Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Announcing Underrail: Expedition, the first expansion for Underrail, coming early 2017

Jestai

Augur
Patron
The absence of a speedup feature is puzzling. Deep Caverns, The Forge, random caves, going to the merchant sector in CC, going to the electronics shop in Junkyard... I spent hours clicking on red rectangles and WAITING, considering the purpose of my life and spamming the sprint button. This felt SO POINTLESS and SO SLOW, even with the fastest gear... I'm fine going through these well known places, but at least let me blaze past them.

If you have a "components of various qualities" crafting in your game, you have to let people be able to get serious about it, IE coming back every now and then to check if xxx has a new plasma core so you can oneshot 6 enemies instead of 5 before recharging your weapon. Why do I have to pay for this knowledge with 1:30 of my time ? In the end, I pretty much gave up on it. Fuck crafting, fuck merchants, I hope my sledgehammer will carry me until the end.

I'm not asking for fast travel, just something to ease the pain. An option, a feat, a faster cooldown on sprint, whatever.

Which brings me to my second problem with this midgame DLC : I finished the game once. I don't want to keep using my sledgehammer wielding character. I know everything about the sledgehammer. I killed thousands of enemies with a sledgehammer. I don't want to wear a sledgehammer ever again. I want to use psi or firearms or whatever which look neat and all. But I'm not making a new character from the start, even though I'd like to try it. Why? Because I can't be arsed to go from screen to screen at a snail's pace anymore. This really is the major reason.

Even here, on the pretty hardcore Codex, I haven't seen one person who's against a faster mean of travel.

Jestai

Augur
Patron
Also, no one (with a sane mind) wants to customize a (cosmetic) house who's 2:00 away of anything. Everything isn't about time, I know, but when you feel like you already spend an excessive time going back and forth, you sure don't want to go the extra mile without a tangible purpose.

hilfazer

Scholar
Why? Because I can't be arsed to go from screen to screen at a snail's pace anymore. This really is the major reason.

Even here, on the pretty hardcore Codex, I haven't seen one person who's against a faster mean of travel.
Give Cheat Engine a try. It's really easy to configure speedhack. And you can change speed during game with single keystroke.
http://underrail.com/forums/index.php?topic=1662.0

Of course it's not an excuse for developer to not implement speed slider.

Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Also, no one (with a sane mind) wants to customize a (cosmetic) house who's 2:00 away of anything. Everything isn't about time, I know, but when you feel like you already spend an excessive time going back and forth, you sure don't want to go the extra mile without a tangible purpose.

That bothered me as well. I felt the housing idea was pretty nice and well executed - even in this god forsaken level of Core City, it was exciting to customize my own base. But it could have been so much better if we had been given given a small shack in some caves nearby a crossroads, and had then been allowed to slowly upgrade it. Pls, Styg.

ArchAngel

Arcane

That bothered me as well. I felt the housing idea was pretty nice and well executed - even in this god forsaken level of Core City, it was exciting to customize my own base. But it could have been so much better if we had been given given a small shack in some caves nearby a crossroads, and had then been allowed to slowly upgrade it. Pls, Styg.
For Underrail 2 we should get a small shack near some rails that we can in time upgrade to a railway station and grow a little village around that :)

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
About the speed issue I dont remember beign annoyed by it too much but perhaps you guys are right and having a simple speed up option for movement and combat would make things easier and faster for multiple playthroughs

Black Angel

Arcane
For Underrail 2 we should get a small shack near some rails that we can in time upgrade to a railway station and grow a little village around that :)
Pls don't. We all know what happens when you try to put settlement building in an 'RPG'. We all should learn a lesson from Fallout 4. The housing itself was fine, if not for the tedium to get there.

On side note, if Styg got the Balcony Team (the maker of Balrum) to co-develop Underrail 2's settlement building, maybe that would work. I haven't played Balrum, though, so I wouldn't know if Balrum's settlement building would work in Underrail-like game.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Pls don't. We all know what happens when you try to put settlement building in an 'RPG'. We all should learn a lesson from Fallout 4. The housing itself was fine, if not for the tedium to get there.

On side note, if Styg got the Balcony Team (the maker of Balrum) to co-develop Underrail 2's settlement building, maybe that would work. I haven't played Balrum, though, so I wouldn't know if Balrum's settlement building would work in Underrail-like game.
When I proposed that I imagined something more simple, not freeform build like in Fo4. The main purpose would be so you got something you feel is your own and that you could get quests around helping and protecting it.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here

I hate this idea, I know you said you didnt mean that but it automatically brings up the F4 style settlements bullshit. I play a post apoc game to be a lone wanderer and explore, not manage a bunch of retarded NPCs and build treehouses... fuck that shit. If you want a good people managment sim and house builder be a real man and play DF.

Regarding running speed I totally agree the game needs faster speed option, maybe just in 'safe' areas, or where all enemies are cleared, to simulate your slower speed being 'careful' when enemies are about? It drove me nuts those couple of screens I had to plod through over and over in Core City. However they did it in F1 & 2 was perfect as I NEVER felt I was doing any tedious travel across location maps. (Except temple of trials...)

And regarding the map I just see it as a fun little peripheral feature, seriously if you live in caves like these people are maps would be a big deal, hopefuly its something for Underrail 2!

flabbyjack

Arcane
Since we're all shoving ideas at Styg I guess I'll join in...

For Underrail 2 how about instead of a personal vehicle you can build a fortified train-car that you can steer around to different stations and even fight battles with (Heavy cannon, anyone?)

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Since we're all shoving ideas at Styg I guess I'll join in...

For Underrail 2 how about instead of a personal vehicle you can build a fortified train-car that you can steer around to different stations and even fight battles with (Heavy cannon, anyone?)
Only if it fitted with an AI that was build to protect glorious president Trump. It should scream things like "No Muslims allowed!" or "Walls, walls everywhere!" or "Let me grab your pussy, baby!" when it is attacking.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Just here to chime in on the rant on walking speed. I played only like 4 hours of the game yet, and i already loathed staring at my character walking. I am waiting with my first playthrough to this day (and this is fucking hard) because i want you, Styg to listen to your core customer base and fix the one problem that makes most of us enjoy your game to its full extent.

I wont use a cheat engine as it was stated in the forums that it will fuck up the economics of the game due to stock respawn of npcs also being altered.

Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
<- mfw I played a stealth char with no interloper and see people complaining about move speed.

Oh god yes - I'd brofist you, but I'm still a newfag it seems. I think the first time I even played halfway through the game while encumbered. I didn't notice the overweight icon and thought it was the normal walking speed. Good times.
It would be very nice to be able to run though, especially in a game that revolves so much around travelling by foot.

Sneaky Seal

Aurum Dust
Developer
Well the DLC for the best Fallout game since Fallout 2 is something pretty exciting.

Not sure the Black Sea direction is the one I'd like the game going towards. I was hoping to get a chance to explore the surface - some really creative world buidling can be shown there, we can learn of what has happened and maybe meet some surface-dwellers.

jungl

Augur
house building is fine as it is in Underrail. Settlement/house building in fallout 4 was primarily a time waster. Its trying to mimic simulation games like sims and minecraft but those games its done how right because those mechanics are key to the game. house/fortress/settlement building is a complex topic in rpgs. How well its done is how well it correlates with the game its designed for.

In Underrail 2, I want a boat-shack that you can use as a house and sail to wherever. And maybe upgrade it for boat access to places that otherwise take quite a detour to reach (life as usual in Underrail) and and possibly also an admittence fee for access to the ports in settlements, to keep the money burning.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
One does not simply finish a game with that kind of crazy ass end-game
fixed
The endgame wasn't bad, it mighta been p.weird and a little frustrating w/the mushrooms. But I didn't think the spawning enemies hurt it at all, it just made things tense, which I appreciated.

house building is fine as it is in Underrail. Settlement/house building in fallout 4 was primarily a time waster. Its trying to mimic simulation games like sims and minecraft but those games its done how right because those mechanics are key to the game. house/fortress/settlement building is a complex topic in rpgs. How well its done is how well it correlates with the game its designed for.
I bought all the upgrades.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Not sure the Black Sea direction is the one I'd like the game going towards. I was hoping to get a chance to explore the surface - some really creative world buidling can be shown there, we can learn of what has happened and maybe meet some surface-dwellers.

It could be a highly hostile environment you can only spend a short time in, kind of like Metro.

This would be really cool, hopefuly Underrail 2?

epeli

Arcane

It could be a highly hostile environment you can only spend a short time in, kind of like Metro.

This would be really cool, hopefuly Underrail 2?

I doubt we'll be seeing the surface any time soon, and if we ever do, it probably won't be as you imagine. Underrail's backstory is unlike Metro (or Fallout) where the surface was destroyed in a (relatively) recent nuclear apocalypse. It was destroyed centuries ago through non-nuclear means.

People of Underrail, or at least southerners, don't even know of any surface world existing. Only certain scientists make passing references to the possibility of returning to the surface in the future, but their motivations and methods turn from questionable to impossible.

All in all, surface seems irrelevant and long-forgotten. But maybe Styg could let us visit the surface, Arx Fatalis style... :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom