Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alpha Protocol

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Is it feasible to kill Darcy without the sniper rifle? I'm stuck at this point and not willing to reload 10+ times like I did the first time I played.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I only played it once, so maybe that section was optional or maybe it was possible to use stealth to trigger a takedown/cutscene.

It was Assault Triad Headquarters and I think it may have been optional, yeah.

Is it feasible to kill Darcy without the sniper rifle? I'm stuck at this point and not willing to reload 10+ times like I did the first time I played.

If you have a pistol or rifle, yes. SMGs and shotguns lack the range.

It pays to carry EMP grenades into the final mission to avoid lockpicking/hacking nonsense.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
At the Deng fight currently without a single point in Gun skills. Killed the soldiers multiple times with shennanigans, the game tells me to defeat Deng - it's possible to pass him without doing so? Nothing I have makes a dent.

The same seemed to be the case with Brayko, though like I said I may be missing stuffies.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
without a single point in Gun skills.

:hero:

I thought I read there was a way to make the Deng fight not happen at all. May have dreamed it.

That can't be true. The fight with Deng is way too central to too many things to not have it happen at all.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
^ why would I spec guns going for non-lethal? It's just 2-3 fights that require them. Seems pretty lazy considering devs showed with Saheeds lieutenant that they are capabale of designing boss battles that allow for non-lethal character builds.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
^ why would I spec guns going for non-lethal? It's just 2-3 fights that require them. Seems pretty lazy considering devs showed with Saheeds lieutenant that they are capabale of designing boss battles that allow for non-lethal character builds.
All bosses require some form of fighting skills, except maybe that one?

Also pistol with tranq rounds is really good for non lethal takedowns :)

AP goes super arkady during the boss battles, doesn't matter what type of bullet or weapon you use.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
At the Deng fight currently without a single point in Gun skills. Killed the soldiers multiple times with shennanigans, the game tells me to defeat Deng - it's possible to pass him without doing so? Nothing I have makes a dent.

The same seemed to be the case with Brayko, though like I said I may be missing stuffies.

Go to another hub and come back to him later. Once your martial arts skill is way up, bosses are pretty easy to handle (iirc, Deng is the easiest, followed by Brayko, followed by Marburg who despite his advanced age has a high level of martial arts and thus more likely to block your attacks). You should also be equipping the gauntlets that increase your strike damage.

I also hope you're playing on normal.

Edit: Ah yes I remembered right http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...otocol-balance-is-a-bitch.45245/#post-1189629 http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...-multi-headed-dick.44481/page-39#post-2471541 http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...bout-alpha-protocol.99091/page-5#post-3920422

The memory of that glitched battle had completely disappeared from my memory but I remember now and it's hilarious.

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Meh, went nearly entire game without a point in guns. Aside from the mandatory sniping it was easy. Also punched Deng out no prob.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
The last time I played, I had an even weirder bug with Deng. I triggered fury, whooped his ass to like 50% hp, and once the slowmo ended, SUDDENLY DENG STARTED MOVING AND ATTACKING WITH ULTRASPEED.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I'm playing on hard, of course. The only "bugs" I have is quite frequently the game fails at interpreting cover input and sometimes movement fucks up completely and I have to reload.

Oh well, saving Deng for later. Won't be doing martial though 'cause I tagged pistols for my last skill. So I guess that's next on the docket. Shame they didn't implement some more clever boss handling for stealthers, player the game as a traditional shooter is the easy way anyway.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'm playing on hard, of course.

You've made a terrible mistake. :M Hard in AP = enemies have more HP, minigames are infuriatingly more difficult

Oh well, saving Deng for later. Won't be doing martial though 'cause I tagged pistols for my last skill. So I guess that's next on the docket. Shame they didn't implement some more clever boss handling for stealthers, player the game as a traditional shooter is the easy way anyway.

That's the way it was designed, stealth was hacked together midway through development at Sega's request (which is why the tutorial area boss allows for it, being one of the last areas implemented).

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Minigames are easy and when they aren't I have EMPs (the latter being useless on normal and easy IIRC).

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
pistols have tranquilizer darts

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
When I first played Alpha Protocol I did not know what to expect, and the first mission (after tutorial) didn't really grab my attention. It felt generic and COD-y. It's really a strange decision by the designers and Chris in particular, he's a decent storyteller, but the first mission doesn't reflect the game at all. AP is much closer to NOLF than COD.

I thoroughly enjoyed AP and it's one of those games that I really enjoy replaying. 10/10 because it's fun.

Modron

Arcane
Some of the preorder exclusive retailer crap should have been added to the pc release, consoles had exclusive weapons most notably a silenced smg which would have added quite a bit of utility to the crappiest weapon category.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
stealth was hacked together midway through development at Sega's request

That explains a lot. Half the levels seem like they were made without stealth in mind. But if Obsidian intended it to just be a shooter, then why didn't they do a better job with the shooting part?

the first mission (after tutorial) didn't really grab my attention. It felt generic and COD-y

Yeah, Saudi Arabia was bad. If I just want to shoot Arabs in the desert, there's other games that do that better. It doesn't show off the strong points of the game, like the dialogue system, and there's no mystery to solve. You already know that the terrorists are the bad guys from the beginning. And then there's supposed to be a shocking plot twist when it turns out that...

...Halliburton/Bechtel were the bad guys all along! Did anybody not expect that? I did as soon as I saw the name "Halbech" during the tutorial. And them just directly giving weapons to al-Qaeda is the kind of retarded shit that I would expect in a story written by a 15-year old who just read his first Noam Chomsky book.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
That's the way it was designed, stealth was hacked together midway through development at Sega's request (which is why the tutorial area boss allows for it, being one of the last areas implemented).
Box cover: "ALPHA PROTOCOL: THE ESPIONAGE RPG" :M

Wait so Obsidian's original plan was to create a spy-themed RPG that plays like a straightforward TPS? I would expect stealth being a main focus even from the start of the development.

I shot Sis.
I didn't;

Thinking about it, that decision was way too obvious. I mean, the game suddenly gives you the choice to spare an unknown enemy, so it hints you that it must be some benefit to that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom