Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alpha Protocol Mods?

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Just picked up Alpha Protocol (At $7.50 on Steam, it seemed like a no-brainer). Are there any mods worth grabbing, or should I just play vanilla?

I know the game got mixed reviews, but it was really hard to skip at that price. :)

santino27

Arcane
Patron
I will take your super-helpful reply as an indicator that, if there are any mods, (I've only seen some trainer stuff), they are not worth installing, and I should stick with the vanilla game.

I'll also take as unsaid but no doubt intended that you wish me the best in my play-through.

So... thanks!

Multi-headed Cow

Are there any naked mods? I want titties and dicks.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
santino27 said:
Just picked up Alpha Protocol (At $7.50 on Steam, it seemed like a no-brainer). Are there any mods worth grabbing, or should I just play vanilla?
No mods as far as I know. UE3 seems to be pretty hard to mod whenever it gets licensed to third party - see the conspicuous lack of mods for ME.

Or maybe the fanbase is just dumb.

But anyway Alpha Brotocol is a good game if you manage to get over some glaring flaws (not an RPG though, so don't get your hopes too high).

santino27

Arcane
Patron
Sceptic said:
santino27 said:
No mods as far as I know. UE3 seems to be pretty hard to mod whenever it gets licensed to third party - see the conspicuous lack of mods for ME.

But anyway Alpha Brotocol is a good game if you manage to get over some glaring flaws (not an RPG though, so don't get your hopes too high).

Thanks for the info. Vanilla it is. :) As long as it doesn't crash on me every five minutes, I should be good.

Sceptic said:
see the conspicuous lack of mods for ME.

Perfect games need no mods ;)

negativeman.gif

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
santino27 said:
Thanks for the info. Vanilla it is. :) As long as it doesn't crash on me every five minutes, I should be good.
I had exactly zero crashes, and that was from a copy that was not physically removed from an inventory. There's a patch that was supposed to fix the stuttering... but that made the game stop running entirely for a large number of legit customers. The stuttering is annoying, but I found (after I finished the game of course...) some ini tweaks that are supposed to remove/reduce it. Here it is in case you run into the problem. I didn't personally test it so no guarantees, back up the ini file before modifying, etc etc.

Clockwork Knight said:
Perfect games need no mods ;)
Ass Effect and Alphaturd, forever enshrined in the pantheon of greatness, finally bringing Biowhores and Obsidtards together... :retarded:

Multi-headed Cow

Thanks for that Sceptic. I had stuttering in my not removed from inventory copy, and I was hoping that wasn't around in retail. Since it sounds like it will be I'll probably dick with that myself.

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
santino27 said:
Just picked up Alpha Protocol (At $7.50 on Steam, it seemed like a no-brainer).

There is one born every minute.

Are there any mods worth grabbing, or should I just play vanilla?

There is an uninstall mod, it's worth grabbing.

I know the game got mixed reviews, but it was really hard to skip at that price. :)

You should have donated the money instead.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Multi-headed Cow said:
Thanks for that Sceptic. I had stuttering in my not removed from inventory copy, and I was hoping that wasn't around in retail.
I can't confirm, as I haven't got my physical copy yet, but far too many of the complaints looked legit, and for there to be a solution posted on the Obsidian forums I'd wager it's not a crack issue.

grotsnik

Arcane
My physical copy stuttered quite a bit (which made the whole 'sneaking up on guards before they turn around and notice you' thing...irrelevant), and the game had a nasty tendency to crash to desktop every time I got an email or a PC message, but otherwise no issues.

For both Mass Effect 2 and especially AP, I don't know how you could have many real mods. Even the simplest interfaces and all of the locations/missions are so regimented; & the whole thing is so dependent on pre-set cutscenes...

Plus AP wasn't exactly a hit. Why spend months modding a game for the benefit of four people on the Obsidian forums?

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
grotsnik said:
My physical copy stuttered quite a bit (which made the whole 'sneaking up on guards before they turn around and notice you' thing...irrelevant)
Was it that bad? In my case the stuttering was very localized. It happened at particular spots, which is why I thought eliminating in-level loading would help. But in-between the "hot spots" it was silky smooth.

the game had a nasty tendency to crash to desktop every time I got an email or a PC message
That I never saw. Did it happen while reading an email, or when you got the email notification?

OTOH, the game does have nasty issues with alt-tab. It just didn't want to come back from that. Had to kill the process and restart the game (thankfully that was right after a save).

grotsnik

Arcane
Sceptic said:
Was it that bad? In my case the stuttering was very localized. It happened at particular spots, which is why I thought eliminating in-level loading would help. But in-between the "hot spots" it was silky smooth.

Maybe stuttering's the wrong word for what I had, which was closer to full-fledged spazzing out. Thorton'd be creeping up behind some goon and suddenly the camera would goof out and he'd turn round 180 degrees and start running in the other direction.

Sceptic said:
That I never saw. Did it happen while reading an email, or when you got the email notification?

Notification. As in, I'd be in-game and, say, McAfee would decide to tell me about this great new anti-virus update, or my computer discovers a new wireless location. Alpha Protocol minimises and then refuses to open back up.

Didn't bother me too much, since the missions were so short that you could catch up back to where you were in a minute or two. But the bugs and issues are definitely out there.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
grotsnik said:
Notification. As in, I'd be in-game and, say, McAfee would decide to tell me about this great new anti-virus update
I thought you meant in-game notifications :lol: Yeah what you're seeing is the same I described - AP cannot be alt-tabbed out of. The notifications basically force this, and as with a regular alt-tab, there's no way back in the game.

But the bugs and issues are definitely out there.
TBH the alt-tab and stuttering are the only things I'd really call bugs. The alt-tab, while completely not a problem for me (I turned off those auto-notifications a long time ago - even if it doesn't crash other games I don't want to be forced out of them just so Windows can tell me there's a new compatibility update for IE8), is still inexcusable in this day and age. The stuttering is pretty shitty too, but hopefully those ini tweaks fix it. Anything else is minor glitching really. I had 4 goons not reappear on a reload once, but that felt like a boon - dealt with them once, don't have to do so again. The more serious complaints are more design decisions than bugs, such as not being able to reload or quit while in the middle of a conversation - unforgivable, since the only way to quit in this case is ctrl-alt-del and shut down process.

grotsnik said:
Notification. As in, I'd be in-game and, say, McAfee would decide to tell me about this great new anti-virus update, or my computer discovers a new wireless location. Alpha Protocol minimises and then refuses to open back up.

This is not a bug, it's a feature. A feature that saves the remnants of player's sanity, if any remains after playing that piece of shit.

Multi-headed Cow

grotsnik said:
Maybe stuttering's the wrong word for what I had, which was closer to full-fledged spazzing out. Thorton'd be creeping up behind some goon and suddenly the camera would goof out and he'd turn round 180 degrees and start running in the other direction.
Yeah, that's what I had. And super duper twitchy mouse during the code hacky minigame. I could always use the keyboard reasonably well, but mouse was a big pain in the ass since in the time it takes me to click it might suddenly flip away one square and fuck up.

Multi-headed Cow

Looks like that ini tweak fixed my issue. Although I did notice loading seems slower now.
Also had Thorton get stuck with his mouth hanging open so he's running around killing guys like a mouthbreather. And he had a magazine get stuck to his hand so no matter what he does he has this gigantic clip waving around. OBSIDIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom