Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ambermoon - Amiga HD install ready!

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
:salute:

This is what I use:
http://classicwb.abime.net/index.htm

has a variety of workbench installs from classic barebones to beefed up for highend Amigas/WinUAE.
It's perfectly legal to use if you own all the shit anyway (like I do). :)

I've used that also, but I like installing everything from scratch so I get things exactly how I like them. And it's a learning process. But those installs are great for noobs. You still need the Kickstart and actual original Workbench ADFs, though, as the WB install calls for them. (I'm sure you know that, I say that just to let the noobs know.)

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
not that anyone would kick your door down for emulating old Amiga games illegally...

Well, they're not really gonna know if some individual has "pirated" the Kickstart/Workbench roms/disks, but if your site was to host the roms and ADFs, these assholes would very quickly contact their lawyers, who would contact you. The pettiness and STINGE of the blood-suckers flogging the dead horse that is the Amiga knows no bounds, and isn't just confined to Cloanto, unfortunately. :(

Anyway, back to Ambermoon. Meynaf has done excellent work here. :obviously:

Last edited:

neilsouth

Augur
Just don't mix up Kickstart and Kickstarter, it usually sends the Amiga community into a rage :D

Gord

Arcane
Uhm, so say I fooled around with Amiga emulation like 8 years ago but put it away again for time reasons shortly thereafter, so I'm not very experienced with it - how do I use this release of Ambermoon with UAE?
It seems that *.lzx is a compression format, but how do I decompress it then? Although allegedly unrar (I'm on linux right now) can uncompress it, it refuses to do so so far.

made

Arcane
Uhm, so say I fooled around with Amiga emulation like 8 years ago but put it away again for time reasons shortly thereafter, so I'm not very experienced with it - how do I use this release of Ambermoon with UAE?
It seems that *.lzx is a compression format, but how do I decompress it then? Although allegedly unrar (I'm on linux right now) can uncompress it, it refuses to do so so far.
Winrar opens only .lha afaik; dunno why people use .lzx it's a pointless format in this day and age.

Anyway, I zipped the folder, hope this helps:
http://filebin.ca/1YbB51csqZjs/Ambermade.zip

Unzip in Windows/Linux, copy to your Amiga HD (which is hopefully a folder mounted as a HD in UAE), run UAE, run the install

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
For those of you who don't wanna download from the above link, and who use Windows XP->8.1, this is how to manually extract AmbermoonHD.lzx and play the game in several agonizing steps, assuming you already have an emulated Workbench install lol!

1) Download the archive
http://www.indieretronews.com/2014/08/ambermoon-incredible-classic-rpg-hd.html
2) Download unzlx2.lha
http://aminet.net/package.php?package=util/arc/UnLZX2.lha
3) Use 7z to extract the lha (if you're lost here, don't continue)
http://www.7-zip.org/
4) copy the extracted unzlx dir and your AmbermoonHD.lzx to your c drive
5) Now click Start -> Run -> and type cmd
6) Use your mad DOS skillz to navigate to the unzlx dir (cd.., cd <dir> etc)
7) Run unzlx!
8) Type -x c:\AmbermoonHD.lzx -o c:\
9) Watch all the shit scroll up your screen really fast!
10) Now goto c drive (back in Windows Explorer now) and copy the extracted Ambermoon dir and Ambermoon.info files to your WinUAE hard disk, double click the beautiful big icon that only Amigas have, light up a cig, and play!

madrigal

Augur
Winrar opens only .lha afaik; dunno why people use .lzx it's a pointless format in this day and age.

Anyway, I zipped the folder, hope this helps:
http://filebin.ca/1YbB51csqZjs/Ambermade.zip

Unzip in Windows/Linux, copy to your Amiga HD (which is hopefully a folder mounted as a HD in UAE), run UAE, run the install

LZX is the compression format used to compress amiga files on an amiga, calling amiga software pointless and outdated seems a bit strange on a thread about running amiga software.

If you are playing amiga games it makes sense to have the file in a format you can download and install from your emulated environment.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
LHA it seems is standard on Amiga and easier to work with for Windows users (extracts with 7z/WinRAR), but LZX is also quite common on Amiga.

madrigal

Augur
I imagine people were saying similar things when rar compression was released about using zip files. It is evolution, blame Aminet for preferring an updated format.

But we are talking about running software that requires an amiga setup, so why does it matter what is easier for windows just use your amiga.

made

Arcane
It is evolution, blame Aminet for preferring an updated format.
Last I checked, everything on Aminet was still in LHA. If you're releasing Amiga software in 2014 it makes sense to do so in a convenient cross-platform format because a large part of your audience will run it on emulators.

madrigal

Augur
I am not sure I understand your point, lzx extracts fine on an emulated amiga. Are you saying not to release software that needs to be installed on an amiga, but it is ok to release software that needs to be played on an amiga.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I am not sure I understand your point, lzx extracts fine on an emulated amiga. Are you saying not to release software that needs to be installed on an amiga, but it is ok to release software that needs to be played on an amiga.

Maybe most people prefer using Windows to Workbench, but only use Amiga emulators to either play games with superior audiovisuals, or play games that were Amiga exclusives?

Last edited:

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
For those of you who don't wanna download from the above link, and who use Windows XP->8.1, this is how to manually extract AmbermoonHD.lzx and play the game in several agonizing steps, assuming you already have an emulated Workbench install lol!

1) Download the archive
http://www.indieretronews.com/2014/08/ambermoon-incredible-classic-rpg-hd.html
2) Download unzlx2.lha
http://aminet.net/package.php?package=util/arc/UnLZX2.lha
3) Use 7z to extract the lha (if you're lost here, don't continue)
http://www.7-zip.org/
4) copy the extracted unzlx dir and your AmbermoonHD.lzx to your c drive
5) Now click Start -> Run -> and type cmd
6) Use your mad DOS skillz to navigate to the unzlx dir (cd.., cd <dir> etc)
7) Run unzlx!
8) Type -x c:\AmbermoonHD.lzx -o c:\
9) Watch all the shit scroll up your screen really fast!
10) Now goto c drive (back in Windows Explorer now) and copy the extracted Ambermoon dir and Ambermoon.info files to your WinUAE hard disk, double click the beautiful big icon that only Amigas have, light up a cig, and play!

I did this, but when I play the game (runs fine), I can't save. It gives an error and the game closes. Am I doing something wrong? Is it something in the Workbench WinUAE settings?

edit: somehow the game can't create new folders. When I copied the contents of save00 and duplicated it as save01, I can suddenly save in the first slot. Weird.

Last edited:

madrigal

Augur
If the people already know what to do it is irrelevant as it is easy to do on either system, if they are following a set of instructions it makes more sense to do it on the amiga.

madrigal

Augur
I did this, but when I play the game (runs fine), I can't save. It gives an error and the game closes. Am I doing something wrong? Is it something in the Workbench WinUAE settings?

Is the hdd set as read only?

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
It's set to read and write, in the WinUAE settings. See my above edit how I (hopefully) worked around it.

madrigal

Augur
This can happen when windows is used to extract the files as amiga file attributes are not fully compatible with the windows file system.

madrigal

Augur
edit: somehow the game can't create new folders. When I copied the contents of save00 and duplicated it as save01, I can suddenly save in the first slot. Weird.

It does appear to have a problem when folder does not exist, the easiest thing is probably to create save folders Save.01 to Save.10 inside the amberfiles directory this can be easily done in either your amiga or on windows and works fine both ways.

If people are using the classic workbench as mentioned above then it comes with support to extract lzx files so it is probably easier to just use the amiga gui to extract.

Last edited:

Gord

Arcane
Ok, I'm being a total noob here, but my experiences with Amigas are pretty limited (I did own only a C64 back in the days and played Amiga games with some friends that owned one...)

Anyway - I have managed to set up a ClassicWB for an emulated A1200 (the nice colorful version, even).
I've mounted one folder as a HD through FS-UAE (linux port of UAE, somewhat simplified compared to WinUAE).
I have both the zip file provided by made, as well as the original HD release from the link in the OP. I can now also extract the latter just fine from the WB.
However, once I've done that, what should I do? There's nothing showing up looking like a starter/icon.
Made's zip includes an installer, but that demands the floppies - which I can download from the homepage in the OP, but I understand that you can start the game directly from HD?.

Edit: Ok, think it was a problem with permissions. Something went wrong during extracting. Still cant use made's zip, but the original archive now works.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom