Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Animation reel from cancelled Aliens: Crucible RPG discovered on Vimeo

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Aliens: Crucible; Obsidian Entertainment; Sega

A month ago, former Obsidian animator Danny Garnett quietly uploaded a demo video of Obsidian's cancelled Alien-themed RPG, Aliens: Crucible, to Vimeo. A poster on the Guru3D forums discovered the video yesterday, and from there news of its existence spread across the Internet. As you might expect, it demonstrates various animations from the game.

All this happens in the wake of the hilarious failure of Gearbox's Aliens: Colonial Marines. In fact, if it hadn't been uploaded a month ago, one might wonder whether it was an attempt to send somebody a subtle message about their wisdom in choosing which games to cancel...

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Wishful thinking : there are tons of cheap alien ripoffs from the 80-90s ; if only Obsidian would care to buy the rights for one of them and put their canned design ideas to good use...

Bladderfish

Augur
Some of those animations are good, some are a bit pants ... but they could be far from finished.

Still, the bigger question is did Sega cancel the RPG because the shooter was a surer hit, or because it was looking shit in comparison to the really shit shooter? Still, given the way Gearbox have lied throughout the development of Colonial Marines, I won't be surprised if it simply came to them being bigger gobshites than Obsidian.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Safer bet. But look where it got them...

MCA
Sadly, Obsidian is practically incapable of developing a game that doesn't hing on combat. Kind of like every other game developer. Except they also come up with some good stuff so we like them better. And we've known for quite some time that their Alien RPG would be just another combat RPG where you kill xenomorphs by hundreds. Perhaps not as bad as Space Siege or Diablo but still a combat heavy game. Replace Aliens with orcs or goblins and weapons with magic missiles or something and it's all the fucking same. Just pointless.

bonescraper

Obsidian's at least looks less awful than most of what's been done with the xenomorphs,

54874_AliensRPG-ConceptArt-01_normal.jpg

Nope.

and if you notice, they're at least trying to make them conform to some kind of RPG tropes (blunt damage alien, fast/piercing damage alien, slashing damage alien) rather than just imagining cool looking shit for the sake of it.
:lol:

Yeah, too bad they never showed their elemental, healer and monk aliens.

:retarded:

Are you saying you'd prefer to fight the original xenomorph from Alien exclusively in every encounter and never have any variety or thought added to the design whatsoever?
There are at least 4 different types of aliens in the movies, so you're wrong. And i'm pretty sure one alien is perfectly capable of blunt, piercing and slashing damage, if you really want to think in D&D terms. Too bad it was going to be popamole console aRPG anyway.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's always difficult to try and make something new, especially if it involves movies. Imagine the outrage if someone would try to change how Wookies look, for example, and then to put it into a game.

MCA
Catering to the linear power progression is just retarded for an Alien game. You only need good characters, good writing and good gameplay mechanics to make a good Alien game. Not a dozen different alien types just so you have an excuse to level up and deal devastating amounts of damage. Incidentally, the "good gameplay mechanics" part is where Obsidian sucks because they are trapped within the linear power progression trope. They need to make lots of combat to survive and they survive to make lots of combat. And even the combat sucks.

Alien is a masterpiece and it only has one alien with a few stages of development and plenty of screen time for characters. Aliens, while not a masterpiece, still a good and entertaining sci-fi action flick, only has two types and one of them is sort of an end level boss. If anyone needs more, they are doing something wrong.

ironyuri

Catering to the linear power progression is just retarded for an Alien game. You only need good characters, good writing and good gameplay mechanics to make a good Alien game. Not a dozen different alien types just so you have an excuse to level up and deal devastating amounts of damage. Incidentally, the "good gameplay mechanics" part is where Obsidian sucks because they are trapped within the linear power progression trope. They need to make lots of combat to survive and they survive to make lots of combat. And even the combat sucks.

Alien is a masterpiece and it only has one alien with a few stages of development and plenty of screen time for characters. Aliens, while not a masterpiece, still a good and entertaining sci-fi action flick, only has two types and one of them is sort of an end level boss. If anyone needs more, they are doing something wrong.

cool story bro

you know, i hear a game came out recently where the devs perfectly emulated the setting of the Aliens movie, right down to the bullet holes in the colony walls and the name of the spaceships

LOL THAT WAS ALIENS COLONIAL MARINES I FOOLED YTOU LOOOOL

DEVS PERFECTLY GOT THAT SHIT AND LOOK WHERE IT GOT THEM

YES COPY THE MOVIE IT'LL BE FINE PLEASE THE FANBOY TARDS DON'T DO ANYTHING NEW

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
The plot and atmosphere of Alien would be hard to replicate in a video game, though. Different media, different requirements. It's not surprising video games reduced it to "wade your way through hundreds of xenomorphs!" which is kind of missing the point of Alien, and perhaps even of Aliens, action flick though it was.

I'd be very interested if a developer could pull off a game where it's just you, a group of survivors whose morale you have to monitor, and a single alien picking you off one by one. Or has something like that been produced? I can't say I follow this franchise closely in video game form, for fairly obvious reasons.

ironyuri

The plot and atmosphere of Alien would be hard to replicate in a video game, though. Different media, different requirements. It's not surprising video games reduced it to "wade your way through hundreds of xenomorphs!" which is kind of missing the point of Alien, and perhaps even of Aliens, action flick though it was.

I'd be very interested if a developer could pull off a game where it's just you, a group of survivors whose morale you have to monitor, and a single alien picking you off one by one. Or has something like that been produced? I can't say I follow this franchise closely in video game form, for fairly obvious reasons.

Someone raised this in the Colonial Marines thread, I believe. That would basically be a cross between Amnesia (Dark Descent) and an Aliens RPG, where the game design is radically different.

The problem being a game of that type is unlikely to ever be made using the setting which is too expensive for something qualitatively different to current iterations.*

A video was posted of exactly the type of game you describe in that thread:

Alien, 1984 (Atari)

*And I think most people generally forget that Alien is not really a science-fiction film, but a horror / thriller / splatterfest relocated to space. The narrative form taken by Alien is the same narrative form as Halloween, or Evil Dead, or the later Jason Voorhees/Nightmare on Elm Street films. People trapped in a confined space confronting a nebulous, essentially magical/mystical force (because its material existence is incomprehensible to them) which slowly picks them off one by one as it builds tension towards the splatter-fest climax: the protagonist comes out of the blood bath scarred, but alive. The later Aliens films take on the narrative tropes of other popular films or novels of the genre, so Aliens becomes analogous to Starship Troopers (the novel, before you jump down my fucking throat), a critique of militarism relocated to a space colony where humanity finds itself pitted against an incomprehensible and overwhelming enemy. The Aliens franchise, as a filmography is not consistent in any way, shape or form, and to suggest that a video game set in that "universe" must be absolutely consistent as if the creatures and characters are canon is ridiculous. Ripley's continued presence in the films is fan service, nothing more. Her appearances after Aliens are given such flimsy, absurd explanations as to render them unbelievable, for example.

So what Alien do you want, bonescraper, villain and evdk? In Alien, we find a facehugger, and later the full-grown xenomorph born of the dear departed. Aliens introduces the Queen and her "elite" guard of xenomorphs, which of the two shown, each appear different to the xenomorphs seen throughout. Each subsequent episode of the films has introduced to the "canon" or significantly altered it, but you want to argue for some essentialist or privileged Aliens canon vis a vis the creature design? Ridiculous.

It makes infinitely more sense for Obsidian to take the designs and tailor them to work in an rpg. To do otherwise is to pastiche the existing designs from the films and attempt to shoehorn them, which means we end up with the trash already extant in Aliens games.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
lol turn based

real time WITHOUT pause is probably the most likely

Duraframe300

Arcane
GG Sega, fightin the good fight against popamole decline. :smug:

Yeah, thats why they have been releasing Colonial Marines

We don't even know how these designs would have been used. It'd be interesting to get some design docs in the future.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom