Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter AntharioN

Andhaira

Arcane
I suspect it is only a matter of time until somebody tries to break the game by having one party member entirely useless in traditional combat, but smugly pumping every bit of the non-combat skills to the utmost to take advantage of the dev's clarification above on such things not stacking while the rest just become focused engines of whatever sort of destruction and defense.

An option like that being available would not be game breaking, but good design. You could roleplay that character as a diplomat or aristocrat/noble, who had a top quality education but then fell into hard times, and thus used his last few gold to hire some adventurers to protect her.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Definitely wouldn't break the game, but would be a waste of player resources. Having a character standing around doing nothing in combat would be a gigantic drain on party efficiency. Better to give a combat skill to every character and divide up the noncombat duties.

Achiman

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
I'm at the end game (I think) my party is level 20 and I'm heading off to what I think is the second to last area.

My views on the game have changed somewhat:
- The combat isn't deep enough for the amount of hours you have to pump in. Positioning your guys to wack away at lizards, bats, skellies, and snakes each turn when combat is such a large part of the game could have been streamlined I feel. A "cleave" mechanic or perhaps some sort of bonus after you have fought the same enemy type would streamline the fighting. I dunno, maybe I'm saying there is too much trash combat. It's not that I don't like the combat, it just feels too clunky after 20 ish hours, especially as I'm not as desperate for xp as in the early game leveling.

- The plot is serviceable and although there are many books to read about the various histories and whatnot, I've only skimmed over them because the fantasy lore seems just so goddamn generic. What is strange and quirky however is the morality-flavour in the game. I've found several quests where you can bump off various npcs. I've never ever in an RPG had a quest to eliminate hobos (just for being hobos) before though. Also rescuing some prisoners rewards you with a combat note of "you feel warm and fuzzy" so there is some dark humor and potential to be a bastard and be rewarded for it within the game. Good stuff.
- The Mark/Recall spells are great when you get them. There is too much trekking though, being able to buy boats seems pointless (as it's one continent), unless there is some hidden island I haven't discovered not shown on the map.

Anyway, near the end of the game my group is black mage with a side grey magic, a dedicated healer/barter white mage, thief with high foraging and a two handed warrior guy with high lore. The game has received 3 or 4 patches which have improved the tool tips etc, so I would say that if you like Eschalon style games but with a party $17 is very reasonable for the amount of game on offer.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I am playing it every now and then. I am enjoying it but small annoyances are stopping it from true incline for me.

kain611

Augur
Still playing it just haven't posted much on it. I'm enjoying seeing how frequent patches are coming for it.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm playing it as well and enjoying it. Are resources scarce for anyone else? Both in terms of loot but gold and food drops. I tend to get a lot of alchemy ingredients but I'm not putting any points into it and sell all ingredients that I find.

Last edited:

Dyskolos

Cipher
I'm playing it as well and enjoying it. Are resources scarce for anyone else? Both in terms of loot but gold ad food drops. I tend to get a lot of alchemy ingredients but I'm not putting any points into it and sell all ingredients that I find.

I think your setup will make a big difference, but I've been impressed with the balance of scarcity both ways I've played. I restarted from a level 11 combat-heavy party because I hadn't expected the utility skills to matter so much and felt I was missing a lot of the non-combat side of the game. In my current one I pumped lockpicking, pickpocket, lore, and foraging almost exclusively at the start. The foraging noticeably boosted both number and quality of drops - to the point where I'd actually overleveled it relative to my party and was getting stuff for lvl18 when I was lvl11 (but oddly never getting weapons). And pickpocket - with occasional shamefaced save scumming - gives you so much experience relative to everything else that you build more levels in town than in dungeons. But even with all that I was still short on gold through the swamp area since I had to pour it all into keeping combat skills leveled and barter was the one skill I opted not to put anything into.

Honestly, outside of the exploration, most of my fun in this game has come from party planning and management.

Achiman

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
I finished the game last week,
There is no ending... I beat the lizard man guy on the island, then got the staff and went and talked to the councilman. He was asking if I had the staff yet (a bug I think) anyway, then I killed him, got his sweet armor and paid the guards a 1000g bounty. There was no "grats" screen or anything.
I still think I got my monies worth, but I would wait another couple of months while the rough edges get knocked off the game.

mindx2

Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm playing it as well and enjoying it. Are resources scarce for anyone else? Both in terms of loot but gold ad food drops. I tend to get a lot of alchemy ingredients but I'm not putting any points into it and sell all ingredients that I find.

I think your setup will make a big difference, but I've been impressed with the balance of scarcity both ways I've played. I restarted from a level 11 combat-heavy party because I hadn't expected the utility skills to matter so much and felt I was missing a lot of the non-combat side of the game. In my current one I pumped lockpicking, pickpocket, lore, and foraging almost exclusively at the start. The foraging noticeably boosted both number and quality of drops - to the point where I'd actually overleveled it relative to my party and was getting stuff for lvl18 when I was lvl11 (but oddly never getting weapons). And pickpocket - with occasional shamefaced save scumming - gives you so much experience relative to everything else that you build more levels in town than in dungeons. But even with all that I was still short on gold through the swamp area since I had to pour it all into keeping combat skills leveled and barter was the one skill I opted not to put anything into.

Honestly, outside of the exploration, most of my fun in this game has come from party planning and management.
I also went weapons and magic skills first but then realized that I needed to start pumping up the other skills like lock-picking, lore, foraging and barter. I started to do this around level 6-7. I stopped putting any weapon skills into my fighter and just kept giving him barter skill points every level up. The merchant mark-ups were killing my meager gold supply but even at level 11 things are really expensive and those shop keepers are really cheapskates on buying things... :argh:! I feel I can handle most fights with my archer pumped up and causing 30-40 hp damage and she almost never misses. She's the only one I still put archery points into.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Cool glad some bros are playing. I decided to wait a couple months for patching but all forums so quiet I wondered if everyone hated it. Gonna play serpent in staglands while this gets patched.

getter77

Augur
Heh, might want to wait on Staglands as well with that free Expansion in the works and doubtless other misc improvements and fixes alongside it. Definitely more good than bad in this era of post-release support and ongoing dev being a real possibility even if there are ones that drop way earlier in the cycle than they should have.

I still find it amazing how quiet the Antharion devs are on Twitter and all else in general, must have their heads down on all this patching and finishing up the rest of the Kickstarter stuff.

Saxon1974

Prophet
I wonder how much the expansion to staglands will change the base game. The recent post about smoother graphics is interesting. Anyone know if the pixelated look is intentional?

Yea the Antharion devs are really lacking in self promotion. Probably the quietest I have ever seen.

ElderGnome

Literate
I wonder how much the expansion to staglands will change the base game. The recent post about smoother graphics is interesting. Anyone know if the pixelated look is intentional?

Yea the Antharion devs are really lacking in self promotion. Probably the quietest I have ever seen.

I actually don't mind the graphics and prefer them to, say, the graphics in Knights of the Chalice. (Combat system's another thing...)

The game was promoted like Serpent in the Staglands, which is to say almost not at all. I'm up to level 9 in Antharion now and enjoying the game in general, it's not too difficult and doesn't require a lot of thought. Reminds me of just exploring in old-school Pools of Radiance or Might and Magic.

It's a simple little RPG but somehow I'm enjoying it quite a bit. There's nothing groundbreaking about the game, but it's a solid system and a solid exploration-style rpg.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So does anyone know how to patch the DRM-free version of the game? My version is still 1.0.9 but I hear they're up to 1.0.9.3.

Zombra

Patron
Just re-download the main game file and install over your existing game. It doesn't effect your save games.
Herm. The Humble key I was issued was one-use and did not add the game to my library, so I can't download again. Maybe I logged in wrong or something when I redeemed it. :cry:

mindx2

Patron
Herm. The Humble key I was issued was one-use and did not add the game to my library, so I can't download again. Maybe I logged in wrong or something when I redeemed it. :cry:
I just used the link to the download from the original email they sent me. Not sure I even signed in.

Zombra

Patron
Aha! Using the Humble key resender I was able to get the email key again. Looking forward to the patch!

The bad news is that after patching I may never again find amazing treasures such as this:

RZGTxua.png

On an unrelated note, it really tickles me that with all the posted screenshots of the game, no two Codexers have used the same character face. Everyone I've seen so far looks unique.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom