Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alien: Isolation

waterdeep

Learned
Finally :bounce:

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-04-26-alien-isolation-2-rumour-isnt-true

Alien: Isolation 2 rumour isn't true
Game over, man.

By Chris Bratt Published 26/04/2017

Creative Assembly is not currently working on an Alien: Isolation sequel, Eurogamer understands.

The rumour, which began with the latest edition of Official PlayStation Magazine (via PlayStation Universe), has since been picked up by a number of other publications and spawned a Reddit thread with more than 600 upvotes, as well as a discussion on gaming forum NeoGAF.

"Our sources tell us that after work is finished on Halo Wars 2," said OPM, "a new Alien game may start development over at Alien Isolation dev Creative Assembly."

jpg

OPM's rumour machine.

Eurogamer's own sources have told us this isn't the case. Although the Halo Wars 2 team has already started prototyping its next project, likely to be a couple of years away from completion, this won't be an Alien title.

More than that, we're told the majority of the Alien: Isolation design team no longer works at Creative Assembly. Cross-referencing the more recent Halo Wars 2 credits with the credits for Alien: Isolation certainly suggests this is the case. In fact, most of the names that do reappear only do so in the 'Special Thanks' section and belong to designers that now work elsewhere.

Alien: Isolation may have been a critical hit, but with somewhere around two million lifetime sales (many sold at a discounted price), it was not seen as a huge commercial success by publisher Sega.

"Alien: Isolation 2 is not out of the question," Creative Assembly studio director Tim Heaton told GamesIndustry.biz in late 2015, "because we're so proud of it and there's possibly more to be said. But do we really want to be spending very significant amounts of money, and getting close to break-even or just about in the black? That's not where Sega wants to be, when we have a brilliant portfolio of other games that do great business."

"Currently the studio is fully focused on the development of Total War: Warhammer 2 and other as yet unannounced projects," Sega told Eurogamer when asked for comment. As we already know, those unannounced projects include a new historical Total War title.

We also reached out to Official PlayStation Magazine this morning, asking for clarification on its original rumour.

"We can't talk in any more detail about aspects of the Rumour Machine section of the magazine," said editor Ian Dean.

Fuck 'em.

At this point Sega now is reduced to Total War, Yakuza and old ports. Perhaps Fox should give the Alien license to a more prolific publisher then if Sega is too retarded to do something useful with it.

Tytus

Arcane
And Alpha Protocol 2!

Because it is coming. It is! I don't care what anybody says! It is coming! It is!
:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Master

Arbiter
Been playin some AI because of System Shocky vibes it has. But something fucked up is happening. After i wrenched some dude it seems i cant pick up his gun! Please tell me this is just the controls being finicky. Or that i am a total fucking noob. Dont tell me i cant pick up a gun but can pick up all kinds of useless junk like, scrap metal? Wtf! Does Ripleys daughter have some (Alien) syndrome or what.

Sodafish

Arcane
Hmmm... as I recall you first find the revolver lying on some table or other (security office? been a while). If you can't pick it up I suspect it may be because you aren't "meant" to have it until then.

Falksi

Arcane
One of the most awesome door opening, corridor walking simulators ever.

Hopefully we'll get a sequel where we get to stand in a queue for a bit to really create a sense of excitement & tension.

Master

Arbiter
If you can't pick it up I suspect it may be because you aren't "meant" to have it until then.

Damn i can even kick it around a bit but i cant pick it up. What amazing modern game. Well at least it looks good.

Zenith

Arbiter
What, did you expect to be able to pick up a weapon without a minute long uninterruptible pre-baked animation? What year do you think this is?

(in seriousness, you can't, but there's one you can pick up just a minute away from the first hostile humans iirc)

Master

Arbiter
Hmm i missed it. Tell me where it is, can i go back and get it? I dont understand why is everyone trying to kill me, what the fuck did i do?

Master

Arbiter
What? Thats either some uruguayan movie or a tv show about... something. Damn i should buy a TV.

Remember guise, don't forget to play A:I with this anti-eye-cancer mod:
https://github.com/aliasIsolation/aliasIsolation/releases

Other two mods that are must for me:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=324612199 - Higher shadow resolutions, better LODs, FOV values changed to horizontal. DO NOT use alternate planar reflections though, original reflections are way better.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/unpredictable-alien-mod - Makes alien search for you in wider area, meaning it's not always predictably on your ass. Mostly makes it less annoying. I also witnessed some cool shit that I never saw without this mod, like Alien freezing in one place for a while, not making a single move, just standing there. Creeped me the fuck out one time when I just came across it while looking at motion sensor, which of course was completely silent. Couldn't see myself going back to vanilla after this one.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
http://www.moddb.com/mods/unpredictable-alien-mod - Makes alien search for you in wider area, meaning it's not always predictably on your ass. Mostly makes it less annoying. I also witnessed some cool shit that I never saw without this mod, like Alien freezing in one place for a while, not making a single move, just standing there. Creeped me the fuck out one time when I just came across it while looking at motion sensor, which of course was completely silent. Couldn't see myself going back to vanilla after this one.

Does this mod make the game any less tense or easier? Or just "different" but still faithful to its core?

Does this mod make the game any less tense or easier? Or just "different" but still faithful to its core?

Makes it a little different, it's still tense as fuck. I played with it on middle difficulty and it didn't feel too easy. I definitely welcomed the fact that I wasn't being stuck hiding in rooms for 5-10 minutes anymore because Alien just won't leave where I am despite not actually knowing my location. This mod gives it more freedom to go search in other places. It just makes more sense to me. Definitely superior experience to vanilla, I'd even recommend it for first time players.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy

Meanwhile, last page and a year ago...

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Hey CA's console team is making a new game: https://www.pcgamesn.com/creative-assembly-new-ip-hiring

Creative Assembly's new IP will be "the biggest multiformat project in studio history"

Creative Assembly are hiring for what an insider at the studio tells us is “the biggest multiformat project Creative Assembly has ever undertaken.” The project is a new IP being developed by the team behind Alien: Isolation and Halo Wars 2.

Job ads for the new project appeared on the studio's careers page yesterday. They don't reveal much but we can glean a few things about the new IP from the positions Creative Assembly are hiring for - a senior meta game designer, lead systems designer, and a lead technical artist.

Creative Assembly want the meta game designer to create the framework for the game ”economy, progression and retention methods, leaderboards, challenges, world building and events.” Strongly suggesting the project is a service game with multiplayer.

The job description for the systems designer refers to “weapons, movement, abilities, gadgets, health and other underlying gameplay systems.” Which aren’t exactly unique to a particular genre, but to my mind abilities lend themselves to games that are more RPG-based in nature.

We can’t learn much from the technical artist’s job spec, unless you find “Practical experience and a strong comprehension of PBR (physical-based rendering)” particularly revealing. It does, however, mention needing to communicate ideas and techniques to “3rd parties and stakeholders.” Which could suggest Creative are working with a partner on this project, as they did with 343 Industries on Halo Wars 2.

Expect more to be revealed in the coming months.

"meta game", "economy", "progression", "retention", "leaderboards"

Nevermind.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom