Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

American Hare

Murk

Arcane
Man you really know what kind of carrot to dangle...

Because... it's just not right.

I was taking it as a joke, but I don't think I should take that stuff as a joke anymore. The Codex seems to be a place that is very susceptible to harboring... bad people. I shouldn't be encouraging these kinds of choices.

In fact, it's probably better if I don't do this game at all.

hpmons

Novice
But you have talent in your writing! If youre really not comfortable with your evil path, you could just tone it down a bit.

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
Carrie Underwood said:

I was taking it as a joke, but I don't think I should take that stuff as a joke anymore. The Codex seems to be a place that is very susceptible to harboring... bad people. I shouldn't be encouraging these kinds of choices.

If you don't want to make your game then just come straight up and say it instead of trying to make up an excuse how you can't handle it.

Jedi_Learner

Liturgist
Stop being such a pussy Chefe. Either make the fucking game, or stop wasting our time.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
Carrie Underwood said:

Oh god, is this like a doublejewbluff, where you've pretended to be a guy who pretended to make a game who decided to make the game and then fails.

If so, you're a doughy pile of fail.

Murk

Arcane
haha, dude if you don't want to make the game you don't have to - this thread was fun by itself.

you cant get guilt-tripped into a major project like actual game development

Fez

Erudite
Mikayel said:
haha, dude if you don't want to make the game you don't have to - this thread was fun by itself.

you cant get guilt-tripped into a major project like actual game development

We can damn well try.

Murk

Arcane
quick, find out where he lives and send him a nasty letter - nothing like "you're a busta" written with a felt tipped pen on a rough post card when it comes to telling people off

that'll set him straight

I'm turning a new leaf. That old path is behind me. I will not tolerate that kind of behavior any longer. For me to write a path so evil as what was planned... could destroy humanity as we know it. Someone has to take a stand here. Someone has to climb up on the moral high ground.

Would the game be as good with a bad path that didn't involve child rape and man eating?

I think I could get guilt tripped into game development. You guys just aren't trying hard enough... bunch of under achievers.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Chefe, you would really disappoint Cardtrick if you didn't make the game. Didn't he already begin to write an engine for you? You should damn well make this game, no matter how you feel about it. It's your duty. You have given hope to all the people here, and now you cannot just leave us when your task becomes a bit harder. Only pussies run away, real men do what they have to. Be a man, chefe.

Be a man.

Who ever said I was a man?

shocking-news.jpg

Cardtrick hasn't posted anything in a while. He might not be able to make the engine.

hpmons

Novice
I do hope cardtrick still continues with his engine, this thread has rekindled some design ideas of my own...Im sure there are several people who would want to use his engine if he finished it. (And perhaps that would help motivate you to continue with American Hare!)

I have to write American Hare, for the sake of humanity.

To fight this great evil that permeates video games, from killing prostitutes to slicing heads off, that is degrading the fabric of our gaming population, the solution is not to abstain from any form of this digital conduct. The solution is to give gamers something choices so evil, so vile, so wicked, so disgusting, and so morally reprehensible that after playing through these choices they will feel like the absolute scum of the earth. Wanton killing should not be lightly punished by moving the player a few screens back, or removing some money from their inventory. It should be punished with a vengence. Your character, which is an extension of yourself, will die in a most cruel way, or live scarred for the rest of the game.

Fight fire with fire? I fight fire with the sun.

And so, I present you with another excerpt... from American Hare. As played by a character who has earned the personality type "Demented".

- Saw his head off

Your mouth turns dry. Your eyes begin to water. You grab the man known as Xavier by his long hair and pull his head back towards you. He squirms and cries.

Xavier: "PLEASE GOD DON'T KILL ME! PLEASE GOD!"

You push your knee further into his spine to stop his moving. The wood handle of the butcher knife itches your hand. Steady... steady...

Xavier: "OH GOD NO! NO! GOD NO! STOP! I DON'T WANT TO DIE!"

It is almost as if you can feel the cold blade against his skin. Your tongue tries to halt cotton mouth. It's moving furiously inside your mouth.

A light breeze blows through the windows. Fresh air. For a second all is calm.

Then you cut.

Xavier's screams echo throughout the beautiful mansion overlooking a clean, blue bay. Your knife digs into his neck. Blood spills out onto the Persian carpets. Your victim's screams soon turn into desperate gasps for air.

You pause. You think Xavier is trying to say something.

Xavier: "I... give... an... e... the... ang... pl... ease..."

- [Continue slowly cutting]
- [Swiftly end his life]
- "What?"

You shrug, and continue cutting. The neck is tough, so you switch to a savage sawing motion. Switch to a savage sawing motion. That's kind of a tongue twister. Try saying that five times fast! Switch to a savage sawing motion. Switch to a savages awing motion. Swish to a avage sawsing moshun. Wich ta a avage sewing motin.

You chuckle. The knife slips and hits bone. The screams muffled by heavy gasps of air is unlike anything you have heard before. Xavier might be trying to say something, but his throat is too far gone to make any sense of it.

The bone poses a problem.

- [Cut through the bone]
- [Cut around the bone]
- [Stop cutting]

You bite your lip and pool all your strength into your right arm. Your arm turns into a chainsaw as you slice through Xavier's spine.

Breathing. Heavy, heavy breathing. That's all you can hear. Breating and muffled moans. You hear no other sounds. The sun shines through the window. Blood seems to be hanging in air, floating by itself. Everything is stagnant... except for you.

Your eyes and head bobble in sync. It's as if you are doing some odd dance. A dance of the butcher. You bite hard on your lip. The taste of your own blood is very warm. You begin to hum a light tune as you move back and forth.

Back, and forth. Back, and forth. Hum, hum. Hum, hum hum. Back, and forth. Back, and forth.

You are an artist, and man is your canvas. You sever the spinal column and work your way around the circumference of the neck. The rest of the neck goes pretty easily.

Your head cutting skills have improved! What an odd thought. You laugh as the last inch of flesh is split. You hear the last breath escape from Xavier's mouth.

Xavier is dead.

You are finished. You now hold Xavier's head, by the hair, in your left hand.

- [Toss the head aside]
- "So, how's it hanging, X?"

The head doesn't answer.

- [Toss the head aside]
- "Oh, come on. Don't be like that."

The head just hangs there.

- [Toss the head aside]
- "Can't we just let bygones be bygones?"

You toss Xavier's head to the side and look down at the decapitated corpse. A bone surfaces from the mush of flesh, blood, and muscles. Disgusting. And smelly. He really needs to take a shower.

You feel hungry.

- [Survey the room]
- [Search Xavier's body]
- [Leave]

You wipe your hands, covered in wet blood, on your jacket. It doesn't really do anything. There's blood everywhere. You look around. The room looks the same as when you entered, except for the headless corpse on the floor, and the expensive Persian carpet has gained a red hue.

Your stomach growls. Your cotton mouth becomes damp with saliva. Your eyes gravitate towards the mini fridge next to the couch.

- [Open the mini fridge]
- [Check outside the door]
- [Check outside the window]
- [Search Xavier's body]
- [Leave the room]

You slowly open the door and peek outside. There's no one in the hallway. You wait a few minutes and listen. Still nothing. You close the door.

You are very hungry. Your head sways.

- [Open the mini fridge]
- [Check outside the window]
- [Search Xavier's body]
- [Leave the room]

Food. Need food. Who needs food? You need food. You creep over to the mini fridge and open it. There's not really much inside. You see a few bottles of Fargo Trader's premium lager. In the far corner of the top shelf there is a half eaten bag of Chunk's Chocolate Bites.

- [Drink some beer]
- [Eat some chocolate]
- [Close the fridge]

Eating chocolate, or any cocoa product for that matter, is a bad idea for an animal.

- [Eat it anyway]
- [Drink some beer]
- [Close the fridge]

You close the mini fridge. Beer is just empty calories. You need something with substance. Your stomach roars as your head becomes dizzy. The smell of blood and sweat fills your nostrils. You think it doesn't smell too terrible.

You slowly turn and look at Xavier's corpse.

Now, there's a thought.

- [Search the room for food]
- [Investigate Xavier]
- [Open the mini fridge back up and get wasted]

As you move towards Xavier, it almost feels as if you are dragging your body forward. You trip on a turned up piece of carpet and fall on your knees, but catch yourself with your right hand. The knife in that hand almost slices through your thumb.

After spending several minutes lifting your tired body back up, you glide towards the corpse. You reach his feet and look forward, down his back. You slowly draw your eyes up towards his neck. Most of what's left of it is drenched in red.

Red? Blood. Right. Not like red dye, or something. It's blood.

Your mouth begins to salivate again. Your tongue moves across your two prominent buck teeth. Rabbits were made for gnawing. Some nice red meat would sure taste nice right about now.

Were rabbits originally carnivorous? Well, you're technically a hare, not a rabbit, but they weren't carnivores either. It must be this human DNA. Hares don't eat meat, but you guess that humanoid hares do.

Your hand, almost by it's own will, firmly grips the knife as in anticipation. You are so hungry.

- [Eat Xavier]
- [Look around for food]

You back away, accidentally dropping the knife as you do so. You... can't. You can't eat him. Would it be wrong? So wrong. He might even have some kind of disease.

What did you get sick from, Mad Cow? No, Mad Human.

You laugh. It hurts your empty body.

You walk over to the elegantly carved armoire and search through the drawers. Nothing. Most of the items you see are fuzzy, but none look like food.

You step back and almost fall. Your head feels as if it weighs a hundred pounds, and it's spinning. You grab your head in attempt to stabilize it. You spin around and drop to your knees. Tired. So tired.

You see a couch. You see a fridge. You see an open dresser... building... thing. French word. What? You see chair. You see body. You see painting. You see Spot. See Spot run. Run, Spot, run.

- [Go to the couch]
- [Go to the fridge]
- [Go to the French dresser thing]
- [Go to the chair]
- [Go to the body]
- [Go to the painting]
- [Go to Spot]
- [Pass out]

You do not see Spot any longer.

- [Go to the couch]
- [Go to the fridge]
- [Go to the French dresser thing]
- [Go to the chair]
- [Go to the body]
- [Go to the painting]
- [Pass out]

You crawl forward, so desperately hungry and tired and dizzy, towards the couch. Like a wild animal, you tear it up. You throw off the cushions and rip through the upholstery with your teeth. It doesn't taste good. Tastes like couch. Your hands ravage the couch searching for food, but alas, nothing has dropped between the seats.

You drift backwards and fall down. Which way did you fall?

Face up. It has to be face up because you can see the ceiling.

Your hand feels heavy.

- [Lift your hand]
- [Pass out]

You lift your hand in front of your face. It's shaky. There is nothing in it, but it still feels heavy.

Oh, wait. It's your right hand that feels heavy. You're looking at your left, which does not feel heavy. You struggle to set up, then look down to the right.

Your hand is clenched in a fist. There looks to be something in it. You lift your hand up to your face. It's about a foot away. The object in your hand is fuzzy. It looks kind of long, and rounded at the top.

So... hungry...

You bring the object closer and squint. Is that?

It can't be.

Can it?

You're holding a legbone. Did you find a legbone in the couch? Did you find one in the dresser? Did you find one in the fridge? How long have you been holding this?

What kind of meat is it? It... it looks like chicken.

- [Examine it]
- [Lick it]
- [Set it down]
- [Bite into it]

You slowly bring it forward to your drooling mouth. You stretch out your tongue and taste. It's salty. Some flakes of the skin strip off and grasp on to your tongue. It tastes so good. It tastes like chicken. You slide the stringy pieces in your mouth along your gums. So thin. So good.

The taste. Oh, God, the taste! It fills your mouth. You tremble with excitement over the upcoming feast.

Sleep almost takes you for a second. You are tired. Oh, so tired.

- [Lick it some more]
- [Bite into it]
- [Hide it in the fridge]
- [Pass out]

You cannot take it anymore. You descend upon the chicken leg like a wolf upon a wounded sheep. You tear the skin off in a frenzy. The meat is like honey in your mouth. Ecstasy, pure ecstasty, is what you feel. Your stomach screams in delight as the first eaten pieces make their way down your pipes.

Watery. You taste something watery. And a little sticky.

The room is swimming in colors. Red, blue, green, yellow, hearts, stars, clovers.

And blue moons. Mostly green... and some red. More red. Green and red. Happy holidays, everybody!

Wait... what? Holiday? Green and red holiday?

You chew, and gnaw, and rip, and chew.

Your eyes dart back and forth, back and forth. Something is watery and dripping. You pause your feasting and look down at the chicken leg. It's... is that... blood? The chicken leg... has blood coming out of it. It contrasts heavily with the green swirls you see around the room, that have oddly just turned blue. Or, just oddly turned blue. Blue, oddly? Now they're yellow. Now they're all different colors.

The blood flowing from the chicken seems to dance.

- [Continue eating]
- [Hum a tune along with the dancing leg]
- [Try and see how it's bleeding]

You pull your mouth back and run a finger along the leg. The blood seems to be coming from everywhere. It's practically gushing. You tear some more meat off, and golly there's a lot of it, and see the bone. It is a normal bone.

You follow the blood dripping onto the floor with your beating eyes.

Wait... how can eyes beat? Like a drum, that's how! Ba dum dum, bish!

Take it away, Steve.

- [Continue eating]
- [Follow the blood trail]

Your insatiable hunger is not yet satisfied. Is that an oxymoron? Ha! Yes, yes it is! No, wait. A paradox?

You are ripping apart the flesh much slower now. Instead of feeling stronger from the food, you feel... weaker. The swirling colors start to dull. Your tongue becomes limp. The taste of salt and chicken begins to fade.

You struggle to chew more off. You bite into the bone, and rip some of that off too. It splinters in your mouth. You spit it out.

You are going to pass out. You cannot stay awake much longer. Why? Why can't you stay awake? You could be out for a while, what if someone else comes along and eats the chicken? No, no you can't have that. What if it spoils because it's left out in the elements? You can't have that either.

You need to save this for later, probably.

So... pass... out... tired...

... if you... waste... time... wrapping... the chicken... things... could... get... worse...

... need... sleep...

- [Wrap the chicken with your jacket]
- [Ignore the chicken and pass out]

You blink hard twice. Still clutching the chicken firmly in your hand, you pull off your jacket and wrap it around the leg bone. Mmmm... leftovers...

Mmmm... dizzy...

The world becomes very bright, then darkens.

Darker.

Darker.

The world is black.

- [Continue]

Meep.. hoop... blues... reds... chicken...

... ?

- [Continue]

You wake up. The room is dark. Your head is throbbing. You glance up at the window. A dark sky with starts. That must mean it's night. You must have been out for hours.

Something is... missing.

You prop yourself up with your left hand, and bring your right hand to rub your forehead.

You can't... move something... you can't do it...

You can't feel something... what?

Something's missing.

You rub your head, but notice that there is a jacket on it. Your jacket. It's crudely wrapped around and soaked in blood. In fact, everything is soaked in blood.

So... dizzy...

Chicken? Something about a chicken. Food? No, you're not hungry. You feel sick. You feel like vomiting. You have a horrible taste in your mouth. It tastes like...

There seems to be something missing. You don't feel as if you can move... something. You turn your head around and see nothing out of the ordinary. Well, at least not in a room that recently witnessed a decapitation.

Right, Xavier. You killed him. Cut off his head slowly while he suffered and died.

You glance back at the jacket wrapped around your right hand.

- [Unwrap the jacket]
- [Lay back down and try to regain your strength]
- [Survey the room some more]

You calmly glide your left hand across the open air. It clenches the jacket when it hits. You slowly unwrap.

Slowly.

Slowly.

The jacket is more drenched as you progress. The smell worsens.

You unweave the last bit of the jacket and, involuntarily, draw in a deep breath.

- [Continue]

You see a splintered bone and torn up flesh where your hand once was.

- [Continue]

You stop breathing. You stop blinking. You glance down towards the floor. There are little bitty finger bones scattered around. Broken. Flesh and muscle lay everywhere.

The taste in your mouth turns to the taste of death and decay.

You look back up at your eaten hand.

You try to move your fingers but cannot, because there are none. Your other hand is paralyzed.

... probably in fear.

HA HA HA!

- [Continue]

In an instant, the cool, dark room turns into the surface of the sun. Every molecule in your body wriggles in pain. A thousand needles descend upon every orifice. Claws tear at your back. You lift your head up to the ceiling and scream.

You're not screaming.

You're not breathing.

Your tongue has fallen down the back of your throat. You're choking.

- [Scream]
- [Cough]
- [Reach in your mouth and pull your tongue out]
- [Put your head down and try to breathe]

How do you like those apples?

Carrie Underwood said:
Fight fire with fire? I fight fire with the sun.
You are a badass, Chefe.

How do you like those apples?
I liked it, it did serve the purpose you gave out, although maybe a little bluntly. I also knew that something was amiss but what it ended up being was not my expectation. Though I don't know if
the character has to (probably) die over it. Although it does seem somewhat likely now that I think of it, from the shock you would feel.

sportforredneck said:
I liked it, it did serve the purpose you gave out, although maybe a little bluntly. I also knew that something was amiss but what it ended up being was not my expectation. Though I don't know if
the character has to (probably) die over it. Although it does seem somewhat likely now that I think of it, from the shock you would feel.

Not according to expectation is good. That's the only way the crazy path can work.

Well, in going with my purpose, but also with respect to how I want death to be handled in the game, you do not have to die from it, but it is very likely. I ended the excerpt with those four choices to try and point out that you do continue on from there.

None of the choices will kill you right away, but some lead to your death by choking, some lead to you further mutilating yourself (but giving how what happens there would be so spoilerific it would destroy the psychological aspect of the game, where you actually have to think and piece together the story for yourself to get the most out of it, along with playing multiple paths, but remember since this is "crazy" territory it will not be straightforward, and you might not know what you're actually doing - like in the excerpt with the chicken leg) to a point where it is impossible to continue on, some lead to death by blood loss, some to death by shock, and one, tiny little paths leads you to escaping... albeit with only one hand and a mental status of 'Stark Raving Mad'.

Alternatively, in choosing what path to post I was toying with the idea of the character eating Xavier, then mistaking the knife in his hand for a chicken leg, instead of the hand itself. Needless to say, you'd end up slicing your lower jaw clean off, and further progression in the game would be impossible. But I thought that having the character accidentally eat his own hand was more gut wrenching and dramatic. It's all about the drama.

Carrie Underwood said:
But I thought that having the character accidentally eat his own hand was more gut wrenching and dramatic. It's all about the drama.
You are right on that front. Him eating Xavier was what I was expecting, but then you turned it back on me with him actually eating his own hand. It's good to continue the idea of "not actually knowing what you're doing" if you do survive. It's an interesting dynamic, and can lead to an ending probably more satisfying than "you died" because instead you would see yourself going to the point of insanity to where you can't continue the game you're so caught up in your own head. Good work, I must say.

Murk

Arcane
dude i want what you smoke

you alternate in some weird bi-polarity of creativity. you're either coming up with brilliant shit or spamming some of the dumbest crap

but all in all i love you, and i want you to have my abortions

---------

death being a part of the game you play is quite molyneux, i mean, innovative. That is, instead of just watching an hp meter go down, or a timer (like fallout), actually watching your character die by losing function and ability and going through major scenes in game like that would be... well, neat.

Yea, like I've said, I want people to be able to choose the path they want with consequences that lead to unique situations, not game over screens and locked quests.

I wonder what cardtrick is up to these days.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
People it's a-
It's just a-

Ah fuck. Have fun, Chefe.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom