Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

American Hare

Chefe

Erudite
I'm banking on the assumption that the lack of graphics will greatly simplify things. When I say simple, I mean programming wise, not organizationally. Just like writing a book is simple at its most basic level - you just need a pencil and a piece of paper. What I wrote out I assumed was a basic OO approach. Do you have any links to the two games you mentioned?

I see what you are referring to now, and yes that would be the easiest; and would be, for all intents and purposes, an adventure game.

I figure most of the challenge lies in how to structure the scenarios to where they feel organic rather than contrived. Where they are part of a story instead of transparent quest dispensers. Also, keep in mind what I am proposing now is very toned down from American Hare and is something that I can actually manage. That's not to say it's pointless, the complete opposite in fact. Maybe it's overly ambitious trying to do something different, but I just cannot stand playing this junk that keeps coming out. There needs to be *something* different out there - even if it's small. Then I can say I actually accomplished something in my so far meaningless life; and if sends a shock wave through the industry and features storytelling so compelling and controversial that people cannot help but play through it and cry to developers that they should put effort into their stories, then all the better. If I fail miserably, hey, at least I tried.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
PARPG has a rather complex explanation for their approach to the system, and my game doesn't have an explanation page at all.

Both, however, aim to offer player quests dynamically and let them shape the story in a semi-organic fashion.

We're all driven by the same goal... the sense that some things are simply not being done by the gaming industry, things that can and should be done, yet inexplicably they're not.

Mojo

Scholar
You know Chefe, you should try learning programming for a simple engine like Wintermute or the text game engine you mention. It's not hard if you have the time. I remember messing around with Wintermute and finding it quite easy to get around it, even though I had no previous experience with programming. You search for engines like it, i.e: engines with graphical interfaces, minimun programming required, extensive documentation and helpfull forums. You can get your game done by adapting your concept to the limitation of such engines and getting some art done.

Good luck with your project btw :wink:

Chefe

Erudite
I think I'm going to try my hand at VB.NET. I've looked at ready made engines and they all seemed to needlessly complex for what I'm trying to achieve (most deal with graphics and such). Anyways, my project will be small but significant, and not American Hare. I've got a good outline for the new idea but I'd like to have something accomplished before I get feedback. I am keeping the idea of an anthropomorphic hare, of course. ;)

Eldritch

Scholar
If you're going to include some pictures along with the text would you prefer your anthropomorphic jackrabbit to be more of a freakishly realistic cross between a bunny and a human with disturbing rodent features and proportions or just a stylized jazz jackrabbit/ sam&max kinda cool/cute rabbit with style?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom