Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alien: Isolation

I'm wondering if they'll finish the story in a DLC or a sequel.

Because I have a time machine, I can tell you this is the how the story ends:

ripleysdaughter.jpg

On a related note, I don't give a flying facehugger's ass about Amanda's fage. I wanna know what happened to Jonesey. Can never forgive SEGA for not putting him in the Crew Expendable dlc.

Yeah but if they let you play as Jonesey the game would be over once you tear out the alien's throat 5 minutes in. Seriously rewatch the scene where Brett gets killed - Jonesey is already in the room and the alien's initial target. Alien moves towards Jonesey, Jonesey hisses, alien BACKS THE FUCK DOWN and goes for a far less dangerous target in Brett while Jonesey, obviously the baddest motherfucker in the room, doesn't even bother to run or hide but just watches, probably thinking about how he's always wanted to eat that guy.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Humble deal seems to have ended. 25% off on Steam now.

Are the DLCs worth the price?

barker_s

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Depends on what you expect. All of them are basically challenge maps (go from point A to point B as fast as possible, complete secondary objectives for points). There's basically no story, unless you count some audio logs and data files here and there. Last Survivor and Crew Expendable might be worth it for the setting alone (Nostromo). Corporate Lockdown - only if you dig that kind of gameplay and are starved for more A:I.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
So, tl;dr, what's the KKK on this one?

Yay?

I say yay. It's not perfect, there's some cinematic QTE, but the stealth is fun and the Alien AI is one of the better game AIs i've seen in a long time. Just avoid the DLC, seems like junk or filler mostly.

If you like Survival Horror genre or are a fan of Alien franchise, this game is for you.

Sodafish

Arcane
Yeah it's worth playing. Linear, to be sure, but great sound/art design and very tense gameplay at times.

Astral Rag

Arcane
I agree with the posters above, AI is worth playing especially if you're a fan of the original movie. There is some popamole (hacking mini games, crafting, easy QTEs, button prompts,...) but it's bearable. The story is predictable and a bit drawn out but it's ok.

AI is very well made and it looks and sounds great, the attention to detail is impressive. It's also a surprisingly challenging and tasteful game. It runs very well unlike other recent "AAA" next-gen titles... It does lack proper reflections and tire textures leave a lot to be desired
:rpgcodex:

The Xenomorph is fairly unpredictable and can insta-kill you so the game manages to remain tense right until the end, there is one level that will appear in future "the most scariest levels evar" lists.
Mission 14 aka the nest *shudders*
Humans and especially androids are also pretty challenging. Droids can take multiple shots in the face before they go down.

You can't save whenever you want which is something I normally hate but it does add to the general tension in this case, save stations are not exactly rare either.

So "Yay" if you can stomach some popamole and when it's on sale. No idea if the DLC is worth playing, I will check out Last Survivor because Ellen Ripley :love:

I don't care about "Survivor Mode" DLC.

Last edited:

Heresiarch

Prophet

Yay?

I'm also wondering about the same thing. My personal horror-resistance-level is like:
- Immune to Amnesia series
- Immune to System Shock 2
- Immune to Resident Evil series
- Had some nightmares from Dark Corners of the Earth
- Creeped out by Shalebridge Cradle
- Felt very moved by Cyrostasis
- FUCKING AFRAID OF ALL SILENT HILL GAMES

And oh...I'm also never truly afraid of the first Alien movie.

So if I guess for myself, since I'm only scared of psychological horror, I would say I'll not enjoy a lot this game...will I?

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So if I guess for myself, since I'm only scared of psychological horror, I would say I'll not enjoy a lot this game...will I?

I don't know. It's not that is scary, but it's fucking tense. There are some scripted events where the Alien pops up but for the most part you are walking around not knowing if the thing is going to suddenly jump at you from a vent or around the corner. The sound design works very effectively so enhance that feeling, best sound design in a video game.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria

Yay?
Starts out slow, improves substantially and peaks in the middle. Then you start noticing that it keeps skipping perfectly good opportunities to just end while the gameplay is still good in exchange for continuing to stretch itself out because...long games are inherently better? Then the nagging problems that've popped up throughout the game: the fact that your objectives are blatantly and needlessly padded out in almost every way, the fact that avoiding the Alien is often just a crapshoot on whether or not the AI feels like letting you slip by that time or if it feels like immediately homing in on you and killing you instantly, and the fact that the story is fucking awful, becomes alot more grating.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
But I like story DLC niggers. Story DLC niggers are the best kind.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.

I don't know. It's not that is scary, but it's fucking tense. There are some scripted events where the Alien pops up but for the most part you are walking around not knowing if the thing is going to suddenly jump at you from a vent or around the corner. The sound design works very effectively so enhance that feeling, best sound design in a video game.

It's scary as in tension, yes.

Also note that this game isn't gory in the slightest.

Paul_cz

Arcane
I loved this game. Best Alien game ever. Shame about some of those idiotic design decisions and story not being better, but still, great effort. Hard difficulty + headphones + bigassTV is good, but I really cant wait to try this out with Rift next year.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Getting a bit sick of those cum-blooded, raincoat-wearing mechanical motherfuckers. Since when does a raincoat make you immune to EMP blasts?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Option #1: You can use a "purge" protocol in the server rooms to electrocute everyone in them.

Option #2: Molotov cocktails and pipebombs.

Option #3: "Nigga just walk away". :)

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
I meant the reactor core. There's about 10 of them there and a shitload of consoles to activate so you can't avoid them all. I ended up luring them away one by one and penetrating their smug faces with the bolt gun until my ammo was gone, then managed to slip by the last two. But still, you should be able to EMP them and bash their fookin heds in m8 with the wrench. Very satisfying.

Sodafish

Arcane
I meant the reactor core. There's about 10 of them there and a shitload of consoles to activate so you can't avoid them all. I ended up luring them away one by one and penetrating their smug faces with the bolt gun until my ammo was gone, then managed to slip by the last two. But still, you should be able to EMP them and bash their fookin heds in m8 with the wrench. Very satisfying.

You should have the shotgun by then too. But pipe bombs are the best for groups of those fuckers.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
You should have the shotgun by then too. But pipe bombs are the best for groups of those fuckers.
Yeah I used all the shotgun ammo going down
into the nest to overload the cores

Didn't think they'd respawn when I came back up.

Getting enough components for a pipebomb together takes ages though, haven't built many of them.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
By the time I reached the reactor the first time (Medium difficulty) I had plenty of shotgun/pistol/bolt gun ammo to clear them all out. I didn't even use molotovs/pipebombs. On the return trip I had gained a little more ammo (lots of places to search for stuff where you came from ;-) ) so I used that the best I could, and even used the flamethrower in a pinch.

Always aim for the head. Depending on your difficulty, you'll need 6 revolver shots, or 2 shotgun shells or a single bolt.

The worst part of the reactor is arriving there in the first place as it's a corridor with no way back and about 4 Working Joes wanting to "tut-tut" your ass. Once you're past that you can literally run rings around them and probably use decoys.

Last edited:

kreepr

Novice
For the normal toybots, 1 stun hit and you can melee them till they die.
The hooded ones can be killed with 1 charged bolt from close range. (these work on hard)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom