Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview An Authentic Account of an Embassy from the RPG Codex to Larian Studios

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Oh lord I didn't even realize you also previewed Dragon Commander.

Most importantly though:

The presentation of Original Sin came to an end, but I still had one lingering question about the affinity system. As I described earlier, various stats track what could be best described as the personalities of the main characters, and these in turn define how well they get along and how their relationship will evolve as you follow the story. That sounds interesting, but what exactly is the impact on the game? Swen answered that it would only affect the story. I saw this as a missed opportunity. Wouldn't it be possible for the relationship between the heroes to influence their performance in combat or other situations? There comes a point if you really know and trust someone that you simply know how that person will perform in a given situation and rely on them that way, and likewise you might also know when to not count on them. One simple way to have this reflect on the gameplay could be for exemple to have the heroes share a bonus to defense if they care for each other, or on the contrary have them deal more damage to vent their aggression because they find it painful to be together. I like good stories in general, and in a CRPG it can be a good incentive to keep going, but when elements of the story have an impact on the gameplay it is possible to create something truly memorable. One recent example I can think of is the spirit meter of Mask of the Betrayer, showing how dangerous the curse that afflicted the main character was and that all that talk of urgency was actually true instead of mere flavour. I described my idea to Swen.

What happened next surprised me. Swen looked very interested and called David Walgrave, producer of Original Sin, and had me explain my idea again. David listened, we discussed it, and it turns out that they had some ideas for various skills that they didn't know where to fit, and tying them to social skills actually made sense. Eventually David turned to Swen and asked why they didn't come up with that themselves. So there you go, the Codex's modest contribution to improving Divinity: Original Sin! Jokes aside, it tells you a lot about the Larian people, that they're open-minded enough to listen to suggestions from any source and consider them seriously.
:bro: to all parties involved. That is exactly how one should respond and adapt to criticism.

Misconnected

Savant
Pfft! It's all vapourware. Gragt's insatiable sandwich frenzy's eaten up their budgets :p

Joking aside: hooooly fuck that was a fanboygasmic writeup. Not that I blame you or anything, I'd totally blow the DivDiv crew too. It's just shockingly unlike the usual Codex cuntent.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Glad you guys like it. You don't know how much time I spent on that stuff.

:rpgcodex:

And thanks a lot to Infinitron and Crooked Bee for editing my shit prose. There comes a point when you can't see some stupid mistakes you left in your text for 3 weeks.

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
That was a really fine read.
It's been a while since I felt this interested and entertained by a preview/review.
It reminds me of my youth when I bought TGM and I read it going home from school (1 h of train), I wasn't nearly as much jaded and bitter about games back then (thanks Codex) but that this piece was able to bring me back there is a pleasant surprise.
:bravo:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
:bro::yeah:

Also:
I took the opportunity to mention the bugged bed that you can put in your inventory and carry everywhere with you in the game, making it quite valuable. He chuckled, "Ah, so you found it! It is something that was never intentional but that we intentionally never patched." The bugged bed and Larian's attitude towards it is the kind of little detail that helps the game develop an identity, and it is also something that so many other developers lack - that sense of playfulness and the desire to open possibilities, intended or not, to the player.
I loved this as well, cool to know that they didn't patch it on purpose. :)

Maxos informed us that now was the time to get married. This was to be a political marriage: every race would bring their princess on the ship next turn so we could pick one of them, and of course refusing was not an option.
Not sure on how it's presented, but would be nice if refusing was something doable...

Severian Silk

Oops, I read the thread title as, "An Authentic Account of an Embassy from the RPG Codex to RPG Watch". I was like, "What?!"

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Still no images in article. :(

It has to be something with the Frontpage, I have no errors anywhere else, neither on the forum.

untitled10xs35.png

Connection is fine also, before when I reported the problem first I had a crappy UMTS stick, now highspeed internet like this, but still no images in frontpage articles.

EDIT: No, the codex is whitelisted for my adblock. I see all the ads.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
It's just shockingly unlike the usual Codex cuntent.

Codex has been bitching for 10 years because no one has catered to us. No one has wanted to make the games we wanted to play. Someone comes along and shows interest in making those kinds of games, Codex gets hyped. Like I wrote in my own content, it's about time we have actual games to discuss again here.

While I certainly wouldn't have written the article with as much obvious optimism as Gragt, it's his piece and his style. As long as he investigated the material properly (which he obviously did, look at that fucking amount of detail), we're still a million years in front of most gaming news venues :P

So yeah, :bro: to Gragt.

Now we just need access to a preview-copy of MMX so someone can write a preview of that which isn't total garbage like... oh, I don't know, every single preview on MMX so far?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
While I certainly wouldn't have written the article with as much obvious optimism as Gragt

Heh, a lesson learned.

Nope, I wouldn't change a thing about that piece if I had the chance to re-write it. I quoted the devs directly on the launch date. What I meant was that it's pretty critical in the mechanics-department ;)

Misconnected

Savant
While I certainly wouldn't have written the article with as much obvious optimism as Gragt, it's his piece and his style.

No offence intended, but that makes me glad you didn't write it. It's not just refreshingly different, it gives a real sense of just how thrilled Gragt was by it/them all :)

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Quite frankly, the imps are crazy and care about nothing but technology and science; their loose sense of ethics means that, to them, there is almost no boundary between right and wrong — science and progress are all that matters.

I'm playing through Div2 right now and saw this as relevant:

bddA269.jpg

DeepOcean

Arcane
Hype for Dragon Commander:
From weak curiosity to: Jesus! I want this gaem, now!!!!!

Gragt, you should work for IGN.:lol:

tadhg

Educated
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Why would you wish IGN upon him? That seems a cruel punishment for writing such a well-done in depth article.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom