Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Aliens: Colonial Marines

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Anyone else getting this? It looks very popamole but it was only $30 from GetGamesGo if you use the coupon code (LV-426), so I decided to waste a few dollars while hungry children in africa starve.

I'm not expecting much from it, but I've always been a xenomorph fan so if it's anything above mediocre it will be worth it.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
No u.

After playing through a short preview of some of the game's early levels, it's hard to say whether the game will live up to the lofty expectations of series fans.

The most honest description of my experience with the game is a somewhat obvious one: it's Call of Duty: Aliens, for better or worse, in terms of story, gameplay and aesthetic.

It's sad then, that the small amount of story I was exposed to felt dull and formulaic - and, most importantly, the titular Aliens were astonishingly clunky, weightless and unimposing.

Oh, damn. Guess I'll be requesting a refund then.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Eh, it's not like I can't get a refund, but who knows. Maybe I'll just keep it. It's only $30. Might as well try it out first-hand if it's so cheap. At worst it can supply me with a few minutes of amusement as I come rip it apart on the forums.

kris

Arcane
Look more like "Marines: alien genocide"
A game were you slughter aliens with juicy green blood that you have to wash off your face.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Yeah, it's a pity. The Aliens franchise has a lot of potential. Especially if someone were to make something other than an FPS. Which reminds me, whatever happened to the Aliens RPG? I haven't heard a word about it in ages.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah, it's a pity. The Aliens franchise has a lot of potential. Especially if someone were to make something other than an FPS. Which reminds me, whatever happened to the Aliens RPG? I haven't heard a word about it in ages.
Canceled by SEGA.

EDIT: How about this? It's not a very good game though.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
To be honest, I'd be surprised if Colonial Marines was worse than Comic Book Adventure. Aliens: CBA is the worst game I've ever played.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The biggest dick moves from last AVP was DLC containing multiplayer maps. Considering it's Gearbox and Sega, I'm sure they will do it again. So no day 1 purchase, maybe on some steam sale.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
I officially declare: when I come to power, I've special gas chambers planned for such people.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I officially declare: when I come to power, I've special gas chambers planned for such people.
How special? Complementary Champagne in the lounge before the big event? Smorgasbord served on the bodies of naked Liara cosplayers? Live music?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Live music? Nickelback. (They'll even follow them into the chambers for the full experience.)
Refreshments? Cold coffee.

So the general consensus so far:
1. Bad animations
2. Easy as hell for the marines
3. 'You can now jump over there' sings and general handholding
4. Aliens don't walk on walls it seems (?)
5. Getting stuck in the environment (boxes and containers, aliens seemed to glitch in them, but could just be a temporary bug)

Their whole marketing campaign is: I-it's like the movie, guys, r-realy. Y-you liked the movie, right? Buy the game!
And I wanted this to be good. I wanted it so bad.

kazgar

Arcane
How special? Complementary Champagne in the lounge before the big event? Smorgasbord served on the bodies of naked Liara cosplayers? Live music?

Just lay out a trail of doritos towards the gas chamber, and a couple of mountain dews inside. Soon enough all the people you want in there will be in the right place.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Yeah , aliens are now just some stupid animals, they even invented a tank type to mindless charge at you, long cutscenes showing the aliens, dudebro space marines telling you what to do, QTEs to stop the aliens from eating your face ( I wouldn't be surprised if there is an option to melee the aliens), it is like they took Alien 1 and 2 movies, being incapable to understand how the movies worked decided to do a Call of Dooty: aliens. I don't give a shit to the colonial marines, they are on the movie to be eaten by the aliens and to show how deadly the aliens are, I'm totally expecting that they are going to try to tell an EMOTIONAL ENGAGING story about the space marines. If this game had half of the atmosphere from AVP 1 and 2 games it could be decent, but they are too incompetent to manage that. It is too much to ask that Gearbox take the AVP 1 and 2 marine campaings and improve the graphics?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I wish this game were decent so my Wii U can stop collecting dust.
Here's hoping for Bayonetta.

Aldebaran

Erudite
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
It's a pity that the Alien lost the RAPE when Aliens started.

Every comic book, action figure, video game, and sequel ticket purchased led inexorably to the trailer that is proudly presented on page five. And there is still so much room left to fall.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Well, in all fairness the lead writer did deny having any involvement with that trailer.

That said, it still sucks that SEGA thought that that trailer would appeal to Aliens fans. And that bodes very ill for the game itself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom