Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview An Authentic Account of an Embassy from the RPG Codex to Larian Studios

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Gragt you're one lucky sob.

I know. It's too bad you couldn't come since you wanted to as well. That means I would also have had help writing this damn thing. :D

Very nice overview. I can feel the respect you obviously had for Larian there :bro:.

I've liked them before for the games they made and their playfulness, but they treated me very nicely during my visit. And I don't mean it as if I had a special VIP bullshit treatment but just that it was sincere and friendly. We sat down, played their games, chatted about it. It wasn't formal or tense at all. Sometimes I'd tell Swen of how this part reminded me of the first Divinity and he'd share some anecdotes, or Farhang and I would talk of old games.

Great job being so in-depth, but too milquetoast.

Thanks, and don't worry; it's not like I constantly feel that I have to prove something.

Just joking. That was one of the best and informative "previews" I've read in a loooooooooooooooooong time. This article actually helps me see what these games are about and what to expect from them without hyping or buzz-wording the word count. It so puts to shame the so called game journos of today when a fellow Codexer out-writes a so-called "professional".... kudos Gragt.... and kudos to our Prestigious Magazine!!!!! :obviously:

Thanks! That was actually the intent. Previews are typically a small, quick job not very in-depth. I'm a Larian fan and didn't try to hide my enthusiasm but at the same time I tried to give as many facts as possible and comment on them in an objective way. It is a long article but I believe that it deserved it, and anyway I didn't try to pad it with empty words. I know it's a bit naive but the objective was to make something that could be held as an exemple, like if someone wants to write a preview about a game then he'd be refered to mine to see how to do it. Naive, I know, but I wanted to do my best. I'm sure some will shy away when they see the lenght but to be honest I didn't write this for them. Larian took me seriously and showed me their upcoming games and I took my potential readers seriously as well and tried to be as thorough as possible while still being entertaining.

Reading this preview made me very eager to play these video games. Which is a feeling I haven't had for a long, long, LONG time.

That was also the intent. :) Not that I expect to make a big difference but I hope some people still on the fence decided to support the Larian KS campaign because of it.

Joking aside: hooooly fuck that was a fanboygasmic writeup. Not that I blame you or anything, I'd totally blow the DivDiv crew too. It's just shockingly unlike the usual Codex cuntent.

I know the tone is optimistic but that's genuinely how I feel. At the same time I tried to be objective and give facts so people can see why I am optimistic because it doesn't come from nowhere. I dislike the neutral tone so many in the gaming press adopt for that kind of stuff, like they're afraid to show where they stand. Now maybe Original Sin will turn out to be mediocre but I feel, like I wrote it, that it has a lot of potential. I formed that opinion from what I saw, what I've played of Larian before, the links I could make between these two, and what Swen told me they planned to do. It's still hard to properly judge the game from an incomplete alpha where a lot of stuff doesn't work or isn't even there in the first place. I could have complained that a lot of fights involved skeletons, and it was indeed getting a bit boring, but those encounters were only placeholders and would be replaced with other creatures and probably be better designed, so that would have been unfair. At the same time I could see that some parts just worked, like sit next to a guy I've met not even one hour ago, play the game in co-op and just have fun exploring, dicking around with the inventory, try the spells, devise a strategy to get over a tough fight, etc.

I know the Codex is know for it's caustic attitude, and it's one of the things I like (and Swen too!) because it's honest, but it's also because I want to be honest that I wrote the piece that way. If what I played was to be released in a week, believe me that the tone would have been very different, but so far and with so much left to do, it's great!

It reminds me of my youth when I bought TGM and I read it going home from school (1 h of train), I wasn't nearly as much jaded and bitter about games back then (thanks Codex) but that this piece was able to bring me back there is a pleasant surprise.

I'm jaded and bitter too but that's thanks to Oblivion and Bioshock, not the Codex. I joined after discovering that I wasn't the only one who thought that these were, well, not as good as other people believed they actually were.

Also:
I took the opportunity to mention the bugged bed that you can put in your inventory and carry everywhere with you in the game, making it quite valuable. He chuckled, "Ah, so you found it! It is something that was never intentional but that we intentionally never patched." The bugged bed and Larian's attitude towards it is the kind of little detail that helps the game develop an identity, and it is also something that so many other developers lack - that sense of playfulness and the desire to open possibilities, intended or not, to the player.
I loved this as well, cool to know that they didn't patch it on purpose. :)

Just as I said it's the kind of very small detail that tells you a lot.

Maxos informed us that now was the time to get married. This was to be a political marriage: every race would bring their princess on the ship next turn so we could pick one of them, and of course refusing was not an option.
Not sure on how it's presented, but would be nice if refusing was something doable...

It's just something you are forced to do. Maxos being Maxos and awesome just tells you that you have no say in this and the decision is out of your hands since it's a political move. The only choice you have is which princess to pick since in the end it won't change much in the eyes of your people. As a nice touch you don't even tell the princess you picked her but you need to report back to Maxos to tell him who you will marry and he'll make the arrangements.

Hype for Dragon Commander:
From weak curiosity to: Jesus! I want this gaem, now!!!!!

Gragt, you should work for IGN.:lol:

IGN? Are you sure that's a compliment? :rpgcodex:

I had the same reaction when Farhang showed me the game. I was only midly interested because it looked nice and it was a Larian game but then he showed me the Raven, the various choices you can have and the funny reactions from the councilors, then there was the lovely strategic map, and I just thought: "hold on, that's not what I expected at all!".

Nope, I wouldn't change a thing about that piece if I had the chance to re-write it. I quoted the devs directly on the launch date. What I meant was that it's pretty critical in the mechanics-department ;)

You say that because you only got mountain dew and doritos while i got a divinity anthology. :smug:

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I'll consider it after I recover from this one. :lol: It was a lot of stress trying to work on it in my very limited free time while still having to deal with my job. Now that the tension is gone I feel literally exhausted but happy that it received such a warm reception.

DeepOcean

Arcane
It was well written, it wasn't boring to read and didn't wasted time on little details that are only going to make sense to someone who played and actually talk about important stuff, instead of AWESOME GAME, fanboy mode. The admission in the end that you don't like RTS games, so you are unable to judge the quality of the RTS part is very good.

When I said that you should work for IGN, I was joking about the good hype generated (you were honest and the game appear to be just very good) by your preview and didn't compared you with a IGN journalist, I wouldn't call any intelligent human being that, even a whore have more principles than them.

Pike

Novice
Great read, definitely pledging the $65 for both games. Dragon commander sounds better than expected, like you I occasionally enjoy RTS but its not a big thing for me. Looking forward to oppressing the elves with my evil heteronormative bigotry now though (the rest of it sounds fun too).

ironyuri

Zqpcn.png

A most excellent piece of work.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Quite frankly, the imps are crazy and care about nothing but technology and science; their loose sense of ethics means that, to them, there is almost no boundary between right and wrong — science and progress are all that matters.

I'm playing through Div2 right now and saw this as relevant:

bddA269.jpg

:lol: You know what i thought looking at that ?
Replace all the "yukies" by "Josh", "humans" by "Larians", and "imps" by "Rogueys", that should result in a fair depiction of the guy's bewilderment when it comes to Divinity...

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
It reminds me of my youth when I bought TGM and I read it going home from school (1 h of train), I wasn't nearly as much jaded and bitter about games back then (thanks Codex) but that this piece was able to bring me back there is a pleasant surprise.

I'm jaded and bitter too but that's thanks to Oblivion and Bioshock, not the Codex. I joined after discovering that I wasn't the only one who thought that these were, well, not as good as other people believed they actually were.

That didn't come out as intended.
The Codex taught me the difference between a good game and an awful game and made me refine my opinion on what I consider good by providing an endless amount of informed opinions and arguments.
And that is a good thing mind you.
The "downside" is that I am no longer able to revert back to being blind to the decline and this has dramatically changed my perspective on what I enjoy.

One of the examples would be Oblivion proper, I really wanted to enjoy it but I kept losing interest no matter how much I modded it, it still felt stale and boring.
I do not live in a place where I could freely discuss videogames and I have used Gamespot and RPGfan reviews to form an opinion and have some sort of feedback.
Imagine my reaction when I first found the Codex and read what some people here think about games I have enjoyed in the past and how much I felt at home considering the freedom of expression and the some of my questions about Oblivion answered even before I asked them.

That I also dig the disillusioned tone of the forum, the edginess and the crazy internet personas that I have had the pleasure to read since 2008 in this place is just icing on the cake.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
OK will consider getting Dragon Commander too; Not telling I am hyped or ITZ good game but expected just another meh RTS game with DRAGONS and got something unique and ambitious instead...
Which means it can still bomb and tank in 100 horrible ways. :troll:

:bro: For Gragt from
Zqpcn.png
It better to be good Son.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
I wasn't very interested at Dragon Commander at all; now I am. And even more hyped for Original Sin. Damn you, Gragt and your irresistible hype-machine!

Zqpcn.png
Good job, in other words!

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
It certainly is a most exquisite piece of work. Thank you very much for putting so much effort into this preview.

Lest I forget - I'm pretty grateful for indirectly reassuring me that opting for the "Dragon Commander" add-on was a judicious move - my interest in the game has spiked considerably.

A user named cat

Wow, great preview indeed. Didn't know much about Dragon Commander before, now eager to play it. Actually sounds like a Total War game combined with King of Dragon Pass. I too had thought it was just going to be an RTS. I'll probably be one of those also using the auto-resolve quite a bit, just as I do in Total War games since RTS battles just get tiresome. The C&C bits sound like great fun with tons of different outcomes.

kaizoku

Arcane
Crooked Bee could you edit the article so as to include the date of Gragt 's visit to Larian's studios?

I think it is important to put the interview in perspective to where Larian was currently at with their development.

Maybe as the last paragraph of the introduction.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom