Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alpha Protocol Mods?

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Multi-headed Cow said:
Looks like that ini tweak fixed my issue. Although I did notice loading seems slower now.
Not surprising, the stutter was due to the game loading assets mid-level. That ini tweak makes it load EVERYTHING in that level at the very beginning so as to eliminate mid-level loads, so of course it'll make the initial loading longer. But I'd rather that than the game going crazy in the middle of a sneak or, as happened to me, in the middle of the helicopter battle - FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Phage said:
This thread seems to contain (only read the first page of 12) a few tweaks that can improve the experience
Lots of faggottry in that thread, but some useful info too. I'm going to try some of the tweaks and see what they do. Surprised the game supports AF but there's no way to turn it on in-game.

Multi-headed Cow

Be sure to post your findings here. I glanced at the thread and there were a few semi-promising looking things, but there was too much chaff for me to want to bother.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Did 2 things:

UseBackgroundLevelStreaming=false
This eliminated the crazymouse/stutter immediately. However the frame rate in other spots now seems more... uneven? Not really stutter, just a bit more jerky, but then went normal again. Gonna try again with OnlyStreamInTextures=true

Next thing, did some of the graphic whoring stuff suggested early in the thread:

[System Settings]
Trilinear=True(This is originally set to False.)
MaxAnisotropy=16(This is originally set to 4. You can set this to 4, 8, or 16 depending on how powerful your system is.)
EnableHighPolyChars=True(This is originally set to False.)
MinShadowResolution=32(32 is the absolute minimum resolution. You can set this higher, like 512, but this can affect the performance greatly and can also cause shadows to start gltiching.)
MaxShadowResolution=4096(This can be set lower if you system does not have a powerful graphics card. Remember to set it in normal resolution numbers like 1024, 2048, etc. 4096 is the highest this can be set.)
bEnableBranchingPCFShadows=True(This is originally set to False.)
bEnableForegroundShadowsOnWorld=True(This is originally set to False.)

I actually cannot see a difference, may need to compare screenshots. Also I was wrong, AF is on by default, just set to 4x instead of 16x. Really makes no difference.

Oh and game crashed when going back to menu. Not sure if it's related to any of the changes I made, but it is the first crash I've ever had with it.

Edity edit
Jerkiness gone, no crash on going back to main menu. These tweaks have the official SSOA.

Multi-headed Cow

Apparently the ini tweak I tried DIDN'T fix it, it just made it slightly better. Actually tried playing and still had some weirdness.

Also, I was doing the mission you gotta get into the computer in the basement in TERRORIST SANDSTORM FORTRESS, got back outside, had OH NO MIKEY THEY HAVE MISSILES HELP bit. Was going around taking out the guys, saw a regular dude next to a rocket dude, they didn't seem to see me. I'm playing a stealthy guy so I go "What the fuck, I'll stealth kill them". I creep up and get right on top of the non-rocket guy and press E to stealth take him down, only to discover that apparently was not lined up right and Mike viciously slaps him. I continue hammering the E button until that guy is slapped to death, and begin a-slappin' the rocket guy, when all of a sudden he fires his rocket and kills both of us.
I think no big deal, checkpoint was the doorway into this area, lost a couple minutes of progress, no problem. I open the door and discover... No bad guys. Getting killed and loading from checkpoint apparently does not respawn any bad guys, so I can't kill the rocket guys, so I can't finish the mission, so I have to do the entire mission over again.

OBSIDIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Old known bug, it only happens if you load from the pop-up menu. Load the checkpoint save from the menu and you'll be fine.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Multi-headed Cow said:
Apparently the ini tweak I tried DIDN'T fix it, it just made it slightly better. Actually tried playing and still had some weirdness.
Did you do both UseBackgroundLevelStreaming=false and OnlyStreamInTextures=true ? Because first one by itself didn't solve it for me, both did.

Getting killed and loading from checkpoint apparently does not respawn any bad guys
Not always, it sometimes happens. Either just reload again (I've read reports of this working), or do what Roguey suggested and reload from main menu (I'd actually quit the game entirely, just to flush everything out of memory)

Multi-headed Cow

Sceptic said:
Multi-headed Cow said:
Did you do both UseBackgroundLevelStreaming=false and OnlyStreamInTextures=true ? Because first one by itself didn't solve it for me, both did.

Getting killed and loading from checkpoint apparently does not respawn any bad guys
Not always, it sometimes happens. Either just reload again (I've read reports of this working), or do what Roguey suggested and reload from main menu (I'd actually quit the game entirely, just to flush everything out of memory)
Yeah, sure did. And the weird camera flipouts certainly are less, but I did notice it a few times while playing.

And thank god for you bros telling me to reload. Fired the game up and hit resume and it worked peachy. CRISIS AVERTED. :thumbsup:

Multi-headed Cow

Man, I'm having a surprisingly good time replaying this. Actually enjoying it more than my first run though. Some of Skyway's complaints are certainly valid about the game (The cloaking stealth mechanic is kinda silly, maps are still too linear, bad AI, etc etc) but complaining about the C&C thus far I don't agree with.

First time I went through the game I used an assault rifle and killed everyone I could and was a general jackass. That worked, but I (Understandably) missed a lot of intel and detail on some characters since I was too busy being a dick.
Second time I'm playing it as a man-whore stealther, and getting entertainingly different results from the NPCs. There even appear to be differing levels of stealth for a mission. For example the CIA listening post, you can get through that by killing CIA agents which makes the benefit from doing the mission less, you can get through it by knocking out agents which doesn't make them yank the station and is mostly good, or you can completely stealth through it and get a kickass perk (Reduced stealth spells cooldown) for not even knocking anyone out. Plus I just gotta say that it's a more satisfying sneaker game than it is a shooter.

Definitely could have used better design and more work, but I'd have to say I genuinely like Brotocol nowadays. First Obsidian game to make me enjoy it enough I wanted to replay. Here's hoping FNV will tickle my fancy even more, and here's hoping they drop Dungeon Siege 3 and do something worthwhile.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Multi-headed Cow said:
(The cloaking stealth mechanic is kinda silly, maps are still too linear, bad AI, etc etc) but complaining about the C&C thus far I don't agree with.
The invisibility is extremely silly at the highest level, even if it's expensive it's just game-breaking. The lowest ain't so bad, it's so short that you can't really use it for more than just a SHITSHITSHIT in extreme cases. Most maps are linear, but some have multiple ways to go through, one stealthier and one more combat-oriented. I like that.

Second time I'm playing it as a man-whore stealther, and getting entertainingly different results from the NPCs. There even appear to be differing levels of stealth for a mission.
Stealthing, or at least mixing up stealth and brute force, is definitely much, much more fun. As far as I could tell there are 3 different levels: alarms, killing civilians (security guards and CIA operatives count), and being noticed (ie someone knowing that you've been through, whether from seeing you, an alarm going off, or just seeing one of the bodies). Not being seen can be pretty tough in some cases. Also, it seems killing civilians does have a potential effect on what happens in the last mission.

here's hoping they drop Dungeon Siege 3 and do something worthwhile.
Who knows, DS3 may be to DS what NV was to FO3... though yeah I wish they'd drop it entirely. But with AP flopping I doubt we'll see another original IP anytime soon.

Twinkle

Liturgist
but complaining about the C&C thus far I don't agree with.

All these awesum C&C boil down to:

a) Kill Darcy, blow up the heli and whack/subdue a dude with minigun, watch a cutscene.

b) Kill Darcy, blow up the heli and whack/subdue a dude with rocket launcher, watch a cutscene.

Most maps are linear, but some have multiple ways to go through, one stealthier and one more combat-oriented. I like that.

For that purpose you'll be much better with pre-Con5iction Splinter Cell or Hitman.

Multi-headed Cow said:
Man, I'm having a surprisingly good time replaying this. Actually enjoying it more than my first run though. Some of Skyway's complaints are certainly valid about the game (The cloaking stealth mechanic is kinda silly, maps are still too linear, bad AI, etc etc) but complaining about the C&C thus far I don't agree with.
It's a fun game, for sure. I maxed Stealth and Pistols on the first playthrough and had no idea how broken they were until half way through the game. Shadow Operative for grunts and Chained Shot for bosses? Goodnight. To compound that even further, pumping points into Technical Aptitude mostly for the bonuses to armor and weapons only to see how insane Brilliance was. I don't think it's possible to make a bad build in this game, which is one downfall, but I found the NPC interaction very fulfilling.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
The Ninth Circle said:
Multi-headed Cow said:
It's a fun game, for sure. I maxed Stealth and Pistols on the first playthrough and had no idea how broken they were until half way through the game. Shadow Operative for grunts and Chained Shot for bosses? Goodnight. To compound that even further, pumping points into Technical Aptitude mostly for the bonuses to armor and weapons only to see how insane Brilliance was. I don't think it's possible to make a bad build in this game, which is one downfall, but I found the NPC interaction very fulfilling.
Well, I for one hit a wall in my second playthrough when I realized how much character skill mattered for picking locks and hacking. I wasn't even in the fourth op yet and I knew I couldn't handle the stuff ahead. This posed a huge problem to me, since I'm obsessive about picking every lock in a game.

If you ask me, it's by far the best implementation of the "all locks and shit can be opened at first level" approach, as it makes pulling that off extremely hard for player skill.

Vaarna_Aarne said:
The Ninth Circle said:
Multi-headed Cow said:
Well, I for one hit a wall in my second playthrough when I realized how much character skill mattered for picking locks and hacking. I wasn't even in the fourth op yet and I knew I couldn't handle the stuff ahead. This posed a huge problem to me, since I'm obsessive about picking every lock in a game.

If you ask me, it's by far the best implementation of the "all locks and shit can be opened at first level" approach, as it makes pulling that off extremely hard for player skill.
Yeah, unfortunately I suffer the same affliction. Must. Discover. Everything.

I've always thrown some points into Sabotage for easier lockpicking/hacking. Pretty sure it's the second rank in that skill.

Multi-headed Cow

Bummer. Even ghosting through the whole G22 warehouse in Taipei, never alerting or touching a guard, Albatross still calls you at the end. But by planting all 6 bugs I was able to bluff him into thinking I removed them all so win-win. That level apparently doesn't have a bonus for ghosting though.

Another bummer, jumped over to Russia and doing the gun train mission. Looks like there are multiple spots during this mission where guys spawn and immediately know your location.

Silellak

Cipher
Multi-headed Cow said:
First time I went through the game I used an assault rifle and killed everyone I could and was a general jackass. That worked, but I (Understandably) missed a lot of intel and detail on some characters since I was too busy being a dick.
Second time I'm playing it as a man-whore stealther, and getting entertainingly different results from the NPCs.

That's funny - I played the game both ways, too, and was dissatisfied by how little difference there really was between each experience. NPCs might change their dialog a little, and I might fight Boss A instead of Boss B, but in the end, very little of the story actually changes.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Multi-headed Cow said:
Bummer. Even ghosting through the whole G22 warehouse in Taipei, never alerting or touching a guard, Albatross still calls you at the end. But by planting all 6 bugs I was able to bluff him into thinking I removed them all so win-win. That level apparently doesn't have a bonus for ghosting though.
That level annoyed me because I ghosted through it, then not only did Albatross contact me but I still got the red text at the end about how I was detected, as if I had failed an optional objective. I thought it was a bug, but it seems they just forced it. Do not like.

Silellak

Cipher
Sceptic said:
Multi-headed Cow said:
That level annoyed me because I ghosted through it, then not only did Albatross contact me but I still got the red text at the end about how I was detected, as if I had failed an optional objective. I thought it was a bug, but it seems they just forced it. Do not like.
At least it's better than the Embassy mission, where the flag for stealth/violence is reversed, and factors directly into what ending you receive.

Cadmus

Arcane
:necro: hehe so after Arcanum bored me to death yet again, I'm installing this game. I know nothing about it. Should I get some fixes or patches and shit before playing?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom