Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Ancient Domains of Mystery (ADOM) - now available on Steam and GOG

Johannes

Arcane
So what's the point of Steam, what will I get that is not in the current/free version? Is that even known, other than achievements... I can still get a version with all the latest features that I can just start in a console, right, do I need to pay through steam to get that or is it still free?

I've already sent a postcard

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
So what's the point of Steam, what will I get that is not in the current/free version?

The list of steam version profits is the first thing you see when you start the game. Basically nothing.

From memory: achievements; ability to choose star sign yourself upon chargen; some tweaks to make the game easier (optional); "weekly challenges", whatever the fuck it means. And smth else.

Johannes

Arcane
We have a star sign chooser, also an initial stats roller (the server would create new characters until one came up that fulfilled your requirements), on the ADOM ssh server already years ago if you wanted to. Maybe it was part of the ADOM Sage actually, and you could use that offline too.

garren

Arcane
Patron
The creator basically wants to keep the game free like it was before, but if you support him by buying the game you get some small extra goodies like achievements.

ABOUT ADOM ON STEAM
ADOM on Steam will take ADOM gameplay to the next level by introducing the following features (among others) in the next couple of months:
  • 70+ achievements,
  • game customization features (e.g. turning corruption off, increasing treasure rates adjusting monster lethality),
  • ghost creation and exchange between players - be haunted by dead player characters and try to win their treasures,
  • story mode - save and reload your games,
  • exploration mode - use a wand of wishes to discover completely new sides of the game,
  • challenge mode - try to score highest under complex conditions in weekly challenge games,
  • shared and global highscores (TBD),
  • point-based character generation (TBD),
  • star sign selection (TBD),
  • cloud bases save files and so much more (TBD).

Johannes

Arcane
Challenge mode does sound potentially interesting, as does global highscores. But I'm not sure if I'm gonna pay just for a chance to wave my e-penis. Not that he wouldn't deserve the money for all the hours I've spent in this game.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I spent hundreds if not thousands hours on this game years ago.

Still, my way to play this continues to be: download the free DOS version, run it using DosBox, achieve 'real' full screen 40x25 ASCII glory :smug:

I feel I've done my share by submitting many bug reports and feature requests, as well as by supporting the Indie GoGo campaign. And I'm glad about what the free version offers. But guys, please do support Mr Biskup! :)

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
How is something like star sign selection on a list of future features? If he really wanted to put it in, it'd take him about 2 minutes to add. It's an incredibly simple variable to tack on to the existing character creation process.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
16E0CABA2906FF18225A8C4A982E63EA87A2FB57

So..... I have a bow and arrows equipped (playing the tutorial), but I can't seem to be able to attack this guy? I right click and choose attack nearest, but it says I do not see any worthy opponent. :M

almondblight

Arcane
So, what's the status of JADE/ADOM II? It looks like he's not actively developing it at the moment.

Ahh, the memories. When I first got my Internet connection, in '98, first thing I've done was to fire up a FTP client and go and download ADOM. The ftp address and ADOM's review was in Navigator Igrovogo Mira, IIRC. Sweet nostalgia~. :love:

Will buy it on principle, it was my first roguelike and provided me hundreds of entertaining hours.

When I first encountered it back then I savescummed it to death.
Yep, same here. There was no wikis then, the only place where you could receive tips and help on playthrough were either English-speaking newsgroups or message boards, and my English level back then wasn't up to the task. So I savescummed like there's no tomorrow, it was the only way to understand things, given the fact it was also my very first roguelike. Luckily I managed to find info about white unicorn quest, but still I only beat the game once, and got a crappy ending.

getter77

Augur
So, what's the status of JADE/ADOM II? It looks like he's not actively developing it at the moment.

After ADOM gets situated in full as per the IGG campaign, with an obvious allowance for seeing just what the hell happens with the ADOM Steam and such endeavor---from there ADOM II should resume, likely by first availing itself where applicable of the gains ADOM has made of late.

That said, there are certain mysterious bits up in the air that will surely need to be weighed carefully down the line----such as, as per the old reckonings of the last Alpha's, ADOM II wouldn't be compatible at all with NotEye. Also, well, the original plan for it to be wrought of the absolutely latest and greatest in Java was already kind of out there back then....so in terms of where that'll be on the spectrum say, next year...yeah.

Still, main point is: Good leverage points for optimism going forward, they just need to get the ADOM: Resurrected traction going to better set the stage.

Elwro

Arcane
I remember my first death : 'was killed by a giant frog somewhere in a misty swamp'.

'NO GAME IS GOING TO TREAT ME LIKE THIS! OK, let's try once again and avoid stupid deaths.'

The next one was after I kicked a locked door and a falling stone block hit my head.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I've never tried ADOM and was interested in giving it a chance, but if it's filled with random "humor" deaths then maybe I'll just stick with ToME4 and DCSS.

Elwro

Arcane
Nah, these were not 'humor' deaths. One was a fair kill in combat. The other was me learning a valuable lesson. In general I don't think there are any really weird WTF deaths in ADOM which will make you feel you have been cheated,

TigerKnee

Arcane
ADOM doesn't really randomly kill you for "lolz" purposes - there are some mechanics that are pretty fragged though and will cause deaths that wouldn't really be considered that fair unless they fixed it like SuperJackals

spectre

Arcane
I've never tried ADOM and was interested in giving it a chance, but if it's filled with random "humor" deaths then maybe I'll just stick with ToME4 and DCSS.
Actually, it's not. Being familar with the genre you will know that dying is part of the learning process. Apart from the SuperJackals, which is an obvious bug.

That said, I only really recall two types of death in adom that arguably feel random - one is from an early stone block trap, that goes away once you buff your HP a little bit (it also tells you that it's generally a bad ide to go exploring while low on HP) and actually approach the traps in a safe manner by applying detect and disarm traps.

The other death is when you're eaten by a grue in the dark, which is something that's both unavoidable entirely up to chance, but only happens while you are "Doomed" - by the status name alone, you should tell that it's something you should get rid off as soon as possible.

Rest of the stuff is "avoidable", as in you can always attempt to run away or avoid stuff that feels too powerful. As you progress, it pays to read every bit of description and treat every new monster and feature you see like it's trying to kill you.

Last edited:

Elwro

Arcane
In the doomed/darkness case the game also warns you by saying "you might be eaten by a grue" or sth.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom