Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Aliens RPG now "officially canceled."

MetalCraze

Arcane
You don't really need modchips anymore. There is already a simple software available that hacks console - it isn't ideal yet and doesn't always work but it will soon.
Also console games are being pirated like a month before the game's release - see Failout3 and Far Cry 2.
Where are the complaints about piracy killing games? Even though FC2 failed a bit due to being unredeemable shit.

Again we do get PC exclusives.
ArmA2, Diablo 3, Star Craft 2, even Crysis.
We have a turn-based KB remake and an addon. We have SoaSE which sold more than 1 million copies now, while having a very small budget. It didn't even have DRM. We still have all kinds of stuff PC-exclusive. We have SotS. We have high-budget Total Wars.
The only reason why no PC exclusives are being made at a high rate now - is because you will get only 1x sales at PC, while you can get 3x sales on PC, X360 and PS3. Simple mathematics.

Morgoth should really understand wtf he is talking about first.

Morgoth said:
With AP, we get a new IP in a not fantasy/PA/SciFi world, I think they do deserve some praise for taking such risk.
What risk? They are not making some new setting, it's like saying that CoD4 was a great risk. Considering that AP is a direct rip-off of Mass Effect basically meaning that it is a yet another Bioware-inspired game from them.

circ

Arcane
Morgoth said:
I have no problem when people criticize, but you knwo, the Codex just lost the fine art of properly criticizing. Now, it's only "Hope Obsidian goes down the toilet", "it's gonna be shit, I'll pirate it", "don't make any excuses you lazy bastards". I mean seriously, they don't deserve that.
With AP, we get a new IP in a not fantasy/PA/SciFi world, I think they do deserve some praise for taking such risk.
If they constantly keep releasing hyped garbage then I don't care one way or another if they fail or not. They don't deserve that? Let's use Rosh's analogy. Obsidian sells you a car with missing seats. You go back and ask where the fuck your seat is. Obsidian apologizes and sells you another car, but this time, the wheel is missing too (NWN 2). You're furious and return. They apologize again and give you a car with no wheels. See where that's going?

What risks? It's by all indicators a ME clone set in the world of espionage.

Rosh

Erudite
circ said:

With "pulse-racing dialog" of timed speech options!

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Rosh said:
Morgoth said:
Most console owners aren't that tech-savy to know how to mod a console, nor do they know where they can get their console modded. Ultra fail, Rosh. The majority is not modded.

The same kids who are providing the burned copies know how and offer to mod other people's systems. It is how they make their business, often for the price of a full game, which is then how they can afford to get another game and rip it for another set of sales. Why pay $50 a game when you can pay $50 to have all games cost $5 a pop?

You stupid, technologically ignorant little monkey.
So you still would pirate a game for $5, even though the legal version would only cost, say $10? I mean you save 5 bucks!

No matter how much the prices fall, pirates will always remain filthy pirates.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
circ said:
Morgoth said:
I have no problem when people criticize, but you knwo, the Codex just lost the fine art of properly criticizing. Now, it's only "Hope Obsidian goes down the toilet", "it's gonna be shit, I'll pirate it", "don't make any excuses you lazy bastards". I mean seriously, they don't deserve that.
If they constantly keep releasing hyped garbage then I don't care one way or another if they fail or not. They don't deserve that? Let's use Rosh's analogy. Obsidian sells you a car with missing seats. You go back and ask where the fuck your seat is. Obsidian apologizes and sells you another car, but this time, the wheel is missing too (NWN 2). You're furious and return. They apologize again and give you a car with no wheels. See where that's going?

Except, NWN2 was fully working at release. A bit glitchy, but fully working. Can't say the same about Troika games though...

Rosh

Erudite
You're making this far too easy.

Morgoth said:
So you still would pirate a game for $5, even though the legal version would only cost, say $10? I mean you save 5 bucks!

Straw man argument, as new releases are NOWHERE near $10.

It's good to see that your argumentative ignorance is still going. Consistency is a good thing, which makes you a good Obsidian sheep. Now run along back to the safety of the flock before you get hurt.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Rosh said:
Morgoth said:

Straw man argument, as new releases are NOWHERE near $10.

It's good to see that your argumentative ignorance is still going. Consistency is a good thing, which makes you a good Obsidian sheep. Now run along back to the safety of the flock before you get hurt.
10 bucks? 50 bucks? Pfft. If I want a game, I gladly pay full price for it. Not that there are many, but I do pay.
Can't be said about the pirating Codex folks, who will pirate because they think it is "justified"

Dele

Liturgist
Nwn 2 was buggy as fuck, atleast for me it barely ran at all, but really the game was pretty much shit in every aspect so it wasn't much of a loss not to play through it until after the nth patch.

Motb is a different story, by then the game was patched to working state already and the game itself was quite good.

And why buy pirated games for 5$ when dvd's cost much less, here in finland they can legally sell modded consoles everywhere

Rosh

Erudite
Morgoth said:
10 bucks? 50 bucks? Pfft. If I want a game, I gladly pay full price for it. Not that there are many, but I do pay.
Can't be said about the pirating Codex folks, who will pirate because they think it is "justified"

That is still ignoring all of your other feeble "points" you've pulled out of your ass in this thread, and irrelevant to your original fecal facts thrown into this thread like an angry chimp.

I forgot. You can't really hurt anything that technically doesn't possess a nervous cluster...

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Rosh said:
Morgoth said:

That is still ignoring all of your other feeble "points" you've pulled out of your ass in this thread, and irrelevant to your original fecal facts thrown into this thread like an angry chimp.

I forgot. You can't really hurt anything that technically doesn't possess a nervous cluster...
Are you done with your insults? Or do you have something useful to say for a change?

The Wizard

Educated
MetalCraze said:
New Vegas, more like New Reno 2, amirite
if the game will have only a fraction of the interesting and fun content new reno has it will be a fucking miracle.

if that concept art is anything to go by, we just lost one cheesetastic game. a shame. truly.

edit:if if if if if if if.

Rosh

Erudite
Morgoth said:
Are you done with your insults? Or do you have something useful to say for a change?

I don't know, are you done pulling shit from your ass? Your tangential waffling doesn't really impress me. But run along back to the Obsidian forums and be cheered for "fighting the good fight". Go on, you have my permission.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Rosh said:
Morgoth said:

I don't know, are you done pulling shit from your ass? Your tangential waffling doesn't really impress me. But run along back to the Obsidian forums and be cheered for "fighting the good fight". Go on, you have my permission.
Nice try, Rosh. I'm looking forward to the fap-fest that is the official AP Codex review, written by you! Haha.

I'm done with that nonsense. Thank you.

Rosh

Erudite
Morgoth said:
Nice try, Rosh. I'm looking forward to the fap-fest that is the official AP Codex review, written by you! Haha.

I haven't seen a reason to buy (though I do borrow or rent, not pirate) any Obsidian game since KoTOR2, which was mostly recycled from the first one and still didn't even come out a full game.

Since you think I'm going to love a game with shitty combat when it's known I love decent FPS games as well, and I actually have played a good squad based tactical game (Full Spectrum Warrior), go on and tell me exactly why I should enjoy a game that does neither that or CRPG gameplay to any remarkable depth?

Go on! Sell me!

I'm done with that nonsense. Thank you.

Considering none of your "points" thus far have stood against even the most simple of examples in reality, particularly me liking AP when Ass Effect was a steaming pile of shit I couldn't stand to replay a third time*, while your arguments about piracy have been wrong every turd you've scrubbed onto these forums, you might want to stop before you're Dumbfucked.

*- Admittedly, I'm doing a review of Fallout 3, but it surprisingly has more replay to offer than Ass Effect.

1eyedking

Erudite

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Man, you guys are all over the place and at each others throats over a game that won't be released, that none of you have seen, yet some of you are convinced is the worst thing ever.

The general belligerence comment was directed towards those who are being belligerent.

As far as why do I post here? Because sometimes there is some good insight into RPGs if you are willing to sift through everything else.

Also, I like the fact that many people here are fans of classic and older games, which I am too.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Anthony Davis said:
Man, you guys are all over the place and at each others throats over a game that won't be released, that none of you have seen, yet some of you are convinced is the worst thing ever.
Business as usual?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Anthony Davis said:
I really wish I could sleep tonight...

NWN2 OC is another story altogether, and once again, laziness was not the problem.

NWN2 OC had several problems, many of which were solved when Josh Sawyer Chris Avellone took over the project - which is the nicest and most professional way I can phrase it.

We all worked very hard on NWN2: OC, especially once we found our direction. Unfortunately sometimes you can't go back and you have to live with certain choices that have already been made and implemented. Especially when you are talking about Voice Actors who record their lines far in advance, and tons and tons of scripting and programming for the INCREDIBLE number of cutscenes in that game and other gameplay elements.

Notice that REQUIRED companions were not in MotB and SoZ? (note: I think the red mage chick in MotB might have been required for just the first level/tutorial level, after that you could do what you want)
Notice that there were far fewer cutscenes in those games too?

Anyway, that is about all I really want to say about that. You will have to infer the rest from other posts made by other Obsidian devs.

First of all don't take this personally, because I'm talking about Obsidian as a whole. I don't know which of the problems (if any) are your fault.

Now... I can't really see the hard work behind NWN OC. But fine, you said it had its problems, but what about KOTOR2 and SOZ? Even the strongest Obsidian fanboys seem to agree that the former is poorly made and the latter is crap. People who can actually criticize without the fear or hurting Obisidian's feelings think even worse of them. And MotB which I'm playing now, while it certainly feels like a more thought out and refined project it's not without its share of stupid shit and filler combat. OK, so we put two stalkers to guard the temple, but let's also put a.. umm...SHADOW SPIDER in the clearing there! AWSUM!!

Also, don't blame it on voice acting. Were you forced to use voice-acting? If you were, you also were forced to have crappy to barely mediocre voice-acting? I would assume poor actors are cheap so re-record if you need to.
Why such an incredible number of cutscenes? They certainly didn't add anything to the game and were mostly a mix of the above mentioned crappy voice-acting, terrible dialog and awful, awful character models. Seriously, if you don't have at least decent models DON'T do close-ups.
And I wasn't talking about required companions (although that's fucking stupid in its own right but hey, if I was to write down all the shit from NWN2 it would take me a whole day) but about the moment when you're called by Nasher but none of your companions would come (with no explanation) just because you wanted to have a typical "we're gonna take all your weapons away" (which game developers think is SOOOO COOL!!!) only you took away the companions and made the player fight alone a hoard of undead. Oh, OK, not alone but with some dumb guards who couldn't kill anything and all the undead would come for you anyway as soon as you got close.

So yeah, everything smells like laziness, recycling of recycled ideas, tropes and cliches.

1eyedking

Erudite
Anthony Davis said:

The general belligerence comment was directed towards those who are being belligerent.

As far as why do I post here? Because sometimes there is some good insight into RPGs if you are willing to sift through everything else.

Also, I like the fact that many people here are fans of classic and older games, which I am too.
Can't take the heat? If not, and instead of bitching about "general belligerence", why don't you debunk those statements you deem incorrect?

Silellak

Cipher
Rosh said:
Considering none of your "points" thus far have stood against even the most simple of examples in reality, particularly me liking AP when Ass Effect was a steaming pile of shit I couldn't stand to replay a third time*, while your arguments about piracy have been wrong every turd you've scrubbed onto these forums, you might want to stop before you're Dumbfucked.

*- Admittedly, I'm doing a review of Fallout 3, but it surprisingly has more replay to offer than Ass Effect.

I am curious, if you hated Mass Effect so much, why would you suffer a second playthrough? Or even finish your first one?

1eyedking said:
Can't take the heat? If not, and instead of bitching about "general belligerence", why don't you debunk those statements you deem incorrect?

Clearly, he can take the heat, since he's been here for almost two years.

Shevek

Arcane
Obsidian developed Mask of the Betrayer. I have played cRPGs from as far back as Wasteland and I feel MotB ranks up pretty high. It may be an xpac but its easily the best cRPG of the current cRPG era. They get my respect. Its a shame this got cancelled.

Rosh

Erudite
Anthony Davis said:

Hello. Meet your nemesis called "track record". Until that changes, I have no reason to believe otherwise. Really, if those previews are anything to judge by considering other previews of similar (*cough*) work, I'd rate Ass Effect the better title.

I can't believe I just gave that game a compliment, even if it were in a roundabout way.

I guess that's a good thing, though most developers tend to be "stealthy" about their visits. ;)

Silellak said:
I am curious, if you hated Mass Effect so much, why would you suffer a second playthrough? Or even finish your first one?

The reason is twofold. One, it's like watching a B movie that takes itself far too seriously to the point of being unintentionally hilarious. Second, I wanted to see exactly how well, if at all, it could do anything other than the binary decision paths BioWare has been recycling for quite some time.

Nope, BioWare still haven't learned yet. In fact that could really describe the whole speech system.

circ

Arcane
Silellak said:
I personally played it twice because I thought the increased difficulty would add some challenge. It didn't. I was also curious if any of my choices would affect anything in paragon/renegade instead. They didn't. I just let a bunch of colonists die and the colony is empty and what's left is pissed off at me but that's it. Nice C&C. I wanted to see if playing with a different party would do jack shit for achievements or add more interesting party banter. It didn't! Also, it's an extremely short game, so to do another run when you can skip most of the inane dialogue and not pay attention to the horrible story, is easy.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
FeelTheRads said:
Now... I can't really see the hard work behind NWN OC. But fine, you said it had its problems, but what about KOTOR2 and SOZ? Even the strongest Obsidian fanboys seem to agree that the former is poorly made and the latter is crap.
What? KotOR 2 obviously could have been a lot better, but SoZ was amazing, full stop. It's been a long time since I had this much fun playing a video game. Exploring the map, bumping into random encounters, cleaning out dungeons, finding unique magic items and recipes for crafting - very simple, yet extremely addictive. Combine with Kaedrin's PRC pack and you have a powergamer's wet dream.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom