Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Announcing Underrail: Expedition, the first expansion for Underrail, coming early 2017

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Stygian Software; Underrail; Underrail: Expedition

After months of radio silence, in recent weeks Underrail mastermind Styg has been hinting that his team had something new on the way. Today sees the formal announcement of Underrail: Expedition, a nautically themed expansion for the Codex's favorite RPG of 2015. The devlog post has screenshots and details:

Hey guys,

It's been almost eight months since the last formal dev log. That doesn't mean we haven't been busy working on new stuff, however, and now at long last we can announce the first Underrail expansion - "Expedition".

In Expedition you’ll be able to take a break from the usual metro-crawling to take a boat to the infamous Black Sea, a massive underground body of water.

There, among the old and mysterious ruins of an age long past, you’ll face the vicious fauna, hostile natives, cunning pirates, and something far more sinister than all of those.

Your voyage through vastness of the Black Sea will shed new light on the history of the world of Underrail and the forces that shaped it.

Expedition will feature the following:
  • A brand new story line that becomes available during the mid-game
  • Over a 100 new areas to explore of various types – shores and islands of the Black Sea, mysterious underground facilities, pirate strongholds, and more
  • New human factions, as well as wild creatures to combat
  • New items and crafting recipes
  • New skills and feats
  • Leveling past level 25 with a special pool of feats to choose from
Over time we'll be revealing more details through the dev log, so expect those to once again flow regularly as they did before the game's release.

We expect to release the expansion during the first half of 2017 as a paid DLC.​

2017 just got even better.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Looks fantastic!

Especially this screen:
15168.jpg

Pure art.

CRD

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't like the sound of "available from mid-game".

What if we already beat the game? Shouldn't be overpowered our character to play the expansion? Can we go back using a save from late game?

I would have preferred a full new game to be honest

Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Looks really great. Some kind of mix between the "Cove" area from Darkest Dungeon and the subterannean Vendigroth from Arcanum. Good stuff.

Styg

Stygian Software
Developer

What if we already beat the game? Shouldn't be overpowered our character to play the expansion? Can we go back using a save from late game?

Once you unlock the campaign in your current playthrough (there are couple of conditions), you can start it at any time, even after you return from the regular end-game areas.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Once you unlock the campaign in your current playthrough (there are couple of conditions), you can start it at any time, even after you return from the regular end-game areas.

You didn't answer his second question...

ArchAngel

Arcane

You should create an option to start the expansion directly. Let us create a character and give him enough XP to get minimum needed level to do it. And some random gear or some money and a shopkeeper at start of expansion.

Zdzisiu

Arcane

Yeah, it seems like an important question. How will a character that finished the main game fare in the expansion? Will a max level behemoth be overpowered for the content in the expansion and won't find any challenge there? Or will it be just difficult enough for him, and therefore really difficult for a mid-game character? And finally, won't a mid-game character who finished the expansion be significantly more powerful than a mid-game character from the base game, and therefore make the rest of the base game too easy?

Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
You should create an option to start the expansion directly. Let us create a character and give him enough XP to get minimum needed level to do it. And some random gear or some money and a shopkeeper at start of expansion.

Honestly, this sounds like a very short-term thinking. I'd rather have stygian manpower be allocated to content creation or bug fixing rather than some kind of cheat code for people too lazy to create a new character. Hell, we don't even know if it will be save-compatible.

Shin

Cipher
I hope they add a map feature in this expanasion, 100 new areas added to existing ones... can't deal with all that paper on my desk

I second this motion. Navigating these huge caverns was a real pain sometimes. I don't need a mini-map or even a map which shows you where you are, just get me a general map of the entire world so I can figure out my location by landmarks (or the shape of caverns) and such.

But either way this is a day one purchase for me. Underrail was some good shit even though it did turn into somewhat of a slouch at the end. Still, gotta support your incline indie devs.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Honestly, this sounds like a very short-term thinking. I'd rather have stygian manpower be allocated to content creation or bug fixing rather than some kind of cheat code for people too lazy to create a new character. Hell, we don't even know if it will be save-compatible.
I am pretty sure a mid game expansion will drive away a lot of potential buyers. Also some spent a lot of time playing this game and don't want to start over again. We don't know how much we need to play to unlock access to this expansion.
Only reason to start over is if the new content also has a noticeable influence on the rest of the game as well like adding new spells and feats to all parts of the game.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Great! I will postpone beginning with Underrail til this is available, hopefully one can visit this expansion back and forth from the main campaign.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

I would have preferred a full new game to be honest
why don't you just do a second playthorugh with a new char?

Styg

Stygian Software
Developer

It wouldn't be ideal to play with an endgame character, yes, but there might be certain areas and challenges in the expansion that might give even those characters a run for their money.

Only reason to start over is if the new content also has a noticeable influence on the rest of the game as well like adding new spells and feats to all parts of the game.

It will add those and more. Stay tuned to the dev log. ;)

jungl

Augur
shame styggs never added a in game MAP. Even a simple one like the original fallout has would of been awesome. Couldn't get my friends to play it due to no map making it too hardcore and annoying for them. Lot of people loved the original fallout because how immersive and casual it was to get into. Fallout 2 kind of killed this with all its pop culture references alienating fans of the original.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom