Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alien: Isolation

Siel

Arcane
Patron
Ok, I'm having quite some fun with this game. Very good sound design and atmosphere overall.

Also :

I'm at the communication access level after you hack the elevator, am I the only one who took some time to figure out how to open the upstairs door? I mean I didn't know you could open doors via the terminal...

Deleted member 7219

I'm at the communication access level after you hack the elevator, am I the only one who took some time to figure out how to open the upstairs door? I mean I didn't know you could open doors via the terminal...

Yes, it isn't immediately obvious that computers can be used to interact with the game world. Bear this in mind for future levels.

Deleted member 7219

I like a lot of the game, but some of the scripted stuff really pisses me off, like the alien always appearing in certain places no matter what you do.

Spoiler for some stuff near the end:

The alien appearing seconds after you find the chestburster victim in Medical did seem to me to be scripted. However, the rest of the game actually felt quite unscripted for me. Towards the end of the game I was heading through some tram areas and I had to restart the tram system in one of them. Trouble was, every time I restarted the tram system an alien dropped down from a grate, instantly saw me in the room, and charged in and killed me - there was nowhere for me to go, and hiding under the desks only bought me a couple of extra seconds. I was sure it was scripted, and I was scratching my head wondering why Creative Assembly would do that. On the fourth try the alien didn't drop down at all. I think it was random, and I was just unlucky for the first three tries.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
Alright so I just completed The Message.

Good grief this was heartbreaking. One of the reasons why I LOVE the Aliens Director's Cut is because of the mother/daughter bond Ripley has with Newt after she discovers Amanda died of old age, without ever knowing what happened to Ellen. The fact that the game makes Amanda listen to this message and understand what happened to her mother puts that whole scene under a new perspective entirely... Ellen doesn't know her daughter knew what happened to the Nostromo and the Narcissus. That was powerful.

Also, the hive? Scariest part of the game by far, even with the flamethrower. The motion tracker goes nuts, the place is dark as shit and there's several xenos on the loose+facehuggers. Had to stop there a while. :lol:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
For the lulz, I decided to restart the campaign on Easy, because I'm tired of the Alien and its antics. I'm gonna try to find the remaining Nostromo logs, computer messages and stuff.

Some points of this playsession:

# You can talk to Samuels and Taylor without getting dressed first. The conversation goes on as normal, except both of them end their talks on the same line that Captain Verlaine won't call us to the bridge until I get dressed.

EDIT: They both use the same exact phrase here, word by word. Someone could have used the opportunity here and injected a tiny bit of character into these persons, but instead they get copypasted responses.

# You can fire up the shower AFTER you get dressed. Surprisingly Ripley's clothes don't get wet, nor does she seem to mind being soaked.

# There are invisible walls protecting Ripley from all harm at the start. That gas rupture you see once you're onboard the Sevastopol? It's impossible to get hurt by it no matter how close you get, nor do you ever fall down into the hole it comes from.

# Likewise, the event where you fall off the makeshift "bridge" has invisible walls that PREVENT you from doing anything except fall down.

# Typical level design #01: To get the maintenance jack to open the "exit door", you need to get into the room where it is. To do that, you need to enter the vent next to it, but before you can even reach that section you must first restore power to the door outside, which means going in the OTHER direction from the exit door.

# There's a "Ion Torch Required" door in the aforementioned "Other" direction, however I can't see how to reach there once I have the Ion Torch. The tram to that section is marked as being "out of service" at that point in the game. Maybe there's another way that doesn't involve the trams?

# Just before you reach the button that allows you to restore power to the door that leads to the maintenance jack, you hear the sound of a cat. Yet there are NO cats anywhere in the game. Even Jonesy is absent from the Nostromo in the DLCs.

# For this playthrough I'm gonna try to avoid killing humans. In the human encounter where you find the woman with the tuner, sparing the humans gives you further conversations between them once you're past them.

EDIT: Uh-oh...letting them live may not have been a good idea. Now the Alien is patrolling the area, a good bit earlier than it should be doing. On the upside, it took care of my "human" problem for me and I scored some loot.

# In the segment where you encounter the Alien for the first time, you can hear it climbing into the vent BEFORE it leaves Ripley's line of sight, so no matter how fast you run to try to catch up to it, it's always gone.

# I've found the first character whose face doesn't move while talking, the Working Joe that first tells you that access to Comms is restricted.

# On that note, if Aliens is NOT considered an inspiration for this game, then how come the Working Joes are made to sound like Lance Henriksen (Bishop)?

# Just picked up the motion sensor. Talk about the game railroading you, you actually CANNOT do anything until you've pushed the button that brings up the motion sensor, you just stand there immobile until you do.

# Also, what's with the radios? Some of the sounds coming from them sound like encrypted message or somesuch, making me think of the ARG from Portal. Remember that? With the portable radios?

Last edited:

Sodafish

Arcane
Just at the bit where you first get the plasma torch. That pig fucking android that goes hostile after you power up the area :x

You hide and he pulls you out of the lockers/cupboards but you can't kill him without the alien appearing and raping you from behind due to the noise. Eh, gonna take a break from it.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Hearing pewdepie scream like a little girl when he dies makes watching him satisfying.

EDIT: I think I'll buy this game. Watched some videos and I'm sold.

Last edited:

MapMan

Arcane
Ok so I've resumed playing after some time off. Fucking medical. Changing difficulty to medium. :lol:
What the hell people. I finished the first part of the medical without dying once. I would've got the hidden achievement if I'd remove it from inventory. Am I a pro are you people stupid? Unless you have ADHD it's really easy to avoid the alien... I can literally count on a single hand how many times the alien actually "got" me, as in, I tried to avoid him and he actually caught me. Are we playing the same game? Oh and I'm obviously playing on hard.

What the hell people. I finished the first part of the medical without dying once. I would've got the hidden achievement if I'd remove it from inventory. Am I a pro are you people stupid? Unless you have ADHD it's really easy to avoid the alien... I can literally count on a single hand how many times the alien actually "got" me, as in, I tried to avoid him and he actually caught me. Are we playing the same game? Oh and I'm obviously playing on hard.

Me playing on Hard after reaching first savepoint after first appearance of Alien - I throw a noisemaker into opposite direction from where I'm supposed to go, then sneak past to the door with a keypad and as soon as I'm there he's right behind me, no time to run hide anywhere. I tried going around different sides to do it, whenever it seemed like it fucked off far enough, no luck, as soon as I start moving towards my goal he's right behind me. Then I decide to hide under the table and wait him out, maybe he'll fuck off back into vents.. and after several minutes he does, I hear the sound of him going into vents. Relieved I start to progress, always crouched, but as soon as I sneak few meters and start turning a corner towards my destination I hear a sound of him coming out again. I immediately turn back and sneak back to my hiding place, waiting couple more minutes. There goes the sound of him fucking off to vents again! I try to progress again only for him to come out the same way, at the same fucking place I was when he came out previously. Curious to see what happens I repeat the same process, and I get the exact same result. For a game that's supposedly unscripted in this department it sure seemed a bit obnoxious to do this to me. I eventually settled for Medium difficulty and things seem a lot more fair with tension still present. I'm gonna keep it like this until I understand how the game works better, find a nice list with properly explained sneaking mechanics somewhere or they just patch Hard difficulty into something that makes more sense.

tl;dr: We're all a bunch of faggot retards and you're awesome.

Last edited:
Not sure if this have been mentioned yet but I've just confirmed that Alien hears your motion detector beeps on Medium too, not just Hard.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I just finished that section of Medical on Easy...when it appeared I ducked into the vents underneath and hid there until I could hear it in the vents. I crawl out, it drops down from the vents and immediately starts chasing me. I couldn't find out whether flashbangs do anything against it.

The second run worked, though. I was making my way through the vent between Cold Storage and Dr. Lingard's office, when the "stomping in vents" sound turned into "stomping", without the "dropping from vents" sound being played...so I wondered "Are these vents connected to the Alien's vents?" Just as I finish thinking that the Alien head clips through the wall as I'm climbing up the ladder in the vent. Fortunately it didn't see me and I got through.

EDIT: To be honest, after the Engineering section I pretty much stopped using the Motion Sensor. I knew that if it would show up, I would be able to scare it off. My ears (and headphones) served me well.

MapMan

Arcane
Are you utilizing the rewiring stations? They can be a great distraction. Other than that I don't use any gadgets like the noise maker. My tactis are really, really simple. Hide in a closet, wait for the alien to go somewhere else (I'm not talking about going into the vents) and move on, ALWAYS CROUCHED, move to another room or location, wherever you can hide. To determine if it's safe to go I use the motion detector and sound. If alien is further than 60-70 meters (are those meters?) away it should be safe to go, sometimes he disappears from the beeper completely (which means he's over 99 meters away) so thats a green light too. Sometimes crouching behind a table or under the desk is enough, sometimes you have to hide in closets. Sometimes when I left a closet and started advancing I could hear (or see on the beeper) the alien approaching fast, so yeah, then you have to back up into the closet and try again. I dunno, it was all I did until now (I'm in marshals HQ).

Last edited:

Sodafish

Arcane
Ok so I've resumed playing after some time off. Fucking medical. Changing difficulty to medium. :lol:

It was luck then. The alien does just teleport around, and if he happens to jump down from the vent at the wrong moment you're screwed and there is literally nothing you can do if you don't have the flamer.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
So yeah, the game's got pacing problems.
Just got into the hive, and I'm really not that impressed so far. The designers decided to have the mandatory 'jettison the alien into space' moment an hour and a half earlier, but the problem is that it's pretty goddamn obvious that I'm nowhere near the end of the game, and they aren't gonna have the endgame consist of playing grab-ass with Working Joes, so the following hour and a half of gameplay is spent hyping up a reveal that I knew the moment I got back on the station. That whole jettison bit honestly should've been put later in the game, possibly even use it as the finale instead, not as a blatant mid-game fake out. It doesn't help that this entire section isn't particularly interesting, as Working Joes are the only thing that pose a threat, and I've been stockpiling on molotovs and pipe-bombs (not to mention this is the section where you're given a shotgun, which can one-shot a Working Joe), and wasn't scared of them even when I didn't have any.
The hive isn't particularly interesting either. It's just the same old hive section that's been in every alien game for the past 20 years, I don't really think that differently of it now that the Alien can kill me in 1 hit.

Also found Samuels' death abrupt and kinda half-assed. Guy didn't even get a cutscene for his death scene, pretty sure I didn't even see his mouth moved when he talked.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Now a game comes out that is deliberately old school in how it encourages stealth over action, and patience over speedrunning, with a lengthy single player experience, and you have some game journalists say it is too long. That, for me, sums up what is wrong with game journalists these days.

Depends of game, mechanics and pacing, if you turn COD on a 10 hours campaign, it won't work. The people that complained of the lengh mentioned the game employs alot of fetch quests to pad the lenght and the story kinda fizzles out by half of the game and you become miss repairwoman. Man, I hate that shit.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Also found XXX' death abrupt and kinda half-assed. Guy didn't even get a cutscene for his death scene, pretty sure I didn't even see his mouth moved when he talked.

You're right, it didn't. I've been keeping tabs on this in my second playthrough, and only the important talks early in the game have lipsyncs. Marhall Waits and Marlow move their lips, but everyone else in the Marhall's office doesn't. I'm pretty certain Ricardo will never move his lips again from this point onward.

It's as if...wait for it...they didn't have enough time to do them all.

AS IF THE GAME IS RUSHED AND RELEASED IN AN UNFINISHED STATE.

Which it is. Kudos for getting as much done as they did, but from the moment the Gemini Labs section ends the game nosedives into utter drivel and bullshit. Graphical glitches become more prominent, QTEs become more relevant, level design becomes pathetically bad and the story redefines the word "silly". The game is pretty good and holds its own against other AAA titles up 'till that point, but beyond it the faults become too apparent - CA just ran out of time. The game needed at least 6 more months in development, playtesting, feedback and proofreading. Maybe then the story didn't have to be stretched out so badly that a DLC would be needed to apply the final round of spit and polish.

I think the call on this game is pretty clear: Better than Colonial Marines, but it's still a poor Alien(s) game that showed so much promise.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
As for the question of length, I generally think that a horror game should try to keep to a short-to-average length (i.e. around 7-10 hours) if the gameplay is relatively simple. Any longer than that and you run the serious risk of player burnout, not to mention the simple fact that most survival games tend to have simple or intentionally clunky gameplay mechanics, so you can only keep it fresh for so long before you have to resort to cheap gimmicks, rehashing ideas, or padding it out with fetch quests.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom