Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

AMD Graphic lighting problem

Orobis

Arcane
Sychophantic Noob
Vault Dweller.

So, i asked you on steam if you fixed the lighting issue with AMD cards and your response was: "The lighting issue has been fixed with the help of AMD months ago - you need 16.9.1 driver (Crimson edition)."

Bullshit. I'm using an HD6790 which is more than capable of handling this game. 16.9.1 crimson drivers are not supported with 6000 series cards but i'm aware that there is a beta for it and i've tried it, but realised after a while that the beta crimson drivers are just not meant for the 6000 series, you can't overclock with the beta crimson drivers and saw no noticeable increase in performance so i went back to catalyst.

You're telling me that i have to upgrade to a more modern (HD7700+) card just so i can play on a 12 year old graphics engine? This makes no sense to me. In the 5 years that i've had this card this is the first game where i've ran into a serious graphic issue.

If your only solution to this problem is download the beta crimson drivers for the no longer supported older radeon cards, it's not going to happen because of what i said above. I'm not planning on buying a new PC for at least another year or 2.

btw, On the steam system requirements the recommended is HD4870 or better, you might want to let people know that you need 16.9.1 crimson drivers and minimum HD7700 card otherwise they have to play on the lowest lighting setting (which looks like complete dogshit) or the game will not run.

Even on the lowest lighting setting i'm getting massive random FPS drops which is extremely fucking annoying and i don't have the patience to play through the game like this. With the exception of ram (i have 4gigs), My comp exceeds the recommended requirements so this is quite baffling to me.

Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.9.1 is compatible with the following AMD Radeon products:
vUStopN.png

Of course i could be wrong about everything and it's just a problem on my end.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Orobis
If you have such an old card you can use amd-catalyst-omega-14.12 driver. That's the last one I could use without problems, later ones were bugged with Torque. So either go with 14.12 or lower or with 16.9.1 or higher.

Orobis

Arcane
Sychophantic Noob
Orobis
If you have such an old card you can use amd-catalyst-omega-14.12 driver. That's the last one I could use without problems, later ones were bugged with Torque. So either go with 14.12 or lower or with 16.9.1 or higher.
The card maybe old, but there shouldn't be any problems running this game on max settings with zero problems. As i said, 16.9.1 crimson drivers do not work with pre-HD7700 cards.

idk what torque is, and installing older drivers just so i can run this one game is out of the fucking question, not rolling back drivers every time i want to play AoD, like i said, i never had a graphic problem like this before, this is the first time in the 5 years since i've had this card.

I'm using the lastest drivers 15.7.1.

That's AMD driver quality for you.
Never had problems with AMD cpu's and graphic cards.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
idk what torque is, and installing older drivers just so i can run this one game is out of the fucking question, not rolling back drivers every time i want to play AoD, like i said, i never had a graphic problem like this before, this is the first time in the 5 years since i've had this card.
Why not? All other games work with 14.12 anyway so what's the problem with rolling back? Either that or change your card or set lighting to low or uninstall and remain butthurt. It's not IT's fault that AMD released such drivers.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Vault Dweller.

So, i asked you on steam if you fixed the lighting issue with AMD cards and your response was: "The lighting issue has been fixed with the help of AMD months ago - you need 16.9.1 driver (Crimson edition)."

Bullshit. I'm using an HD6790 which is more than capable of handling this game. ... You're telling me that i have to upgrade to a more modern (HD7700+) card just so i can play on a 12 year old graphics engine? This makes no sense to me. In the 5 years that i've had this card this is the first game where i've ran into a serious graphic issue.
The problem appeared after we upgraded the engine back in May (the game worked fine with all AMD cards for years before that), which suddenly caused problems for all AMD users (i.e. it's not that the engine is 12 year old, it's the recent lighting related change that affected the AMD cards out of the blue). We reached out to AMD, they played the game, isolated the problem, and fixed it in the crimson edition. We didn't have any complaints ever since and yours is the first complaint we had in months. Right now I can't say whether it's just your particular configuration or all older AMD cards but we'll certainly look into it. It goes without saying that we're terribly sorry for the inconvenience.

Orobis

Arcane
Sychophantic Noob
Why not? All other games work with 14.12 anyway so what's the problem with rolling back? Either that or change your card or set lighting to low or uninstall and remain butthurt. It's not IT's fault that AMD released such drivers.
I'm 'butthurt' because on the steam page the recommended requirements are HD4870, an even older card than the one i'm using, and no mention of having to install crimson drivers made for modern cards in order for the higher lighting settings to work. There should be no problems with a game this old when i play games that require higher settings i.e. Metro redux at max settings /w decent fps.

Even on the lowest lighting setting there are random fps drops.

Last edited:

Orobis

Arcane
Sychophantic Noob
Vault Dweller.

Bullshit. I'm using an HD6790 which is more than capable of handling this game. ... You're telling me that i have to upgrade to a more modern (HD7700+) card just so i can play on a 12 year old graphics engine? This makes no sense to me. In the 5 years that i've had this card this is the first game where i've ran into a serious graphic issue.
The problem appeared after we upgraded the engine back in May (the game worked fine with all AMD cards for years before that), which suddenly caused problems for all AMD users (i.e. it's not that the engine is 12 year old, it's the recent lighting related change that affected the AMD cards out of the blue). We reached out to AMD, they played the game, isolated the problem, and fixed it in the crimson edition. We didn't have any complaints ever since and yours is the first complaint we had in months. Right now I can't say whether it's just your particular configuration or all older AMD cards but we'll certainly look into it. It goes without saying that we're terribly sorry for the inconvenience.
Thanks for the response. Yea i really don't know wtf is wrong, my settings is everything maxed except lighting which is at lowest. Look,i really don't give 2 shits about graphics, if i did i would've upgraded my comp years ago but i have no interest in 'triple A' garbage anymore but anyways, the problem is the random FPS drops. Loading times are fine, didn't notice any bugs, everything is fine it's just the fps drops. I'm patient and can wait for a fix, even if it takes months, it just pisses me off when i've never had any issues like this with any other games over the past 5 years and i know it's not really your guys fault.

Kind of weird though that a game engine this old requires such modern drivers to work properly.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I'm 'butthurt' because on the steam page the recommended requirements are HD4870, an even older card than the one i'm using, and no mention of having to install crimson drivers made for modern cards in order for the higher lighting settings to work. There should be no problems with a game this old when i play games that require higher settings i.e. Metro redux at max settings /w decent fps.

Even on the lowest lighting setting there are random fps drops.
I understand your frustration. The requirements were fine since 2009 when we released the first demo until the engine was updated. Like I said, we'll look into it and if the game no longer runs on older AMD cards, we'll update the requirements.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom