Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Amiga-exclusive blobbers

V_K

Arcane
What are the good ones?
And by good I mean heavy on puzzles, preferably inventory-based (but DM-style will also do), and ideally (but not mandatory) non-linear world structure (i.e. more grimrock 2 than grimrock 1)
Doesn't matter RT or TB. Come to think of it, they don't even have to be blobbers, just puzzle-heavy RPGs will do too.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Only good one I can think of is Black Crypt. Tried to play Evil's Doom recently, but the current version doesn't run on Win 7.

Epsilon

Cipher
fate: gates of dawn
Also Crystal Dragon, Captive and Liberation (Captive 2) and although strictly not a blobber as you can move characters independently of eachother Hired Guns. The first two Eye of The Beholder games can be had in AGA versions with automapping as well. Non blobber puzzle'ish rpg "Dreamweb" though that might be available on dos as well?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Hall of Light has a subgenre of Dungeon Crawler with 102 entries, of which 25 are listed as Amiga originals and 49 are unknown as to being Amiga originals. The former include Black Crypt, Crystal Dragon, and Liberation: Captive II; the latter include Captive, Fate: Gates of Dawn, and Perihelion: The Prophecy (AFAIK these three games are all Amiga originals). If you're interested only in games exclusive to the Amiga, you can create an additional limitation for there not having been any conversion of the game, which yields 40 results, although I wouldn't expect this information to be completely accurate.

TigerKnee

Arcane
I still haven't had the time to get Fate running on an Amiga emulator

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Yeah, for exclusives I'd say either FATE: Gates of Dawn for a massive open-world RPG or Black Crypt for that tradition DM-like dungeon crawl.

There's also Ambermoon, which technically isn't a blobber (it uses a tactical grid combat), but you still explore dungeons and cities in a 3D first-person view.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Here are some that look interesting and that I've never heard of:

Dungeons of Avalon
449_dbs1.png

Crystal Dragon
3136_dbs1.png

Evil's Doom
5088_screen27.png

5088_screen22.png

5088_screen26.png

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
CRPG Addict played Dungeons of Avalon.

Another blogger played Crystal Dragon and to my surprise (since it sounds so boring) liked it.

I took Evil's Doom for a spin on my previous PC with Windows XP, and it looked glorious for an Amiga game. Unfortunately when it came to actually playing it I couldn't get the Thecompany package (Windows EXE with emulator included) to run on Windows 7. Hopefully it will be updated for Win 7 some time.

Anyway, this thread was supposed to be about good Amiga exclusives...

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I've played Evil's Doom in win7, but tit seems some recent windows updates are borking it:

thecompany.pl said:
If you have a problem with not working v2.5 execs uninstall & hide this patches from Windows Update:

KB3045999
KB3068708
KB3022345

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Did they fix the bugs in Evil's Doom or is it still the buggy alpha/beta-version which has been available for ages?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I've played Evil's Doom in win7, but tit seems some recent windows updates are borking it:

thecompany.pl said:
If you have a problem with not working v2.5 execs uninstall & hide this patches from Windows Update:

KB3045999
KB3068708
KB3022345

Ah, that explains it! I could swear that it was on my current Win 7 machine I tested Evil's Doom.

Makes me wonder what other games will stop working when updating Win 7...

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Did they fix the bugs in Evil's Doom or is it still the buggy alpha/beta-version which has been available for ages?
I believe this version (v1.8) is the most recent and can be played to the end.

V_K

Arcane
Makes me wonder what other games will stop working when updating Win 7...
Dark Disciples 2 stopped running on my main laptop for some reason. Still works on the shitty netbook though.
Although I can swear I disabled Windows updates first thing after I bought the laptop, so it may be some unrelated thing.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Black Crypt for that tradition DM-like dungeon crawl.
Is it strictly a DM-clone or deviates in some ways from the formula?

It's not very original, has rather poor level design (each floor is self contained) and the spell effects are just swirling colours, not "real" fireballs like in DM and CSB, but I still rate it as the third best RTB.
Also, it had automap before Lands of Lore (was discussed in another recent thread).

And what about Knightmare?

Never got around to play that one, but it got decent reviews and is supposed to be hard.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Knightmare is based on english youth 'competiton' show with puzzles and shit. Not sure how faithful it is though.

V_K

Arcane
Knightmare is based on english youth 'competiton' show with puzzles and shit. Not sure how faithful it is though.
Wikipedia says not faithful at all.
I tried it for half an hour many years ago, but all I remember is a walking tree NPC giving me a quest. Dropped it because I wasn't into RT blobbers back then.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

thecompany.pl said:

KB3045999
KB3068708
KB3022345

Hmm...I can't find KB3022345 on my list of Windows updates, but I uninstalled the other two, but Evil's Doom will still not start.

V_K

Arcane
I just downloaded it and it works like charm on my never updated win7.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom