Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anachronox

Suchy

Arcane
ME14.jpg

skyway, what the fuck?

Redeye

Arcane
Play it.

Yes.

You can skip the combat with cheat codes except some stuff at the end.

Zuikov

Educated
Redeye said:
Play it.

Yes.

You can skip the combat with cheat codes except some stuff at the end.

Thanks for the hint. Maybe I should try Anachronox again...

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Grumpos Rho and stilleto are the ones I used more and probably have the most dialog.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I love how the game tries to be cinematographic using lots of cutscenes with those ugly models and clunky animations.

It feels shallow sometimes, the combat is not very fun, but shit, it just keeps me playing it and I even kinda like it.

Back in the days I didn't manage to finish it because I had some crappy pirated cd-version (it was not possible to get anything else in Russia in those days) and I believe some script didn't work and all the chests didn't contain any items and there was a moment when I needed to get some quest item from the chest to move on...and there were not. So it made the game impossible to finish.

And I hope now I can finish my stable GOG version.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I love how the game tries to be cinematographic using lots of cutscenes with those ugly models and clunky animations.
:killit:

Of all the early 3D games, ie pre-Unreal and pre-Q3 engines, this is the one that has aged the best. I'm still amazed that they managed to put so much life into what's basically Quake 2 models. That faces are extremely expressive and the game does a lot with silent scenes (there's a great one in the solo section with Paco. This really is the game that gets everything right except the gameplay, and it's the only one that I give a free pass because everything else is so damn good, and the gameplay isn't really that bad.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Still one of the best looking RPGs out there.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Look, the game came out in 2001. Criticizing the graphics misses the point with this game, and it's quite rare that a game that was released in 2001 supported 1024x780. I played this game for the first time about 10 months ago and could not stop playing it. The It has a great story with excellent pacing, memorable characters, and it really did almost everything you could ask from it's engine. Yep, it seems clunky now, but its still playable and still runs well.

Probably 2 of my top 5 memorable rpg moments take place in this game. Never played the game when it came out, as I couldn't get over the name of the main character. However, my loss.

Favorite Anachronox Moments
1. When they are stuck in space on the ship for 17+ days. The prolonged cuts-scene out of nowhere as they slowly go mad
2. Finding out how Fatima died and what that set in motion. Very well done and gives a lot of light on the backstory.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
You need to stop being an idiot first.
I must admit that the game is beautiful so you'll consider that I stopped being an idiot?

This is the point?

Yes.

Favorite Anachronox Moments
1. When they are stuck in space on the ship for 17+ days. The prolonged cuts-scene out of nowhere as they slowly go mad
2. Finding out how Fatima died and what that set in motion. Very well done and gives a lot of light on the backstory.

The first spoiler is probably my favourite cutscene in gaming. Very few games have a strong enough sense of style to pull off that kind of lunacy (or, conversely, to get dramatic moments out of characters named "Grumpos" and "Stiletto Anyway")

Last edited:

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Look, the game came out in 2001. Criticizing the graphics misses the point with this game, and it's quite rare that a game that was released in 2001 supported 1024x780. I played this game for the first time about 10 months ago and could not stop playing it. The It has a great story with excellent pacing, memorable characters, and it really did almost everything you could ask from it's engine. Yep, it seems clunky now, but its still playable and still runs well.
Bro, I didn't say the game is bad, I like it, it has some charm for sure and it keeps me playing it now in 2014. If the graphics really matters to me I's only play modern popamole stuff. So this "Yep, it seems clunky now, but its still playable and still runs well." is the thing that works for me.

It's pretty offensive man, everyone has the right for an opinion. I like the game and play it - that's what really matters, I don't say that it's ugly and that's why I won't play it, I do play and enjoy it, but you are calling me an idiot.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I've tried this game twice and had to bail quickly. Need to try again to earn Kodex Kool Kredits.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Doc Bowman is the best party member. Very easy to find new skillz and weapons for her.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Combat is jRPG kind but on Easy it's capable, especially with "\" key that speed up animations.
Rest of the game is just delicious, still best cure after encounters with other games (especially modern one).

zwanzig_zwoelf

Bro, I didn't say the game is bad, I like it, it has some charm for sure and it keeps me playing it now in 2014. If the graphics really matters to me I's only play modern popamole stuff. So this "Yep, it seems clunky now, but its still playable and still runs well." is the thing that works for me.

It's pretty offensive man, everyone has the right for an opinion. I like the game and play it - that's what really matters, I don't say that it's ugly and that's why I won't play it, I do play and enjoy it, but you are calling me an idiot.
Kill yourself already.

Or you could try to make mods for Anachronox.
That's a suicide too.
Sort of.

Also, one of my favourite tracks from the game:

I fucking loved to explore the Red Light District and dance for monies (ffs, one of the most hilarious mini-games I ever played).

Oh, also this:

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom