Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Alpha Protocol - News

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Alpha Protocol; Obsidian Entertainment

First we have two previews.
<br>
<br>
<a href="http://www.gamepro.com/article/previews/214666/pax-east-alpha-protocol/">Gamepro:</a>
<br>
<br>
<p style="margin-left:50px;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-top-color:#ffffff;padding:5px;border-right-color:#bbbbbb;border-left-color:#ffffff;border-bottom-color:#bbbbbb;">To show just how remarkable an achievement it really is the team took the stage at a PAX East panel called "But Thou Must: Choice in Games." Besides devolving into a drinking game the panel played with "apple juice," the presentation was largely devoted to helping gamers appreciate the amount of work that goes into a game like AP (and also hinted at a certain need for the team to justify the 4+ years that it took to complete the game). The presentation can be summed up in a single fact: it takes 550 man-hours to complete two minutes of game time when this much choice is involved. It was meant to help us appreciate the work involved in the product, but it just made me question whether or not all of that is worth the effort. Especially given that the majority of gamers never make it through even a single play through of a game. Let alone 2-3 times to appreciate the variety.
<br>
</p>
<br>
<br>
2 min game time = 550 man hours. I hope now you can properly appreciate the effort that is going into this game. Also take into account that you first have to find 550 men willing to work for an hour.
<br>
<br>
<a href="http://thunderboltgames.com/previews/article/pax-east-10-alpha-protocol-preview-for-ps3-xbox-360-pc.html">and Thunderbolt:</a>
<br>
<br>
<p style="margin-left:50px;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-top-color:#ffffff;padding:5px;border-right-color:#bbbbbb;border-left-color:#ffffff;border-bottom-color:#bbbbbb;">Moving away from the choices in dialogue, the demonstration jumped to a different part of the game situated in the Middle East. Immediately we were shown Michael’s inventory and stats screen so we could learn a little more about Alpha Protocol’s skill system. Using AP that is accumulated throughout the game players are able to spend points to create the agent of their own preference. Depending on the path, whether it be Stealth, Pistols, Martial Arts or so on, each path requires its own specific amount of AP to level up; Stealth requires more points than Martial Arts because it’s generally more useful. As the paths are filled in Michael acquires various skills that can be broken down into passive and active skills, the latter of which need to be triggered for use.
<br>
</p>
<br>
<br>
And finally there's this <a href="http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/alphaprotocol/video/6254699">snippet of a Dev diary</a>, where they're talking about dialogue and stuff.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgwatch.com/">RPGWatch</A>

hoochimama

Liturgist
I can see where this is going, if AP doesn't turn enough of a profit they'll blame the C&C for being too costly and unpopular.

denizsi

Arcane
It doesn't matter whose fault it is. If AP bombs, Obsidian quite possibly goes under. Which seems likely to me. PR campaign for this game is pathetic, not to mention how nearly every preview is identical and and almost nothing new has turned up in the last 2 years. Even the latest videos are disappointing. Combat looks like shit. AI seems retarded. Remember the Alien RPG tech demo? One of the latest trailers even had the same shooting animation from there, which was absolute shit.

It will be interesting to interview future-ex-Obsidianites about internal problems at the studio.

hoochimama

Liturgist
I don't see how AP would make obsidian go under when they've also got the fallout and fantasy game under way, the eggs aren't all in the same basket.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
i'm usually the sort of guy to be sucking at MCA's teat, and even i think AP looks embarrassing at best.

denizsi

Arcane
hoochimama said:
I don't see how AP would make obsidian go under when they've also got the fallout and fantasy game under way, the eggs aren't all in the same basket.

I've forgotten about Fallout 3.5 and didn't know about the Dragon Age copycat fantasy game but games can be dropped as easy as they're picked up. See early Dragon Age prototype in sci-fi stealth bomber setting Aliens RPG.

denizsi

Arcane
Hobo Elf said:
denizsi said:
It doesn't matter whose fault it is. If AP bombs, Obsidian quite possibly goes under.

Thankfully, nothing of value would be lost.

Honestly, I'd like to see New Vegas out before they may fold. Keeping MOTB and SOZZY SOZ in mind, they're still probably the most experimental major RPG developer.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"2 min game time = 550 man hours. I hope now you can properly appreciate the effort that is going into this game. Also take into account that you first have to find 550 men willing to work for an hour."

Man. I bet most of those hours i spent wasting away surfing the ent or some other bullshit. FFS

"Honestly, I'd like to see New Vegas out before they may fold. Keeping MOTB and SOZZY SOZ in mind, they're still probably the most experimental major RPG developer."

Fuck, you are dumb. there was nothing 'experiemntal' about SOZ. All it did was rip off 'old skool' games and di it fuckin' poorly. MOTB only had one 'experimental' thing. Big fuckin' deal.

denizsi

Arcane
Volourn said:
"2 min game time = 550 man hours. I hope now you can properly appreciate the effort that is going into this game. Also take into account that you first have to find 550 men willing to work for an hour."

Man. I bet most of those hours i spent wasting away surfing the ent or some other bullshit. FFS

"Honestly, I'd like to see New Vegas out before they may fold. Keeping MOTB and SOZZY SOZ in mind, they're still probably the most experimental major RPG developer."

Fuck, you are dumb. there was nothing 'experiemntal' about SOZ. All it did was rip off 'old skool' games and di it fuckin' poorly. MOTB only had one 'experimental' thing. Big fuckin' deal.

Both are experimental from a commercial point, for deviating from the mainstream norm. Whether they are doing anything originally new isn't as relevant. At the very least, that's my take on their worth in the industry. Sorry that I didn't consider your special condition while writing that post.

omfg how many C&C will i see in 2 minutes??

And lol is it worth it? No please, i wanna play a stealthy shooter where i can only decide whether to shoot or not(thus dying). It's not worth it, they say, because he assumes players don't care, they like blood and covers.

Sierra adventures of the early 90's had tons of C&C, and im sure they costed millions. Yes 3d and choices cost a lot. So screw choices!

Cassidy

Arcane
Gylfi.Fenriz.Conquests said:
omfg how many C&C will i see in 2 minutes??

As already demonstrated in a previous article:

1) EXTREME COLLAR GRABBING

2) Date NPC

3) Neutral

I've seen amateur modders doing better than Obsidian.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Both are experimental from a commercial point, for deviating from the mainstream norm. Whether they are doing anything originally new isn't as relevant. At the very least, that's my take on their worth in the industry. Sorry that I didn't consider your special condition while writing that post."

Idiot.

MetalCraze

Arcane
racofer said:
If it fails, it's all LucasArts fault... I mean Atari. NO! SEGA.

Obsidian just didn't have enough time to develop the game!

I mean wtf they spent 4+ years to develop a crappy GoW-clone with an engine that is all about developing GoW clones?

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Gaiz ure all wrong. If it fails it's BioWare's fault because they are making an ME clone and if it fails it is because ME sucks!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom