Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Ancient Domains of Mystery (ADOM) - now available on Steam and GOG

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Alright, I'll probably give the game a try. I'll even get the graphicool version to support the dev, because I like to support good roguelike devs.

PeachPlumage

Cipher
16E0CABA2906FF18225A8C4A982E63EA87A2FB57

So..... I have a bow and arrows equipped (playing the tutorial), but I can't seem to be able to attack this guy? I right click and choose attack nearest, but it says I do not see Jasede. :M

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Just remember when you get killed by some wildly out of depth monster you never saw before, that it was all your fault for not already knowing the entire monster bestiary.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
If a wildly out of depth monster is generated, you get a warning: "You sense imminent danger..." That's a suggestion to gtfo of the current level and come back later.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
That's kinda how dungeon crawling should work.
Depends on how long the dungeon crawl usually is. It works better in DCSS where your average playthrough to a 3 rune basic win can be as short as a couple of hours and you wont rage too much if you get killed in the middle of it because you only "wasted" 3-5 hours and learned something. Its more rage inducing in longer games if you can get one-shotted after playing for 10-15h. Its just the feeling that you can get a new character back into the same spot relatively fast (In DCSS) that makes you go "Well, it aint that bad" as opposed to longer games when to get to the same point you need to go through another 10h of it.

But I can't really give an educated opinion on ADOM as I played it only a little, getting to the Dwarven City and some kind of Piramid too. So if there is a way to win the game in just a couple of hours (Accessible to average players who just decided not to do the optional content, like a 3 rune win in DCSS) then its all well and good.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
If a wildly out of depth monster is generated, you get a warning: "You sense imminent danger..." That's a suggestion to gtfo of the current level and come back later.
That message also gets generated if the monster in question is a vapour rat or something you could have handled 5 levels ago without getting hurt. It's not like there are a lot of other places to go anyways. If the main dungeon is too dangerous, the only likely place to safely get stronger is the infinite dungeon, which is boring as fuck. It's not like leaving to go and wipe out the puppy cave is going to make you stronger when you're already level 12.

Suiboon

Novice
Bought on Steam. 15 bucks not that much compared to how much time I've already spent on this game.

The UI is still quite clunky but maybe it will get patched at some point.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
How does this game compare to Dungeons of Dredmor?

almondblight

Arcane
Depends on how long the dungeon crawl usually is. It works better in DCSS where your average playthrough to a 3 rune basic win can be as short as a couple of hours and you wont rage too much if you get killed in the middle of it because you only "wasted" 3-5 hours and learned something. Its more rage inducing in longer games if you can get one-shotted after playing for 10-15h. Its just the feeling that you can get a new character back into the same spot relatively fast (In DCSS) that makes you go "Well, it aint that bad" as opposed to longer games when to get to the same point you need to go through another 10h of it.

It's also a problem because you end up doing a ton of tedious shit in ADOM (healer quest, herb farming, sacrificing, etc). Having to spend another 10-15 hours in the game doing different things (because of the randomness) to get back to the same place you were isn't too bad; but having to spend 10-15 hours doing the same thing you did before with a big chunk of that being mindless tedious stuff is.

Elwro

Arcane
Of course, you don't need to do the healer quest. Or use any herbs at all. Changing your habits once in a while may be refreshing ;)

Mozg

Arcane
But I can't really give an educated opinion on ADOM as I played it only a little, getting to the Dwarven City and some kind of Piramid too. So if there is a way to win the game in just a couple of hours (Accessible to average players who just decided not to do the optional content, like a 3 rune win in DCSS) then its all well and good.

Nope, there isn't, at least last time I checked...

Eh? Does it really take that long if you just blitz for the normal ending? I vaguely remember being able to do normal wins in an evening once I started expecting to win every game I began.

I might be wrong, I haven't even played Crawl in a few years and it had been as long since I'd played ADOM before I started playing Crawl.

Elwro

Arcane
In an evening? 50 levels of the main dungeon and the mandatory bits elsewhere? Even if you did only the necessary stuff, this would be astonishing.

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
In an evening? 50 levels of the main dungeon and the mandatory bits elsewhere? Even if you did only the necessary stuff, this would be astonishing.
I'd imagine with Bug Temple cheese, teleport control and knowing all the tricks'n'traps, you can feasibly speedrun the game. Maybe not in an evening exactly, but yeah.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Could you rephrase that? I don't understand what you mean by metagame. Do you mean reading the wiki?
Probably shit like Herb Farming, Pickpocketing and Infinite Dungeon Scumming which are rather tedious strategies which I think got nerfed in the commercial version, although I don't think the creator added anything to compensate for their removal so I imagine the current version is "less winnable" in a sense.

tried this.
seems like an interesting roguelike but holy fuck the interface! shift+z to cast magic spells, ctrl+i to cast psi spells.
do you want to sell loot? good luck entering and exiting the clumsy inventory, dropping items one at a time.
the commands are scattered all over the place, with no apparent consistency whatsoever. even the definitely not stellar angband pisses on this, and it's 30 years old game, not a brand new release.

it's 20goddamn15! it's a videoGAME, not a videoSUFFERING.

Elwro

Arcane
The 'extended drop' command isn't there for no reason.

What's wrong with taking a look at the keyboard command list? ([?] -> [K].)When it comes to ASCII roguelikes ADOM was actually the most intuitive one I knew. I have no idea about the graphical UI, it may be shit for all I know.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom