Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Aliens: Colonial Marines

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Sega gets a cop-out by putting some money in the pot, of which barely half will end up in the hands of claimants, without having to accept any further liability or admission of guilt?

Talk about getting off lightly. I hope this gets rejected.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
Fuck, now i regret i didn't preorder this shitty game :mad:

Payments to customers who fill out a three question claim form, purchased the game before Feb. 13, 2013 and are approved, will not exceed the amount paid for the game.

You'd only be getting back your preorder money, which Randy Pitchford had profited on by investing that money on Boredlands 2.

The only winner here is the lawyer.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Maybe not even.

If approved by the court, Sega will pay $1.25 million into a settlement fund. Of that fund, $312,500 will be used to cover attorney fees for the plaintiffs, $200,000 will be used to cover the cost of administration, $2,500 will go to the plaintiff and the rest will be used to pay to those eligible customers who purchased the game. Payments to customers who fill out a three question claim form, purchased the game before Feb. 13, 2013 and are approved, will not exceed the amount paid for the game. The amount each customer receives back will be dependent on how many people submit claims. No money will be returned to Sega.

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/2014/08/12/sega-pay-1-25m-aliens-colonial-marines-lawsuit/

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.polygon.com/2014/9/3/6102035/sega-gearbox-lawsuit-aliens-colonial-marines

Sega blames Gearbox for mismanaging Aliens: Colonial Marines marketing
By Brian Crecente on Sep 03, 2014 at 2:27p @crecenteb

Gearbox Software studio head Randy Pitchford did "whatever the fuck he likes" when it came to the marketing and promotion ofAliens: Colonial Marines, according to documents filed this week in the class-action lawsuit claiming the game was falsely advertised at trade shows.

The Sept. 2 filing by Sega of America details the publisher's take on why Gearbox is just as culpable in the case as Sega. The company's attorney writes that despite Gearbox's claims that they weren't involved in marketing, Gearbox participated equally, sometimes overstepping bounds or keeping Sega in the dark about promotional decisions.

Aliens: Colonial Marines was released Feb. 12, 2013, to harsh criticism and low review scores. Some players and reviewers noted that the game's visuals didn't match what Sega and developer Gearbox showed off of the game prior to release at fan and press events.

These demos, which Gearbox co-founder Randy Pitchford called "actual gameplay," according to the filing, were criticized after the game's launch for featuring graphical fidelity, AI behavior and even entire levels not featured in the game. Our review of Aliens: Colonial Marines featured a gallery highlighting some of the differences between a 2012 video walkthrough of the title, and the same level in the final version of the game.

In August, Sega and the plaintiffs reached a tentative agreement for $1.25 million, much of which was to be paid out to people who had purchased the game before Feb. 13, 2013. According to court documents, Gearbox attorneys were told they could be included in the settlement if they agreed to pay an additional $750,000 into the settlement. But instead, Gearbox filed a motion to throw out the case. Gearbox argued it shouldn't be included in the suit because it operated as a contractor, and that Sega had final say on the game and its marketing.

Gearbox Software is fighting to have the tentative agreement thrown out, saying that the settlement with Sega would leave Gearbox "holding the bag" in future lawsuits despite being a contractor, that they weren't a part of the settlement negotiations and that it isn't a fair deal for gamers.

In the motion filed this week, Sega notes that it was initially given "absolute discretion" with regard to marketing decisions, but that the publisher was contractually required to discuss and consult Gearbox on all marketing activities.

"The parties had to mutually agree to the 'precise particulars of marketing assets' delivered by Gearbox," according to the motion. "Gearbox's participation — Randy Pitchford's, in particular — was a key element in the ACM marketing strategy from the beginning."

An enclosed proposition document noted that Pitchford is a "respected development celebrity and is guaranteed to be headline material in worldwide press coverage."

The motion goes on to say that the E3 2011 demo, which many point to as the crux of the misleading advertising, was created entirely by Gearbox.

Following the presentation, Gearbox officials told Sega officials that the demo was the bar the game should be held to, according to an internal email.

"During one of my conversations with Gearbox today I verified that the E3 Demo is indeed the bar that we should use to determine where the entire game will be," Matt Powers, senior producer at Sega of America, wrote to a handful of other Sega employees. "That is Gearbox's plan and what they believe in. I just wanted to double-check with them and since I did I figured I would pass that along to you."

The filing lists eight other examples of times when Sega says Gearbox made announcements to the press and public without Sega's approval, sometimes despite specific requests not to, according to the motion.

That includes E3 2011, when Sega officials noted that Pitchford went well beyond the bounds of a prepared questions and answers document Sega provided and "talked a LOT beyond what was in there."

sega-email__2_.0.png

Other examples included posts to the game's website, announcements at a community day event and releasing an unapproved screenshot. This seemed to culminate in October 2012, when a member of the Sega PR team spoke with a Gearbox official in person about what they called "leaks."

"I spoke face to face to [Gearbox's Steve] Gibson about their persistent panel leaking," Matt Eyre wrote in an email to other company officials. "Effectively — it's Randy [Pitchford] doing whatever the fuck he likes. Apparently he did it twice on [Borderlands 2] also, against, against all plans and despite the fact they asked him not to. I think our best result here is that we have no more panel sessions ..."

The filing also refutes Gearbox's earlier claims that they never received any payments tied to the sales of Aliens. According to the filing, Sega paid Gearbox millions of dollars in advance royalties in the form of milestone payments. These were payments tied to the timed completion of things like a demo.

"If and when Sega recoups the royalties advanced to Gearbox in the form of milestone payments, Gearbox will receive a percentage of the net receipts for each sale of ACM," according to the motion.

The motion, which asks the court to ignore Gearbox's request to block the settlement with Sega, does not address earlier claims by Gearbox that it paid millions of its own money to finish the game.

The next hearing is being held on Oct. 29.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://kotaku.com/the-legal-battle-over-aliens-colonial-marines-just-got-1630197749

The Legal Battle Over Aliens: Colonial Marines Just Got Juicy

yk0a9v18ywajovzcrtwx.jpg

We're still seeing fallout from one of the biggest video game flops in recent history, and some recent court documents reveal a number of juicy details that give us a behind-the-scenes look at the marketing of Aliens: Colonial Marines, including internal e-mails and some jargon-filled PR plans that are as insane as they are revealing.

Last year, the class-action lawsuit firm Edelson LLC filed suit against publisher Sega and developer Gearbox for Colonial Marines, claiming false advertising in a legal battle that has lasted far longer than either party anticipated. The game, which looked drastically different in trade show demos than it did when it came out last year, was unanimously panned. In the weeks afterward, Kotaku learned that Gearbox had outsourced the majority of development to the studio TimeGate, only stepping in at the last minute to finish production on the much-maligned game.

The plaintiffs behind the class-action lawsuit reached a settlement with Sega earlier this summer, but Gearbox pulled out, asking to be dropped from the suit and arguing that Sega was the main party responsible for publishing and marketing the game.

Gearbox never belonged in this lawsuit. Gearbox is a video game software developer. It was neither the publisher nor seller of the video game at issue. For more than a year, Gearbox has quietly abided the plaintiffs' claims so that Sega, the game's publisher and the party responsible for the game's marketing and sale, could assume the defense of this lawsuit. Gearbox has honored its publisher's request in spite of plaintiffs' highly-publicized—and highly-misplaced—claims against Gearbox. At this point, however, Gearbox is obligated to pursue its rightful departure from this case.

(You can read Gearbox's full case on the bottom of this post.)

This week, Sega struck back. In court documents filed yesterday, the publisher released a whole bunch of e-mails that were exchanged during the development and marketing processes forAliens: Colonial Marines. Within the filing (which I've also embedded below), Sega argues that Gearbox was heavily involved with marketing the game and that they essentially did their own thing. Sega claims that Gearbox boss Randy Pitchford repeatedly spilled details about Colonial Marines without the publisher's approval.

One e-mail released to the court, for example, shows Sega brand manager Matt Eyre accusing Pitchford of "doing whatever the fuck he likes."

a3v2q4zlrtnwv8zhszlw.png

None of the other e-mails are quite as interesting: most contain discussions from 2011 and 2012 over screenshots and minor details of Colonial Marines that got out to the public, purportedly without Sega's knowledge. A few of these e-mail exchanges involve Sega and Gearbox reps asking gaming websites to take down those screenshots accordingly. (I've reached out to Gearbox for comment, and will update should they choose to send over any statements, though that's unlikely given the legal ramifications here.)

Beyond the e-mails, though, some court-released documents give us a rare look into the marketing plans behind an AAA video game, which is bizarre and fascinating.

As an example, here's one section of the PR and marketing campaign for Colonial Marines:

q8gthgfvucy9ekeoeigf.png
EXPAND

Best part: "Do E3 awards = sales? Randy puts forth Epic Mickey example."

And here is the proposition document for Colonial Marines, which is equally interesting:

etxkvnga0udvhylqcjzp.png

Fascinating that their target market is "suspicious of new IP." "After all, you can't go wrong with a badass shooter."

Large chunks of these documents are censored, but still, this stuff is gold. Here's what might be the nuttiest section of all, stating that Gearbox should have "free reign to generate PR hits" through Pitchford, a "respected development celebrity" who "is guaranteed to be headline material in worldwide press coverage."

Full article has more documents.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
:necro:

Aliens: Colonial Marines lawsuit loses class status, Gearbox dropped from suit
By Brian Crecente on May 28, 2015 at 10:03p @crecenteb

The plaintiffs in a lawsuit against Gearbox Software and Sega, claiming the developer falsely advertised Aliens: Colonial Marines with unrepresentative trade show demonstrations, have agreed to drop Gearbox from the suit, according to court documents obtained by Polygon today.

The judge in the case also ruled that the suit, which still stands against publisher Sega and once nearly reached a $1.25 million settlement, is no longer a class action and will only be representative of the two original gamers who filed the suit through law firm Edelson LLC in the Northern District of California in April, 2013.

Aliens: Colonial Marines was released Feb. 12, 2013, to harsh criticism and low review scores. Some players and reviewers noted that the game's visuals didn't match what Sega and developer Gearbox showed off of the game prior to release at fan and press events.

These demos, which Gearbox co-founder Randy Pitchford called "actual gameplay," according to the original court filing, were criticized after the game's launch for featuring graphical fidelity, AI behavior and even entire levels not featured in the game. Our review of Aliens: Colonial Marines featured a gallery highlighting some of the differences between a 2012 video walkthrough of the title, and the same level in the final version of the game.

In August 2014, Sega and the plaintiffs reached a tentative agreement for $1.25 million, much of which was to be paid out to people who had purchased the game before Feb. 13, 2013. According to court documents, Gearbox attorneys were told they could be included in the settlement if they agreed to pay an additional $750,000 into the settlement. But instead, Gearbox filed a motion to throw out the case. Gearbox argued it shouldn't be included in the suit because it operated as a contractor, and that Sega had final say on the game and its marketing.

Copious court filings came out of the more than two year court battle, some including tantalizing details about how games are developed and marketed and insight into Sega's displeasure with how Gearbox head Randy Pitchford promoted the game.

That argument proceeded until this month when the judge finally ruled on both the class action status and Gearbox's motion to dismiss.

On May 12, U.S. District Judge James Donato denied the original motion for class certification in the suit and also denied Gearbox's motion to dismiss the case against it. But in a case management meeting yesterday, the attorneys for the plaintiff agreed to dismiss the case against Gearbox with prejudice (meaning they can't later file another suit connected to the same case) in return for a Gearbox not seeking legal fees. Both parties have sixty days before the decision is final.

In his May 12 decision to deny the class certification, Donato wrote that the definition of the gamers who would have made up the class wasn't specific enough. Initially, the class was meant to include everyone in the U.S. who bought a copy of the game. The definition made no attempt to limit the class to just people who might have seen misleading advertising, Donato wrote. The attorneys later suggested that people applying for the class action settlement would have to swear they had seen a misleading trailer prior to pre-ordering the game, which Donato didn't think was appropriate.

The class action was also hindered by the fact that the game was advertised through a number of presentations and trailers, some of which may have been misleading and some of which weren't.

Ultimately, Donato wrote, there's no reliable and manageable way to figure out who was mislead and who wasn't.

In refusing to dismiss the case against Gearbox, Donato wrote that Gearbox's argument that the game was a licensed work, and therefore protected through the end user license agreement, doesn't hold water for the game itself, only the online elements. That's because the EULA allows Gearbox to prohibit access to its licensed work and "Gearbox definitely does not have the right to go into consumers' homes and remove their copies ofACM."

The court notes from the May 27 meeting between the attorneys doesn't explain exactly why the plaintiffs dropped Gearbox from the suit. But it does seem to indicate that the developer's unwillingness to settle and the loss of class action status forced the hand of the plaintiff's attorneys who are now in renewed settlement discussions with Sega.

The plaintiff's now have until June 3 to tell the court how they intend to proceed with respect to Sega, according to the document.

I will have to rephrase my statement. BLOOD is the best FPS game due to the genius of map design, DOOM cames after, then everything else.

I honestly still cannot figure out how a retard proposed "Natural Selection 2" as a substitute. Only the mediocrity of that game was astounding. Multiplayer fags deserve all the shit the devs serve them.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Map and level design is possibly the number one most important consideration in whether or not I'll enjoy a single-player first-person shooter.

Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold stands out as one I really enjoyed during my childhood. The levels were nicely maze-like, you had to find keycards for various doors, figure out how to turn off force fields, etc.

I dislike shooters that follow the "move from one simple large room to the next fighting hordes of enemies" formula.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Amusing interview with Randy Pitchford: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-07-23-an-hour-with-randy-pitchford

Excerpt:

Eurogamer: Specifically regarding Aliens, if we forget for a moment whether we like it or we don't like it, a lot of people feel the game that launched was substantially different to the game that had been shown previously at trade shows.

Randy Pitchford: Yeah, games change under development, that's true.

Eurogamer: I absolutely accept that, and the footage was marked as work in progress and that's fair. What I'm curious about is why did this game change in the way it did?

Randy Pitchford: Which way do you want to talk about? Pick a way it changed. Do you have a specific example of something that changed?

Eurogamer: Yes! If we look at the E3 2011 gameplay demo for Aliens, there were certain graphical effects we didn't see in the launch version.

Randy Pitchford: We need a laptop. We can't do this.

Eurogamer: Oh come on. You must know what I'm talking about.

Randy Pitchford: I can't remember every effect. I can't possibly remember.

Eurogamer: Okay, but the general point is that it didn't look as good when it launched as it did in those videos.

Randy Pitchford: I think that's subjective. There was one demo that was done, there was basically the same environment that was the first map of the game, and they were trying to show, oh look how it changed. It was kind of hilarious because, the first thing was, you're walking down the umbilical cord and then there's a jolt and a shake and you look up and a body of a marine smashes against the glass and the glass shatters and there's blood and then the first-person player falls down and there's blood on the ground and then he pushes his hand off of it and stands up and you can see blood on his hand, and then he readies his gun and moves forward.

And then they showed, like, here's the final version. In the final version, the thing shakes, he looks up, the body hits the glass but it doesn't shatter. There's no shattering effect. And then when he falls there's no blood on the ground and he doesn't do the thing where he looks at the blood on his hand. And that's a scandal. Like, that is a scandal.

That's an interesting one because I did look at that one specifically and I heard the tone of the voice of the people who were talking over it telling me what a scandal it was and how obviously horrible the decision was to make those changes. I've seen lots of conspiracy videos on completely different subjects and it's the same kind of tone, where it's very convincing. And I actually know what that's about. It makes a lot of sense.

Eurogamer: Go on then. What is it?

Randy Pitchford: What's funny is - I'll get to it - that doesn't matter. In either case, whether those details change or not, that wasn't it. That had nothing to do with how people feel about the whole product. Think about Borderlands. We completely changed the art style. Completely changed it. And yet because people generally liked it, they defend it.

Things will change no matter what. Artists will make decisions. Programmers and designers will change things. There are lots of different reasons developers make changes in the course of development. Some artistic, some technical, some procedural. But they'll make changes. And when we like the result, every change we notice we can defend. And if we don't like the result, every change is a scandal.

No developer who ever worked on any game is making a change thinking, aha! This is going to make my customer mad at me. I can't wait to make this change. And so the whole premise is just completely absurd. And the claims that come from the premise are nuts. The fundamental point is, we could have done a great job, but we tried to do a bad job. It's just insane.

The reality is a lot more embarrassing. I'm flattered by the claim, because the claim suggests Gearbox will always make a brilliant game if we just wanted to or tried to. We must not have tried to, or there must have been some other game going on there. But the truth is so much more embarrassing, which is, we f***king tried our hardest. We were trying to do a great job, and we really committed ourselves, and yet the market judged it as harshly as it did, and we failed on that regard.

Eurogamer: But why? That's what I want to know.

Randy Pitchford: Entertainment works that way. I don't know!

Eurogamer: You were managing the project.

Randy Pitchford: How can I tell you why I like something and you don't.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Randy Pitchford is a mongoloid clown, and all Gearbox games sucks balls. That interview is just pathetic.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Another person I engaged with it was like, the aliens were really stupid, they just sort of ran at me. I was like, kind of like they did in the movie? They're bugs. What are you expecting? Smart flanking manoeuvres? It's kind of weird.

"Aliens is my favourite movie" infuckingdeed :lol:

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I guess Randy missed that scene where a bunch of 'bugs' breach the barricades in stealth mode by infiltrating through the dropped ceiling.

What a colossal dumbfuck.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
There was a whole one time in the movie where the xenomorphs tried to use wave tactics, and even that was a planned move to use up all the ammo of the portable unmanned gun turrets. Every other time they attacked the marines it was through sneak attacks and hit-and-run tactics, intentionally avoiding killing the marines so they could bring them back to the nest and get them facehugged. Hell, I'm pretty sure the only time we actually see an Alien killing a person onscreen was when one snuck aboard their transport ship and killed the two pilots, which grounded the remaining marines, a majority of the actual, onscreen deaths in the movie came when the marines accidentally wound up killing one-another during the initial ambush.

Last edited:
There was a whole one time in the movie where the xenomorphs tried to use wave tactics, and even that was a planned move to use up all the ammo of the portable unmanned gun turrets. Every other time they attacked the marines it was through sneak attacks and hit-and-run tactics, intentionally avoiding killing the marines so they could bring them back to the nest and get them facehugged. Hell, I'm pretty sure the only time we actually see an Alien killing a person onscreen was when one snuck aboard their transport ship and killed the two pilots, which grounded the remaining marines, a majority of the actual, onscreen deaths in the movie came when the marines accidentally wound up killing one-another during the initial ambush.

Aliens is heavily drawn from Cameron's experience in Vietnam. You go up against a far away enemy that you don't understand and that hasn't even a fraction of your tech. In an open battlefield you could cut them down without loss, fuck you could nuke them orbit. But there is no way that a scenario like that could materialise, they don't send soldiers unless there's something to fight over and destroying all the valuable assets that you were sent to recover is a loss, not a victory.

Nevertheless you're arrogant because you haven't had a proper opponent in a long time and by the time you get Si scared your on their grounds, in their environment, and you loose 3/4 of your squad to an ambush. It didn't seem plausible that you could lose against such a low tech opponent, but they chose the battleground with the tech difference in mind. Alright. Now you know what you're up against. This time you're choosing the battleground. You shut off every exit but one,, and design it so that the enemy has to charge straight into your overwhelming firepower. And fuck yeah! It works! You inflict losses on them that are at least as bad as when they ambushed you, and not a single casualty as you rested behind your machines. But they're going to be back. And because they know the land, and you're the ones holed up, immobile, they're going to find a way past that you never even knew existed.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria

Aliens is heavily drawn from Cameron's experience in Vietnam. You go up against a far away enemy that you don't understand and that hasn't even a fraction of your tech. In an open battlefield you could cut them down without loss, fuck you could nuke them orbit. But there is no way that a scenario like that could materialise, they don't send soldiers unless there's something to fight over and destroying all the valuable assets that you were sent to recover is a loss, not a victory.

Nevertheless you're arrogant because you haven't had a proper opponent in a long time and by the time you get Si scared your on their grounds, in their environment, and you loose 3/4 of your squad to an ambush. It didn't seem plausible that you could lose against such a low tech opponent, but they chose the battleground with the tech difference in mind. Alright. Now you know what you're up against. This time you're choosing the battleground. You shut off every exit but one,, and design it so that the enemy has to charge straight into your overwhelming firepower. And fuck yeah! It works! You inflict losses on them that are at least as bad as when they ambushed you, and not a single casualty as you rested behind your machines. But they're going to be back. And because they know the land, and you're the ones holed up, immobile, they're going to find a way past that you never even knew existed.
Pretty sure James Cameron never went to Vietnam brah.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Pretty sure James Cameron never went to Vietnam brah.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
ITT: Randy Pitchford lies through his teeth. People seem surprised.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
http://aliensoverhaul.mattfilerfilms.co.uk
http://www.moddb.com/mods/templargfxs-acm-overhaul

Overhaul mod, yet to try it.

Xenomorphs have seen the most improvements, with fixes to their behaviour and core mechanics to make them truly terrifying foes, dramatically shifting the tone of the entire campaign.

This state of the bad-ass art modification for Aliens: Colonial Marines reworks, reprograms and rebalances xenomorph AI, human AI, weapon mechanics, ballistics, animations, shaders, particles, decals, lighting, and engine features to get the best out of the game possible. This is truly the ultimate Aliens gaming experience!

Last edited:

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Tried mod on 6th mission, died 5 times at the start.
Mod has adjustable difficulty, I choose 'slowed down alien soldier', live longer:

Recoil is stronger now so I use short controlled bursts with the pulse rifle.
Might want to try 'Weaker Soldiers' difficulty next.

Unwanted

Jaklon

Unwanted
Shitposter

lol

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom