Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ambermoon - Amiga HD install ready!

neilsouth

Augur
Clipboard01.jpg

For those like myself that don't understand German, in 1998 the last beta of the English version by a1exh was released through the Thalion Webshrine, yet it still took some doing to copy over the files, unpack the DM, copy over the patches, install and so on. The good news today is, Barry has uploaded to the Zone Ambermoon 1.07 + Meynafs Patch applied that's both HD Installed that can just be unpacked and played!

With a brilliant mix of 2D and 3D graphics, Ambermoon is an incredible classic that can finally be enjoyed by everyone. If you haven't played this, you are seriously missing out

http://www.indieretronews.com/2014/08/ambermoon-incredible-classic-rpg-hd.html

neilsouth

Augur
Just gonna load it up on my WinUAE :D, the Amiga installed version is at home

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I remember trying to play this on the Amiga emulator about thee years ago, and found the movement keys unacceptably clunky. As I recall, it seemed like an excellent game and this was the only thing I really disliked about it, but decided that if I was going to be playing an intricate, 50+ hour cRPG it better be smooth getting around. It wasn't.

neilsouth

Augur
Must admit it loads and plays so much better on the WinUAE based system than the real Amiga, even with an accelerator. Probably the extra boost settings I have!

Still though, looks a fantastic game even by todays standards

made

Arcane
I remember trying to play this on the Amiga emulator about thee years ago, and found the movement keys unacceptably clunky. As I recall, it seemed like an excellent game and this was the only thing I really disliked about it, but decided that if I was going to be playing an intricate, 50+ hour cRPG it better be smooth getting around. It wasn't.
But it is. Use the mouse to move around.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane

I think that was the problem for me - I hate using the mouse to move in these old grid-based games (though i seem to recall Ambermoon had smooth movement like in the Ulitima Underground games, but at least in those games you could use your keyboard's cursor keys). Always needed the keys for an enjoyable experience. If I recall correctly, that was the problem I had with Ambermoon - I couldn't map movement keys and was forced into using the mouse. Yes, I know I'm probably being a bit aspie about this, but it's a requisite to enjoying the game for me.

made

Arcane

I think that was the problem for me - I hate using the mouse to move in these old grid-based games (though i seem to recall Ambermoon had smooth movement like in the Ulitima Underground games, but at least in those games you could use your keyboard's cursor keys). Always needed the keys for an enjoyable experience. If I recall correctly, that was the problem I had with Ambermoon - I couldn't map movement keys and was forced into using the mouse. Yes, I know I'm probably being a bit aspie about this, but it's a requisite to enjoying the game for me.
Shame to miss out on the best RPG the Amiga had to offer for such a, pardon me, contrived reason, because it actually has an excellent UI and very convenient controls even compared to modern games (only thing it's missing is scroll wheel support for the inventory). You can, however, remap key layouts in WinUAE (Ambermoon uses the number pad for movement IIRC), and you can force it into 90° mode either in the options or, I think, right-clicking movement icons but I'd have to fire it up to make sure. Might be worth looking into.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
So how is the combat in the Amber games?
It looked pretty dull in the prequel Dragonflight. CRPG Addict's playthrough has forever taken away any desire I had of playing Dragonflight, but I'm still unsure if I should add the Amber games (which are claimed to be much better) to my play list.

How much of the Amber games' reputation is based on Amiga fanboysism? I know Black Crypt was overhyped by the Amiga fanboys. Only in Amigaworld was BC a better game than Dungeon Master and Chaos Strikes Back.
Oh and for the record, I used to be an Amiga fanboy myself.

made

Arcane
Combat's very basic, simplistic, and easily broken. But that wouldn't have stopped you from playing it to hell and back if you were a true Amiga fanboy, impostor.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane

Shame to miss out on the best RPG the Amiga had to offer for such a, pardon me, contrived reason, because it actually has an excellent UI and very convenient controls even compared to modern games (only thing it's missing is scroll wheel support for the inventory). You can, however, remap key layouts in WinUAE (Ambermoon uses the number pad for movement IIRC), and you can force it into 90° mode either in the options or, I think, right-clicking movement icons but I'd have to fire it up to make sure. Might be worth looking into.

I never knew there were movement keys in Ambermoon. That might be the solution for me then. Thx.

Morkar Left

Combat's very basic, simplistic, and easily broken. But that wouldn't have stopped you from playing it to hell and back if you were a true Amiga fanboy, impostor.

How is it broken? I still haven't played the game enough to answer it myaself but Amberstar seemed well balanced (but basic ofc) for me.

neilsouth

Augur

How is it broken? I still haven't played the game enough to answer it myaself but Amberstar seemed well balanced (but basic ofc) for me.

I believe there's been lots of patches to fix specific issues in the ENG version

Morkar Left

Do you mean specific issues regarding to combat?
I play the German version though that probably wouldn't bother me?

made

Arcane

Has to do with abusing the dumb AI. I see no reason to spoil the combat here for people here who might be unaware and would rather retain some challenge. PM me if you desperately want to break it.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Okay, I loaded this up, found a town which automatically causes it to switch to first person view, and tried the numpad directional keys. They work but... for some reason, compared to mouse click movement, movement is painfully slow. Felt like I was trying to run Doom on a 286- hell no, a 186! Not really workable for me.

made

Arcane
Okay, I loaded this up, found a town which automatically causes it to switch to first person view, and tried the numpad directional keys. They work but... for some reason, compared to mouse click movement, movement is painfully slow. Felt like I was trying to run Doom on a 286- hell no, a 186! Not really workable for me.
Yea I just checked. Controls like ass with just the KB (though arrow keys are faster than the numpad for some reason). Sorry bro, looks like it's mouse or nothing.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I have to be quite honest, I have no idea how this Amiga emulator works.

It isn't all that hard to learn. I have WinUAE running Workbench 3.1 on a hardfile with thousands of WHDLoaded games. Absolutely everything is free, including the Workbench install disks and Kickstarts IF, and only IF, you dump them yourself and image original ADFs. If you don't have the physical hardware and disks to do this, then just use your imagination.

There is a company who through being petty assholes and scammers have the legal rights to the Workbench and Kickstarts, however they oversell the features of their package, which is nothing more than WinUAE with a bloated front-end, a few craphouse games, demos and AVIs on Commodore history (all of which are free through other sources). IMO, its a scam.

The hardwork of Amiga emulation was done by the genius Bernd Schmidt and now WinUAE is maintained by Toni Wilen. Toni is a great guy, and highly intelligent.

If you or anyone else have any questions on how to manually set all this up, PM me.

made

Arcane
I have to be quite honest, I have no idea how this Amiga emulator works.

It isn't all that hard to learn. I have WinUAE running Workbench 3.1 on a hardfile with thousands of WHDLoaded games. Absolutely everything is free, including the Workbench install disks and Kickstarts IF, and only IF, you dump them yourself and image original ADFs. If you don't have the physical hardware and disks to do this, then just use your imagination.

There is a company who through being petty assholes and scammers have the legal rights to the Workbench and Kickstarts, however they oversell the features of their package, which is nothing more than WinUAE with a bloated front-end, a few craphouse games, demos and AVIs on Commodore history (all of which are free through other sources). IMO, its a scam.

The hardwork of Amiga emulation was done by the genius Bernd Schmidt and now WinUAE is maintained by Toni Wilen. Toni is a great guy, and highly intelligent.

If you or anyone else have any questions on how to manually set all this up, PM me.
:salute:

This is what I use:
http://classicwb.abime.net/index.htm

has a variety of workbench installs from classic barebones to beefed up for highend Amigas/WinUAE.
It's perfectly legal to use if you own all the shit anyway (like I do). :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom