Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alien: Isolation

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Because CA (the coders) can't code their way out of a wet paper bag. A cat would be too much effort.

Consider the character models already in the game. Their state never changes. You bash in a human's skull? Blood flies everywhere and blood is splattered on the character model, but the model remains intact, the head isn't even folded at the point of impact. Same if you throw a pipebomb at a human. For some bizarre reason no limbs are blown clean off, no gaping torso wounds are produced.

Creating and coding a cat model, even though it's just a brown furbag in a pet carrier that goes "meow" on occasion, is too much for them.

Even Bethesda can make limbs explode and ladders are their kryptonite.

How shameful.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Is anyone playing the game with a gamepad? I'm wondering if the movement and leaning has more finesse with the analogue stick but the game won't detect my gamepad.
I played and finished it on gamepad (PC version on TV) and yeah it felt great. Fully analogue so you can always lean as much or as little as you want, both around corners and inside lockers, left/right/up/down/forward/backward. And even little thing like movement detector causing vibrations adds nicely to atmosphere.

Finished it on hard yesterday and loved it. I am pretty sad it is over, I want more. Wish the DLCs they make were proper new story campaigns instead of survivor maps or whatever.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Consider the character models already in the game. Their state never changes. You bash in a human's skull? Blood flies everywhere and blood is splattered on the character model, but the model remains intact, the head isn't even folded at the point of impact. Same if you throw a pipebomb at a human. For some bizarre reason no limbs are blown clean off, no gaping torso wounds are produced.
stuff like that would require extra work to censor it in germany, or get it outright banned. as it is now, it has a 16 rating, so it might be a fuckup on their part as well as deliberate.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy

stuff like that would require extra work to censor it in germany, or get it outright banned. as it is now, it has a 16 rating, so it might be a fuckup on their part as well as deliberate.

My money is on deliberate. Not due to censorship worries, but due to it being an easy and lazy solution to their ineptitude.

I don't see that it would add anything of substance to the game, though it would have been nice. If I were making the game and had plenty of resources and talent to spare, I would still think a bit about dedicating to it. I would share the frustration if this were a run&gun game but I admit, I expected more graphic detail from at least the synthetics. It's a bigger issue that facial and general animations are rather stiff.

Is anyone playing the game with a gamepad? I'm wondering if the movement and leaning has more finesse with the analogue stick but the game won't detect my gamepad.
I played and finished it on gamepad (PC version on TV) and yeah it felt great. Fully analogue so you can always lean as much or as little as you want, both around corners and inside lockers, left/right/up/down/forward/backward. And even little thing like movement detector causing vibrations adds nicely to atmosphere.

Sounds swell. I'll try to get that gamepad working and see if gamepad+mouse combo is viable.

Also, Sodafish

In other news, a rat broke into my place the other night. I was playing Alien, completely immersed and paying attention to the sounds and something goes off in the kitchen. Terrified, I check it out; one of the spice jars on the freehanging shelf has dropped onto the ceramic bowl below and chipped an edge. I reason that I must have placed it clumsily and leave disappointed about the bowl; a vivid beautiful yellow with an elegant curve. Back to the game. More, subtler sounds from the bathroom but I don't imagine it could possibly be anything serious at all.

Later, I visit the bathroom to let go of some of that adrenaline induced piss from the game and there on the window frame, a rat the size of three fists which then quickly crawled into some corner I could not see. Welcome to TheRat: Isolation, only I was the one doing the hunting even if I was terrified myself. Once ascertained that it was in the bathroom, I closed the door on it and came back often to see if it had moved to a more managable position.

At first, it was trying to go out through the barely open window which I usually leave gaping open but had earlier closed just enough for a subtle current. About 12 hours later, I managed to force it outside the way it came. Moments before the ordeal was over, as it was trying to climb back up to the window I had reopened, it took a break on the bucket and we stared at each other for a few seconds. Poor little thing was absolutely terrified, looked like its heart could burst through its chest any moment.

Romanticism and compassion aside, I now have an entire flat to disinfect of rat piss, shit and whereever it went through and whatever it bit, rubbed and salivated on as obviously, it had been inside for a while and possibly not for the first time. It explains some of the stuff getting inexplicably dropped or gone missing previously. I wonder if that small wound on my forearm was that little shit paying me a visit in my sleep. I should probably get a blood panel.

Last edited:

Machocruz

Arcane
What's this thing I'm seeing in videos where the player is flaming the alien while close and it only knocks them down, then isn't there when they get up? What's the purpose of it?

I was contemplating fapping when I saw
a segment where you suit up in those spacesuits from the movie and walk out onto LV 426
, but it didn't go anywhere interesting. Still, this game makes a hell of an impression on one's eyes and ears. Fuck, imagine a Metroid Prime game with the lighting from this one, or that overall level of visual fidelity if not the naturalistic art direction.

barker_s

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
What's this thing I'm seeing in videos where the player is flaming the alien while close and it only knocks them down, then isn't there when they get up? What's the purpose of it?

It happens when you torch the Alien while it's already too close to you to run back / change direction. It rams you, taking some of your health, but still gets scared off by the flame. Basically, the game's telling you that the next time you should start firing sooner.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron

It happens when you torch the Alien while it's already too close to you to run back / change direction. It rams you, taking some of your health, but still gets scared off by the flame. Basically, the game's telling you that the next time you should start firing sooner.

Which reminds me, that's the "other" time the Alien teleports. Only this time it's away from the player.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
In other news, a rat broke into my place the other night. I was playing Alien, .

This reminds me of the first time I watched Aliens when I was a kid. Right when the marines sealed themselves in a room and the Aliens were approaching to the door fast and Hudson was looking at the motion tracker and yelling "10 meters" etc. , my dad suddenly opened THE DOOR behind me, rather loudly. I almost fell off the couch from the shock.

They sure don't make movies like that anymore.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I did a small comparison, I installed Aliens vs Predator (2010) and tried playing that for as long as I could stomach it. Actually managed to beat the Human and Alien campaigns, but gave up about halfway through the Predator campaign.

The differences are great, for many obvious reasons, but I'm gonna go into the only one that's comparable between the two, and that's how the game portrays the Alien.

Alien: Isolation may do a lot of things wrong, but it portrays the Alien as a truly alien unstoppable stalker, which is a big plus. In AvP it's just another alien lifeform trying to kill the player. There's no fear or tension, it's just a bunch of black bugs, scuttling all around, trying to swarm the player. Yawn. The fact that you have guns only makes this worse, then it stops being a "evade the monster" attitude and becomes "stomp the monster" event. On the upside, the Smartgun is pretty cool in this game.

Playing as the Alien in AvP is nothing short of a joke. You scuttle around trying to use stealth against enemies with an AI similar to that of the humans in Alien: Isolation. The level design leaves a lot to be desired, and even though Alien: Isolation is overall a letdown, it's still miles ahead of AvP, no matter how many lines Lance Henriksen and William Hope have in it.

In other Alien-related news, I had another go at the "Corporate Lockdown" DLC in Alien: Isolation. Actually made some progress...by NOT playing as Ransome. With luck he can craft a noisemaker to distract the Alien, otherwise he has nothing to defend himself with. Ellen Ripley starts with a flamethrower which helps immensely with the dodgy opening. The first map does have all the guns, though what a flamethrower is doing in a cinema is beyond me. (Maybe the critic brought it along to flame tonight's feature film?) Speaking of the theatre, the only noticeable event of the first map takes place in there.

But Survivor mode fails overall because it is dependant upon two flawed concepts in game design: Luck and trial 'n' error. No, really. The luck part comes into play when determining what items are available in the "safehouse" room at the start as well as Alien behavior in general. The trial and error part is you exploring the map (which does NOT get mapped on the map screen BTW) and trying to figure out where to go and what to do. I have yet to find any blueprints, so crafting is less of an issue because each character only starts with one or two blueprints at the most, so ammo hunting is the big issue.

DreadMessiah

Liturgist
I hate shit games like this one. Run in fear cuz of artificial bullshit about not being able to take something down.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Is there a mod or tweak that makes the HUD toggleable? So far I only found some Cheat Engine script and I would rather avoid installing that software.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Remember those two Icelanders with their "Let's Break" channel at YouTube?

Guess what?

(Highlight: Managing to stretch Ripley's height so that she can't fit through doors.)

(Highlight: Besides repeating the Axel segment like in the video posted by Derek Larp they also manage to act so stupidly that they attract the Alien without knowing what it is.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Incline tag is well deserved on this one. It's like a mighty golden toilet, flushing away the pile of turds representing every Alien game since AVP2.

Caim

Arcane

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom