Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alien: Isolation

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Doctored videos is now.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
This could be awesome. I remember the first thing I thought after playing "Amnesia" was that, with a few tweaks, it could be an interesting Alien game. Taking the concept from the first Alien film where you don't have guns and stuff to fight it, but instead would have to use unconventional methods.....avoiding it while accomplishing other objectives or using more primitive means like fire to scare it off. Eventually you would have to devise some way to kill it, but you could have alot of fun before then (especially if they just make the alien a background threat, rather than the main objective. Most of the game would probably involve other objectives like repairing the ship and searching for people or stuff like that).

Only problem is that Aliens are such a common place horror creature by now that it's going to be really hard to make them "scary" as they lack mystery and we all know what they are capable of. The most effective parts of survival horror games like "Amnesia" and "Outlast" are the first few hours when you still don't know fully what you are up against and what it can do (then, once you get a good look at them and get a sense of what their AI is capable of, tension deflates). But we've all seen aliens so many times up close in films over the years, not to mention mowed them down by the scores in other video games, and we are all so familiar with their mythology that they really don't have much surprise value left. Which is why I think they work better in an action context than a horror context now.

I still think a survival horror game could work, though, they'll just have to be creative in ratcheting up the atmosphere/tension/suspense.

Last edited:

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
I think the scariness in A:I will not come from the Xeno's commonly known appearance, but the unpredictable AI in conjunction with smart level design. If they fuck that up, the whole game might blow, but I think CA is fully aware of that. I think being stalked by a giant bug and not have any means to escape or fend it off in and itself is more terrifying than playing with cues and mystery.

And it's officially disappointing.

It's Amnesia in space. Yawn. I'm all for coming up with different approaches, but this isn't breaking any new ground whatsoever.

I'm more interested -and starved- in a slow paced and tense Alien game than breaking any new ground, even though the latter would also be neat.

What bugs me even more is that not only is Amanda Ripley put aboard a space station that's IDENTICAL to the Nostromo,

Modular and standardized design for sophisticated space rednecks maintaining expensive company assets. Perfectly fine for me. Though I doubt that it is IDENTICAL deck to deck and in exact layout, which would indeed be boring, using identical set pieces in different layouts is ideal and very believable, if you ask me. I see identical sets of seats and cabin compartments in different arrangements in airplanes all the time.

she's also made to be as similar in apperance as her mother, right down to the brand of wristwatch.

It's just pathetic.

Indeed. So unnecessary. And the back story isn't all that interesting. Alright, an Amanda Ripley, daughter of Ellen Ripley who went MIA in space, might strive to get into a position where one day she could investigate but it's also forced and corners the franchise into a RIPLEYS SPACE ADVENTURES WITH GIGER'S ALIEN angle.

But, it could work. Depends on how they play and tie the company into it.

The bigger problem I find with the game is that it's lacking one crucial element that the original film had: Crew dynamics. This is like the most fundamental thing. Same with zombie genre. We get an unending barrage of zombie shooters but only two or three actually explore group dynamics. Making Amnesia in space and then claiming original film as inspiration is very superficial. We need a crew that interacts with the player and plays into the plot and can change the outcome of mini-arcs.

Not to mention the presence of multiple people being a source of aversion for the alien so the actual, literal isolation from your crew gets that more terrifying. What I thought of when I saw the alien in the trailer is that it must have had damaged eye sight, hearing and other senses. A lame duck.

Cinematic scripted console corridor shooter walker. Meh!

Still, far better than getting another shooter. Even better that it's purely an Alien title sans Predators or retarded Alien bosses *cough*Obsidian*cough*Alien:Crapable*cough*.

Drakron

Arcane
forced and corners the franchise into a RIPLEYS SPACE ADVENTURES WITH GIGER'S ALIEN angle.

Yep, thats a problem with IPs were they are very reluctant to come out of the comfort zone and dont create anything new.

But, it could work. Depends on how they play and tie the company into it.

As long they dont focus too much on it, yes ... they can just reference that the Nostromo vanished and then connect the ship to the Alien, this works as long they just dont entirely focus on it.

The bigger problem I find with the game is that it's lacking one crucial element that the original film had: Crew dynamics.

There are other survivors:

http://assets1.ignimgs.com/2014/01/07/ripleytaylorsamuelsverlainejpg-886505_640w.jpg

We havent seen that but I assume there will be crew dynamics as we will not be alone (I heard one talking to us in one of the videos), not surprised if we dont end up with a synthetic among those 3.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
They're continuing to show the alien all over the place. If that's how the game's gonna be, then we can safely throw all suspense out the window. Theme park with jump scares would be mighty BSB.

Gregz

Arcane

This does look promising, but it has survival adventure written all over it. No one plays those anymore because of the massive save scumming needed to get through the game. I mean, if you get in melee range of that thing just once, you are fucked.

The idea that you can sneak past it is dumb too. In the first film the only reason she got away with that was because of the klaxons and flashing lights during the countdown sequence.

Last edited:

alkeides

Arcane
Patron
This is not that bad an idea, and could work. But the pure Amnesia style survival horror will kill it.

Since there is a AAA studio behind this with resources, and since they appear to be making this game for cheap (I judge that by looking at the graphics quality) then what they should do is appeal both to the Alien 1/Survival Horror crowd, and also the Aliens/Action-Horror crowd.

They can do this by having 2 characters in the game: One is the Ripley stereotype aka her daughter. The Second character should be a Space Marine, fully decked out with gear. The play experience would be different for each. With the second, you have to deal with an alien infestation. Kind of like Resident Evil, but in space with aliens instead of zombie mutants.

Misconnected

Savant
I predict suckitude.

There's a metric fuck-ton of reasons the original film (and the sequel) works better for having a female protagonist, but none of them apply in video games. And considering the Alien is basically distilled man-rape (and quite deliberately so), having a female protagonist is utter fail.

... But I'm sure I'll play it anyway. Sucker for Xenomorphs that I am.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
They're continuing to show the alien all over the place. If that's how the game's gonna be, then we can safely throw all suspense out the window. Theme park with jump scares would be mighty BSB.

You don't get it. This game ain't about jump scares, and everyone already knows how the Alien looks like, so no damage done by showing it in all it's glory.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
This does look promising, but it has survival adventure written all over it. No one plays those anymore because of the massive save scumming needed to get through the game. I mean, if you get in melee range of that thing just once, you are fucked.

Beautiful, isn't it? Finally you have to run from the Alien, not chase it like a stupid Marine grunt.

The idea that you can sneak past it is dumb too. In the first film the only reason she got away with that was because of the klaxons and flashing lights during the countdown sequence.

It's all a matter of implementation.

You don't get it. This game ain't about jump scares, and everyone already knows how the Alien looks like, so no damage done by showing it in all it's glory.
Suspense isn't about not knowing what the foozle looks like - it's not knowing where it is and when it's gonna get you. Having it show up every 5 minutes and you avoiding death each time trivializes the danger.

The key here is creating a bug with unpredictable and irritating behaviour. If they fail at that, then you might be right.
Well, it's Creative Assembly that's programming the AI. I'm sure it'll be fine. :troll:

Nah, don't mind me sarcasming. I still want this game to turn out alright - god knows there hasn't been a decent Alien one in ages.

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
We havent seen any gameplay so why are you guys tripping so much

A video with scripted scenes doesn't mean anything.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom