Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Alpha Strike: BattleTech Kickstarter is Live

Fairfax

Arcane
We didn't know that was turn-based when we Kickstarted it.

But I'm talking about recent times, not the 2013 Golden Age.
I guess that's true. Battletech does have an incredible average pledge so far ($73), but I really doubt it's going to stay that high.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
It's not like TT wargamers are afraid of spending money.

They probably should have had more spots for the top tier pledges.

himmy

Arcane
Well, shit! $661,693 in 8 hours is more than I expected. I do have a limited familiarity with the setting, so I might have underestimated the fanbase. It will probably be at around 1.2 - 1.3 mills in the first 24 hours, which means they have very good chances they do reach the 2.5 million point, with enough prodding and pushing during the mid-way valley.

lurker3000

Arcane
It would be nice if the old MechWarrior and Mech Commander games were on gog or steam or somewhere. You can get them from amazon but they are overpriced. And even though I used to own several of them I feel guilty using the demo version.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
Lets hope PGI didnt poison the franchise enough. I really want a good solid Turn Based Battletech game that endures, and is improved during the next years.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
Well, shit! $661,693 in 8 hours is more than I expected. I do have a limited familiarity with the setting, so I might have underestimated the fanbase. It will probably be at around 1.2 - 1.3 mills in the first 24 hours, which means they have very good chances they do reach the 2.5 million point, with enough prodding and pushing during the mid-way valley.

Battletech setting is great and quite intricate, and it has a good solid following. Its a mish mash of Dune feudal houses crazyness and any sci fi popular in the 80s, but with 30 meter tall robots stomping tanks and buildings.
Its not as boring as say generic space opera, buts it does not go overboard like 40k, it seats in the middle, I would not say its a more realistic setting,but its more "believable".

I myself was introduce to it with the Mechwarrior games, 2 to be precise back in the day.

Battletech is a great unvierse for a rpg to be set on.

And considering Dragonfall and Hong Kong were improvements I really hope they pull it off. 40k received way too much love while BT suffered in the shadows.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
I was highly disappointed with HK, I'm not sure I want to fund this. I'll wait for more information and such.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Yeah I'm with Roguey on this one. I do not mind these types of games (and I loved Mech Warrior 3 [multiplayer]) but I don't think this is HBS forte particularly after SR:HK, so I'd rather not fund and then maybe get it if it ends up being good after release.

Good on them for giving it a go, but I'm gonna wait and see on this one.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
Yeah I'm with Roguey on this one. I do not mind these types of games (and I loved Mech Warrior 3 [multiplayer]) but I don't think this is HBS forte particularly after SR:HK, so I'd rather not fund and then maybe get it if it ends up being good after release.

Good on them for giving it a go, but I'm gonna wait and see on this one.

Its not their forte?

They have the creator of the TT game on it, you can tell tehy want to do good on it, if they somehow make megamek with front mission graphics its going to be great.

Notorious

Augur
I'm a cynical bastard, and even more cynical now after the first few kickstarters (Broken Age, WL2, PoE etc).

Never understood the hate for WL2 and PoE on here. They are both perfectly fine games and way better than the mainstream shit that was released in the past few years (Except Witcher 3 of course, with it's repetitive action combat/non character creation and fetch quests :roll:)

They both had better writing that Divinity OS and all 3 got boring in the end (Finished all of them though)

Yes they are not masterpieces but they are alright. 7/10 would play again.

Broken Age is pure shit tough.

keppj0nes

Educated
>>>Will there be a physical retail copy of the game for PC?
No.

Ouch. Thats a short/curt answer. I was really enthusiastic about this kickstarter from watching the Tek interview Jordan on youtube, but this approach to no physical copies of the game seems more like they want to reap as much money from this KS as possible with no physical costs. I could understand digital only releases for some of their smaller games, like their Necropolis game, but maybe Battletech just seems like a bigger deal to me. There is no incentive for people to pledge money to them now. I will just buy a copy of the game digitally, with regret... probably in Winter 2017.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ouch. Thats a short/curt answer. I was really enthusiastic about this kickstarter from watching the Tek interview Jordan on youtube, but this approach to no physical copies of the game seems more like they want to reap as much money from this KS as possible with no physical costs.

Except that the Kickstarter does have physical rewards.

Lord Andre

Arcane
Yet you felt compelled to reply, including some off-topic "I am deeply upset about Pillars of Eternity" stuff. +M

I'm aware of the irony but the b8 was 2 strong. :salute:

I'm surprised at people going "HBS has no experience with this type of game...". Who gives a shit ? No one else was going to make it. No one has for more years then I can remember. Who else should do it ? nuXCOM guys ? who are this mistery company with super experience in TBS tactical games that deserve to do it ?

CRD

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm aware of the irony but the b8 was 2 strong. :salute:

I'm surprised at people going "HBS has no experience with this type of game...". Who gives a shit ? No one else was going to make it. No one has for more years then I can remember. Who else should do it ? nuXCOM guys ? who are this mistery company with super experience in TBS tactical games that deserve to do it ?

It's not about who deserve or should make, it's about giving your hard earned money to a company that have failed to deliver consistently on three games the tactical strategy/combat game that they are promising here. And well, not only the strategy layer but everything including tech, graphics and even music -yes, was not that good- as for the money they were asking for, a lot of other companies have offered much more than a glorified tablet/phone game.

And with only toilet paper promises and a very high starting point price, a lot of people are not going to give them money and they just express their feelings towards them and their new full-of-shit campaign with nothing to show or offer.

Imho asking money with nothing to show and wanting money on goodwill, is a no go and gtfy, if you want that conditions make an equity-crowdfunding, be legally accountable and share your profits.

Last edited:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I really hope they hire some new talent to design and implement the TB system and interesting encounter design, if not for the storyfag bits, most of the encounters in the SR games were banal, with a couple of exceptions, and the combat system was tablet designed simple, good for the story they were trying to tell but not even near the depth needed for a combined arms turn base mech strategy game.

Lord Andre

Arcane
it's about giving your hard earned money to a company that have failed to deliver consistently on three games...

They did the Shadowrun setting justice (enough anyway) to scratch that particular itch. The "tablet game" argument is just baseless rhetoric. Also, I am not giving them my hard earned money, I am giving them some of my disposable income which I would spend on frivolous things anyway. If they do the setting justice, it will be money well spent.

To be more clear: I am not backing the best tactical TBS game ever, I am backing a Battletech game that is not a shitty online FPS.

DeepOcean

Arcane
It's not about who deserve or should make, it's about giving your hard earned money to a company that have failed to deliver consistently on three games the tactical strategy/combat game that they are promising here. And well, not only the strategy layer but everything including tech, graphics and even music -yes, was not that good- as for the money they were asking for, a lot of other companies have offered much more than a glorified tablet/phone game.

And with only toilet paper promises and a very high starting point price, a lot of people are not going to give them money and they just express their feelings towards them and their new full-of-shit campaign with nothing to show or offer.

Imho asking money with nothing to show and wanting money on goodwill, is a no go and gtfy, if you want that conditions make an equity-crowdfunding, be legally accountable and share your profits.
I dunno about the failed to deliver part, the shadowrun games aren't the best RPGs ever to exist on the face of human kind but they aren't bad games, they were fun enough, if you apply some strict judgement on them, the worse I would call them would be mediocre and if you are a shadowrun fanatic, they delivered the first shadowrun computer game that didn't completely suck. I know that it isn't high praise but we are being cuckhold by kickstarter, what you gonna do? Use voodoo to resurrect Sir Tech or SSI? The fact is that the average PC gamer is a moron that don't know how to wipe his own ass correctly and pretty much any alternative to kickhold is non-viable exactly because of that.

Who could do better than HBS on this game? Obsidian? Inxile? Would you trust on Storyfagsthan to make a good combat game? PoE and Wasteland 2 shown that is a pretty bad idea. Besides, HBS was talking of shit like turn ratio vs. stability, it meaning, no, your mech can't just turn around and shoot anyone on his blind spots and if you make a mech that can do it, the first really strong direct hit would mean it would go unstable as fuck and go on the ground and they are talking of heat management meaning they may have learned something aren't going to dumb down to "Ipad" (as resident edgelords insist) faggots as much as shadowrun was. Anyway, if they deliver shit, EA, Ubisoft, 2k, Activision for sure won't pity us.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Ouch. Thats a short/curt answer. I was really enthusiastic about this kickstarter from watching the Tek interview Jordan on youtube, but this approach to no physical copies of the game seems more like they want to reap as much money from this KS as possible with no physical costs.

They did the physical copy thing with Shadowrun Returns and found it such an extraordinarily unpleasant experience that they never want to do it again.

DramaticPopcorn

Sometimes, adblock produces amusing results
QjBnWS8.png

Xzylvador

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Possibly after we finish the DOS fundraiser first. And if we have enough interest in this, I certainly am willing to donate to a codex fund.

Damn, I must've taken a wrong turn somewhere and signed into the TBcodex or something.
Also, I have little to no trust in HBS making a good tactical combat game. A lot can be said about the SR games (and not nearly all of it good), but 'awesome tactical combat' (anything even miles away from, let's say, Jagged Alliance) is certainly not among it.
Just slapping 'turn based' on a game seems to be enough to have (some) people jizz in their pants.

Don't get me wrong, I don't even really mind JA2 or X-Com in the codex's top games list; but that's because there's story and squad/character progression in there. In this game, even minor RPG-elements 'could be part of stage 2 or stage 3 development after you've handed over 2 milions for a game that's likely to disappoint.'. Fuck that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom