Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Alpha Strike: BattleTech Kickstarter is Live

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I hope this reaches $1M, or optimally $1.85M+. Otherwise, I am not really interested.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hello, the campaign has made almost half a million in less than four hours

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Heheh, neat. The mechs in
BATTLETECH-03.jpg

Are the Dougram and Soltic.
jcs2jR1.jpg

bUrCEy6.jpg

JOQskbM.gif

Can't be arsed to find out their western name.

Anywho, will probably back sometime since big robots are cool.

I'm a 3025 geek. If I had to guess, I'd say those were the Battletech Wolverine and Griffin, both of which are in my original 3025 Boxed set.. By the by, the makers of Battletech blatantly stole from Japanese anime, and faced law suits when anime's popularity exploded in the States and it had become obvious what they had done. Just check out some of the early Battletech mechs that can transform into spacecraft like the Phoenix Hawk, and you'll see Macross influences.

Griffin:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/a1/7d/fd/a17dfd2a172a6e381dfe19df83724a97.jpg
a17dfd2a172a6e381dfe19df83724a97.jpg

Wolverine:

tro-wolverine.jpg

Sinatar

Arbiter
I wish they would but I doubt that HBS has that kind of pull, they seem to put a lot of trust into that BattleTech IP.

The battletech fanbase is full of old grognards with lots of disposable income. I mean FFS Mechwarrior Online raised 5 million in it's crowdfunding campaign and that wasn't being run by the original creator of Battletech.

Suicidal

Arcane
Wow they really managed to kill my enthusiasm with this campaign. So "funded" really means nothing in this case and the game needs to get about a million more to potentially be interesting. Somehow I doubt they will get there.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Holy crap people, do you realize that this game is currently blowing D:OS 2's initial funding rate out of the water? HBS are the new kings of turn-based on Kickstarter if this keeps up

Last edited:

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
That last part of your statement doesn't make any sense since Larian were never kings of the Kickstarter to begin with.
I do agree with your predictions tho - it will probably go over 2 million and beat the shit out of D:OS 2 without breaking a sweat.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Sure are a lot of people putting their faith in HBS to deliver a demanding tactical experience when they have no such record of being able to do so. :)

Sinatar

Arbiter
Sure are a lot of people putting their faith in HBS to deliver a demanding tactical experience when they have no such record of being able to do so. :)

Yea I mean it's not like Jordan Weisman invented the tabletop game or anything.

lurker3000

Arcane
That last part of your statement doesn't make any sense since Larian were never kings of the Kickstarter to begin with.
I do agree with your predictions tho - it will probably go over 2 million and beat the shit out of D:OS 2 without breaking a sweat.

Well 1 million gets it to at least an interesting game. 2 million seems like a stretch.

Lord Andre

Arcane

They had no record of delivering a story fag rpg when they wanted to do Shadowrun but they still did it 3 times. Meanwhile a company that had a record a mile long could not manage to deliver a clone spiritual sequel of a game that they already tried to clone before.

In other words, your snide remarks and smug speculations into the outcome of game development have been as accurate so far as a coin flip.

TLDR: Suck it Roguey, nobody cares what you think.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
With the numbers we're seeing now, the only way this Kickstarter doesn't make it to 2 million is if it experiences a Bard's Tale IV-calibre loss of interest and slowdown in the middle of the campaign.

Not saying that could never happen - I'm unsure. But if it does go like most other Kickstarters have, it's going to reach 2 million.

Yet you felt compelled to reply, including some off-topic "I am deeply upset about Pillars of Eternity" stuff. +M

What? You mean he wasn't talking about Broken Age? :o

lurker3000

Arcane
No, it really doesn't. They've got more than 1.2 million for a glorified expansion pack, why the hell wouldn't they get more for a completely new IP revival (and a well chosen one at that)?

Well I guess we will see. Remember that most people think of the MechWarrior series when they think battletech and this type of game may not resonate with all of them.

That being said there has already been 38 pledges of $1000 or more. Also when both your $10k pledges are taken in the first day you may have underestimated the money your backers have.

Gozma

Arcane
I'm a 3025 geek. If I had to guess, I'd say those were the Battletech Wolverine and Griffin, both of which are in my original 3025 Boxed set.. By the by, the makers of Battletech blatantly stole from Japanese anime, and faced law suits when anime's popularity exploded in the States and it had become obvious what they had done. Just check out some of the early Battletech mechs that can transform into spacecraft like the Phoenix Hawk, and you'll see Macross influences.

They actually licensed the designs directly from Japs. It was all supposed to be above-board.

The legal trouble is that a litigious American company was able to argue in court that they had the foreign rights to all the designs and deals with the original Jap creators had no bearing.

Aenra

All i see is yet another IP milking, some dubious self funding, some utter lack of ingame footage and a history of obviously tablet, did i say tablet?, games that strived to pose as PC master race-targetted. And even those had another IP's name to count on. Take either product sans its IP and they'd have got a milkwarm interest at best. This being generous too, as outside the Codex, i can only imagine the type of comments that would have arisen if the word 'Shadowrun' was missing from said titles.

Happy that you are happy, but since i am not a fanboy, of this or any other IP, i personally see nothing (really nothing, ingame) to convince me to pledge. Which unsurprisingly is not the rule, judging by the numbers thus far. Boys and their toys..in all their glory.

Fairfax

Arcane
Holy crap people, do you realize that this game is currently blowing D:OS 2's initial funding rate out of the water? HBS are the new kings of turn-based on Kickstarter if this keeps up
TToN is the king of TB KS, and that one's very hard to beat.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
We didn't know Torment was turn-based when we Kickstarted it. :P

But I'm talking about recent times, not the 2013 Golden Age.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom