Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anachronox

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
good and funny jrpg not made by asians which should be downloaded and not bought because the retail version has a fucking high chance of being uninstallable punctuation is for fags

The first hub has a fucking superb cyberpunk atmosphere. It's a must play for any RPG fan even though the ending was highly rushed (the game was only 2/3 complete) but in spite of that it's well worth your time.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
While I didn't like the combat system, everything else about the game is solid. It plays like a JRPG but it's not silly and stupid like most JRPGs. It's actually one of the most atmospheric cyberpunk games I've played.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
JarlFrank said:
It's actually one of the most atmospheric cyberpunk games I've played.
Well, it would have to beat some serious competition, because the 90s saw some very atmospheric cyberpunk games, especially from Origin.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I've always been curious about this game as well. Never played it.

And I just learned the avatar Skyway uses is from this game. Does that mean... this is one of the 5 games out of all games ever created on earth that he likes? O.O Might have to try to find a copy of this.

Hory

Erudite
No, it means that if you want to play Anachronox you'll think of it as role-playing skyway.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Major_Boobage said:
Wyrmlord said:
JarlFrank said:
It's actually one of the most atmospheric cyberpunk games I've played.
Well, it would have to beat some serious competition, because the 90s saw some very atmospheric cyberpunk games, especially from Origin.

Wingcommander, SS?
the two crusader games, bioforge, cybermage.
all pretty good games.

hicksman

Liturgist
I'll put down another vote to play anox. It was highly enjoyable despite being unfinished. The problem is that the unfinished parts can be frustrating because they weren't well thought out. So you might not know what to do, or have the funny feeling that you missed something.

The last patch was done by an ex-programmer and added a fast-forward key to the game. You could speed through the battle animations, which made them much easier to tolerate.

its definitely worth playing, even if you just follow a walkthrough.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
It's a solid game and to be honest it didn't feel that unfinished to me, at worst some parts lacked a bit of polish but still worked. The most frustrating aspects were those involving running back and forth old areas to pick special abilities and weapons for characters, as it required you to constantly return to some place to switch characters (you can't switch them on the fly) and watching unskippable cutscenes for each landing and take-off.

Else the game is badass and sports a terrific sense of humour. I wish the trash combat was possible to skip as it is in Chrono Trigger — and Anachronox takes its inspiration from this game — but otherwise it's good fun.

I actually called my second ferret, who I adopted three weeks ago, Nox.

Fenril

Scholar
Good for some laughs at first, but gets old fast. If you really like the style and the characters it may be worth playing it to the end but it wont be long before you wished the game had not combat/exploration between the speech and cutscenes.

My two cents.

Pliskin

Arbiter
Gragt said:
It's a solid game and to be honest it didn't feel that unfinished to me, at worst some parts lacked a bit of polish but still worked. The most frustrating aspects were those involving running back and forth old areas to pick special abilities and weapons for characters, as it involved constantly returning to some place to switch characters (you can't switch them on the fly) and watching unskippable cutscenes for each landing and take-off.

Kind of reminded me of the KotoR games, in that respect --- only with a funnier story. Some of the lines are so good, it makes you wish the game was a bit more nextgen --- just to get some facial expression to go with the lines of dialogue. As has been pointed out, there's so much NPC cut-scene style dialogue, that somebody made a movie out of it.

Take Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe, mix in KotoR, and an unhealthy fascination with JRPG mechanics, and you get Anachronox. Just make sure you get the unofficial Build46 patch before playing.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
The awesome sense of humor is enough to make Anachronox almost a great game. I hadn't seen such magnificent humor since the old lucasarts adventures.

DraQ

Arcane
Anachronox is what Final Fantasy would look like if it was done by Douglas Adams.

Apart from being essentially a PC-exclusive, western JRPG, this game is pure, crystallised awesome. Even the jpgish gameplay doesn't ruin it as it merely adds somewhat specific flavour to the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom