Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alien: Isolation

Luzur

Good Sir
well i watched my friends GF play this game on her computer earlier today, and well... it looked kinda derp to me.

one part though was cool, and that was the android part with "this need my attention" murder-droids walking around (dunno why they would be hostile to humans and not the alien?) and she only had some wrench to beat them with.

then she was in a hospital part after finding some actual alive humans for once and was stuck inside a patient room due to the alien patrolling the door over and over and over *thump'thump'thump* until it finally entered the room and found her with insta-death scene as the result and the GF swearing about unfair gaming AI.

to me, the whole game would have been more rad if it was only about the droids gone crazy and killed everyone, then about some alien you cant kill apparently (read a comment on youtube about some guy showing how dumb the alien ai was by standing by the same vent flamethrowing the alien in and out like some whacka-mole game, alien pop out, he flame it, it slinks back into vent, he waits for 3 seconds, alien pop out, he flames it, it slinks back etc etc) which sounds like the usual plot armor villain trope to me.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Just played like the first 40 minutes for this, haven't played enough to have any impressions so far but just wanted to say that the game runs like a dream. The game set everything to Ultra at the start, figured it would explode but whatever, let's try it and downgrade from there, but it actually runs perfectly on a fairly low end PC. It's hard to see good PC optimization these days but the devs here have nailed it, kudos.

potatojohn

Arcane
Well I watched the giantbomb quicklook and scanned this thread to find generally good impressions so I downloaded it,

Turns out this game is worthless though.

First of all I get crazy amount of tearing no matter how I set up vsync, the graphics just look fucking fuzzy as hell, antialiasing settings don't really help with the aliasing, the level design is shit, the color palette is lazy (lots of orange/blue. how original), the UI is bad, the prompts are immersion breaking, there's retarded loot glow. I could go on

Starwars

Arcane
This game kinda sucks but yeah, visually it looks really good (except for weird looking humans) and is *extremely* well-optimized.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Yeah, It's actually kind of shocking how nearly every single white dude in the game has the exact same short-trim haircut, including major characters, while nearly all the dead guys have the same long hair style. Makes this weird juxtaposition where the environments are a real treat for the eyes, yet there wasn't as much attention paid to the NPCs you come across fairly frequently.

Guess in space, even aliens hate hippies.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
17 hours aaaaand I'm done! Took quite alot less hours to finish than I anticipated, but maybe I was rushing through some parts, because I just wanted it to be over (on the account of being too scared) ;)

I missed a bit of the Nostromo logbooks... have any of you found them all?

I would love a video or text transcript of all the audio logs from the nostromo. It's gold for alien nut fans like me to dig into.

The game is really good, and I liked the ending too, not very QTE like at all imo.

I had virtually zero problems, and almost none irritating things, moments, bugs and other things. Overall a smooth experience for me.

Onwards to the DLC, Lone Survivor and Crew Expendable!

Evil Within is out tomorrow, just in time to get started on that, although I feel this game is much better than the Evil Within in every way.. So I'm gonna pirate that.

I hope everybody had a blast playing Alien Isolation!

Nael

Arcane
I've noticed the alien doesn't give two shits about androids. One could argue it is only interested in organics, but the Alien Queen did cut Bishop in half in Aliens. I was trapped in a room with an android coming at me, the alien dropped down behind him, ignored the android and came right at me.

The Queen xeno doesn't rely on instinct as much as the drones/warriors and is much more intelligent. She understood Bishop's significance and probably did it as a way of saying "Hello biatch!" to Ripley. The drones/warrior xenos's only reason to attack a synthetic would be if it got in their way or tried to attack them.

Vibalist

Arcane
Someone explain this to me:

If almost every human has been dragged down into the nest and facehugged, how come the station is not absolutely overrun with aliens? How come there's only one (or a few at best) skulking around? Am I missing some explanation here?

Also
I think having lots of Aliens at the end really cheapened the experience. They're just not as scary when there are so many. The whole egg chamber thing felt like fan service.

Angthoron

Arcane
I think this hasn't been mentioned - the FoV slider is amusing in this game. Maxed out, it's 47 degrees, but when you lower it, the FoV actually increases, with the minimum being 75. That's some backwards logic there.

Of course, if you have an FoV of 75, Ripley loses her legs. Not even kidding.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
So yeah, been playing a bit further in, and a few more comments here and there:

I'm starting to see what Unkillable Cat was talking about; there are times where it really feels as though the game's been padded out to add more length. It's mostly little bits and pieces (i.e. the keycard to the med-bay is in a safe that's right next to the computer with the passcode, which is in an office adjacent to the door the key unlocks), but other times it's just shameless. I'll just use one example: At one point in the game you have to repair an elevator. The elevator needs a compression cylinder. You learn from the banter of hostile humans that a Working Joe in storage might be able to show you where to find one. You get into storage, find the power's been cut. You run to the power room on the second floor, you need a level 2 hacking thing to reactivate power. You go back down the ladder, back in the storage bay, run to the other side of the storage bay, find the level 2 hacking device in a little office in there, run back to the entrance, go back up the ladder, back in to the power room, hack the console, get power back on, go back down the ladder, back into the storage room, activate android, and he tells me where the compression cylinder is and unlocks the door to the other storage room for me. At no point during this entire segment does the alien attack unless you start running around alot and make alot of noise.

The kicker? Right next to the power room is an office that also has a level 2 lock, and inside there is a terminal which tells you exactly where the cylinder is. So at that point the only reason you need the android is essentially because the door is locked for arbitrary reasons.

You could easily cut out at least 5 minutes of what basically just amounts to busywork and the infuriating dilemma of having to follow an npc who's default speed is slightly slower than yours, so you always find yourself having to stop and let them catch up, by just cutting the android part out altogether and just having either the door locked due to a power outage (that can be fixed by reactivating it on the second floor), or having the terminal also have the code to unlock the door.

It's not really filled with moments like this, but it's common enough to be noticeable.

In regards to the Alien's AI behaviour. I'm finding that there are certain segments in the game where the alien will absolutely never come out of the vents unless the player makes alot of noise for whatever reason (whether it be firing a gun, blowing something up, or just running around). Though this leads to the player resorting to crouch-walking everywhere constantly from fear of attracting the alien and having to redo an entire segment, which once again makes the game feel alot longer than it really should.

So far, I've found precisely two moments where the game just plain fucked me:

1. Heard the alien come out of a vent in a hallway near a room I was in, crouch walked to the locker and hid inside. Alien comes in around 10 seconds later, looks around the room (never comes to investigate the locker), for a bit, then went out of sight and appeared to lave. A few seconds later it just jerked itself back into view with no warning, ripped my locker door off, and killed me instantly. I don't know if this was an intentional behavioural pattern (i.e. this is one of the routines the AI goes through to 'toy' with the player), but it still left me extremely annoyed since I now had to re-do the entire section because the game just felt like fucking me.

2. This was directly after I found the compression cylinder in storage. It comes out of one of the vents near storage entrance, and I hide behind a couple crates in the middle of the room. Following 2 minutes of it trailing around and around the boxes as I keep circling them to keep out of sight, it just gives up and goes back into the vent. Since this place is right next to the door, I just crouch walk out. This takes, tops, 5 seconds to do, and the moment I'm in the hallway, the alien is there (from the side leading to the elevator, not android storage), and kills me instantly. There is no vent in that hallway, I did not hear the alien come out of any vent, and even if it did get out of a vent that I somehow didn't notice in the pure-white 70's-chic padded walls, it didn't have nearly enough time to get from one vent to another so goddamn quickly.

Siel

Arcane
Patron
Ok downloading the game right now.
I don't really like scary games (maybe except games like Thief, SS2 or Silent Hills). Is there jumpscares a la Amnesia? Because I hated this shit.
Also will my GTX 580 be okay if I try to run it on high settings?

Deleted member 7219

Finished the main campaign. Clocked in at 17 hours.

First off, the length. Felt right to me. It is funny, go back 20 years and you'd expect between 15 and 20 hours at least for a single player campaign. Then 10 years ago they started making campaigns that lasted 10 hours, and I remember game journalists complained about it. Then Modern Warfare 2, or 3 (can't remember which one) came out with a 5 hour campaign. Journalists went even crazier.

Now a game comes out that is deliberately old school in how it encourages stealth over action, and patience over speedrunning, with a lengthy single player experience, and you have some game journalists say it is too long. That, for me, sums up what is wrong with game journalists these days.

Now, back to the game. The visual design is fantastic, the sound design even more - a mixture of the music and the ambience did a great job conveying a sense of atmosphere. I enjoyed the story for the most part, although certain sections did seem to be a complete rip off of certain scenes in the film - not just inspired, but straight forward copied and made to adjust to the change in setting.

Performance was silky smooth. I'm not running a modern rig. I'm on a Core 2 Quad 9660 clocked at 3.0ghz, GeForce 560TI with 3GB RAM, and 8GB memory. My graphics card is the best of its class, but it is a couple of iterations behind the latest and some games scream bloody murder at that. Alien: Isolation didn't, it set all my settings to max as soon as I launched the game and all I had to change was the DOF and motion blur (I despise both, and always disable them).

Gameplay was pretty good for the most part. I left a few logs, ID tags and Nostromo Logs behind because I felt a constant urge to move forward - I think that is to the game's credit. It isn't like the Assassin's Creed games where there are so many distractions, it is easy to lose interest in the main plot. Everything is about the tension and the drive to survive in this game.

In conclusion, superb game, one of the best I've played this year, can't wait to play again on hard but I think I'll give it a while. I missed a few logs and it would be nice to collect the whole set, just to gain the full picture of what happened on Sevastopol. I will get started on the DLC as it comes, though.

Now, spoilers:

Didn't appreciate the cliffhanger ending. I'm guessing everyone on the ship is dead, so who is shining the light on Ripley at the end? A Weyland-Yutani vessel? I really like the idea of more but they'll need to change things to keep it fresh, I'm not so interested in playing another game where I'm hiding from the alien. I think once was enough.

I was a bit disappointed with the hive too. I quite liked the idea of there just being the one alien. Having a hive there, with eggs and the works, begs the question - where is the Queen? As soon as I saw the hive I thought, there has to be a queen. Still, it was nice to see facehuggers. They really are creepy.

I got the impression that much of the station was overrun. After finding out that there are multiple aliens, things started to make sense - like going from one side of the station to the other, and the alien magically knowing where you've gone. If there is more than one alien, that makes sense. You leave one behind and encounter a different one.

Remember Aliens, when they first go into the colony there's nothing there at all. Everything is dead quiet. The aliens are all off guarding the hive.

The station is meant to be utterly massive - during your spacewalks you see just how big it is. I think there's a lot of areas that we didn't get to explore. A lot of the habitation deck, for example. But yeah, I do think introducing the hive did change the game a little bit for the worse. I think they needed more than one alien, definitely, but they could have had that by having multiple people facehugged on LV-426.

Last edited by a moderator:

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
Matt7895

Scott's Aliens don't need a Queen to breed eggs. The concept of the Queen was Cameron's idea and Alien: Isolation is based on Alien. The Hive area is a direct shout-out to this scene in the Director's Cut of Alien (which is inferior to the theatrical cut imo).

Deleted member 7219

Ok downloading the game right now.
I don't really like scary games (maybe except games like Thief, SS2 or Silent Hills). Is there jumpscares a la Amnesia? Because I hated this shit.
Also will my GTX 580 be okay if I try to run it on high settings?

There aren't many jump scares. The alien doesn't jump up and say boo. You tend to hear it coming and it is more about the atmosphere and creeping tension.

I didn't get that far into Amnesia so I don't remember any jump scares in that game, but I know of what you mean.

Matt7895

Scott's Aliens don't need a Queen to breed eggs. The concept of the Queen was Cameron's idea and Alien: Isolation is based on Alien. The Hive area is a direct shout-out to this scene in the Director's Cut of Alien (which is inferior to the theatrical cut imo).

I get that Alien: Isolation is based on Alien, but in the title screen there are copyrights for Aliens and Alien 3 - so they licensed those films too. I took this to mean that Alien: Isolation existed in that shared universe. Also, Weyland-Yutani was really expanded in Aliens and didn't have much of a role in the first film: http://alienanthology.wikia.com/wiki/Weyland-Yutani#Behind_the_Scenes so I think they were borrowing a lot from Aliens lore.

But ok, if it was just the normal aliens that were making new facehugger eggs, how did they do this? They don't look like they are capable of doing that. I think that was one of the reasons why Scott cut the section out of the first film.

Vibalist

Arcane
Now, spoilers:

I got the impression that much of the station was overrun. After finding out that there are multiple aliens, things started to make sense - like going from one side of the station to the other, and the alien magically knowing where you've gone. If there is more than one alien, that makes sense. You leave one behind and encounter a different one.

But still? If there are Aliens at every part of the station, what are the odds that you don't, at any point whatsoever, run into more than one at a time? The whole hive thing feels like something they shoehorned in later.

Remember Aliens, when they first go into the colony there's nothing there at all. Everything is dead quiet. The aliens are all off guarding the hive.

I guess it makes sense if they're guarding the hive, but it still feels sort of tacked on. It feels like they initially set out to mimic/pay homage to the first Alien but then went "hey, let's squeeze in some fanservice for fans of Aliens too! Twice the amount of fan service means twice the amount of awesomeness, right?" There's absolutely nothing that indicates the presence of more than one Alien in the entire game before you find the hive. Nothing.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
To me the hive section is where they jump the shark. Ridley Scott left that extra scene out of the theatrical cut because it closes the lifecycle for the Alien, leaving no room for further development. Having multiple Aliens and the presence of eggs/facehuggers could just as easily have been explained by Marlow and his crew managing to recover lots of eggs or so from the derelict, fully contained (mostly by luck and sense), smuggled onboard the Sevastopol and then containment fails with predictable results. You could say that they were working for Ransome (as he was digging into 15-year old Sevastopol logs to try to learn about the Nostromo) and were hoping to become stupdily rich by bringing this new and unknown lifeform to the market. They could use this opportunity to explain where exactly the Anesidora found the Nostromo flight recorder. Considering the size of the blast of the ship I find it highly doubtful that a little black box (OK, red box) would survive such a blast, so either the ship's automated systems jettisoned the flight recorder off into somewhere (which doesn't really make sense) or the flight recorder was aboard the Narcissus shuttle.

Speaking of Ransome - if there is one location that could be added in a DLC it would be the executive suite where Ransome has fortified himself on Sevastopol.

Deleted member 7219

To me the hive section is where they jump the shark. Ridley Scott left that extra scene out of the theatrical cut because it closes the lifecycle for the Alien, leaving no room for further development. Having multiple Aliens and the presence of eggs/facehuggers could just as easily have been explained by Marlow and his crew managing to recover lots of eggs or so from the derelict, fully contained (mostly by luck and sense), smuggled onboard the Sevastopol and then containment fails with predictable results. You could say that they were working for Ransome (as he was digging into 15-year old Sevastopol logs to try to learn about the Nostromo) and were hoping to become stupdily rich by bringing this new and unknown lifeform to the market. They could use this opportunity to explain where exactly the Anesidora found the Nostromo flight recorder. Considering the size of the blast of the ship I find it highly doubtful that a little black box (OK, red box) would survive such a blast, so either the ship's automated systems jettisoned the flight recorder off into somewhere (which doesn't really make sense) or the flight recorder was aboard the Narcissus shuttle.

Speaking of Ransome - if there is one location that could be added in a DLC it would be the executive suite where Ransome has fortified himself on Sevastopol.

Judging from your earlier summary post, I thought you weren't a fan of the story at all.

I feel a bit behind on the situation re: Nostromo to be honest.

So, we had a flight recorder - which was corrupted, data couldn't be accessed.

We had the Nostromo logs, which were transmitted to Sevastapol by Dallas before the crew of the Nostromo investigated the distress signal on LV-426.

We had Ellen Ripley's message to her daughter Amanda, where she explains that she had to blow up the ship.

I assumed when playing that the flight recorder was bogus - a fake. As you say, a physical recorder could not have been jettisoned and survived the explosion, unless of course it was left on LV-426. But then it would only contain the information up to that point (I can't remember how much the people in Alien: Isolation know about what happened to the Nostromo).

I also assumed that Ripley's message was beamed to Sevastapol or intercepted by the Isidura (sp?) just like the logs were.

But yeah, I'm unclear on a few points myself.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I am not a fan of story of Alien: Isolation at all. It starts out promising but quickly degenerates into predictable slush.

IIRC the sequence of events was this:

The Anesidora, a salvage vessel, recovers the flight recorder. It is never explained where or how they do so.

Captain Marlow, knowing that he could become rich by recovering the Nostromo wreck, decides to violate protocol and accesses the flight recorder data and extrapolate its last known position.

This empties the flight recorder of all data, and the data is now stored only on the Anesidora computers.

The Anesidora finds LV-426, we know what happened there.

(While on LV-426 they disable the distress beacon, which was the only loose plot point between the Alien and Aliens films.)

Once the facehugger detaches and dies from Foster, Captain Marlow places her in hypersleep to prevent and contain any possible contagion.

The Anesidora travels to Sevastopol to try to get medical attention for Foster, using the (now empty) flight recorder as leverage to gain access.

Foster dies on the operating table in San Cristobal Medical Facility as the chestburster makes its grand entrance.

The Sevastopol now has one hell of a pest problem. Cue opening titles.

As for the Nostromo logs - the ones I found didn't add anything new or interesting to the game or story, they're just there as fanboy pandering and another collectible put in to "enhance gameplay".

(The audio recordings in the two Nostromo DLCs are even worse, as they're more "stream of thought" excerpts than any kind of sensible journal entry. Why on Earth would Ash mention anywhere that he was following a Special Order to bring back the lifeform?)

Last edited:

Notorious

Augur
Finished the game after 17ish hours on "hard". I really liked the game though it gets weaker along the way (With the last mission probably being the worst)

Found out how the alien AI works pretty soon though there seems to be a random element to it. There are generally two states.

1.) In the aircrafts. It only comes out if you're too loud or through bs scripting. It fucks off after some time. (Though it trys to trick you by leaving an reappearing almost instantly)
2.) Always in close proximity. It never leaves. You need to distract it. As long as you have a flamethrower it's easy mode but once you run out you need to be clever. Medical was the hardest part for me because there was no flamethrower.

Sometimes I would hide and literally stand up from my computer and leave and come back later. I never used the hold breath mechanic because I forgot it. Didn't matter, just hide at places which are difficult to reach.

Graphics and sound are perfect. Please give the art designers a raise. Its the best part of the game.

Also there is surprisingly little bs in the game. You know... for a game.

With the breeding chamber being the worst.

It's the best movie adaptation to date coming almost 40 years after.

Pros/Neutrals/Cons

Pros
Environment/Music
Working joe (Only semi innovative element of the game as an addition to the universe.)
Alien (On hard genuinely scary without having to cheat. Yes aliens should notice things humans don't.)
Items (I liked the variety. Some are useless but most helped a lot.)
You play a wimp. As you should.

Neutral
Length. (It's mostly fine but it desperately needed new elements for the last 4 hours.)
Good android. (Bad AI was a cliche back in the day. Now you expect them to be good. Don't know how they could have made him more interesting... so neutral.)
Characters. (Should have more interaction)
Having to sit around doing nothing. (Don't know how they could have improved that part either.)

Bad
Linearity. I expected it of course but that doesn't make it any better.
Plot. (Evil company lol)
Alien being always around you (Ohh look. It comes close by my locker where I hid. How scary.)
Some script sequences. (The alien spawned. Better hide for 5 minutes....)
The last level. Just bad. The ending didn't help.

Overall
It's way better than I expected. Had fun with it.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
It never leaves. You need to distract it. As long as you have a flamethrower it's easy mode but once you run out you need to be clever. Medical was the hardest part for me because there was no flamethrower.

Several of the game's achievements are hidden, and when I completed the game only 3 of those were left, so I went and checked what they were.

One is to complete the first half of the medcial section without dying once (Good luck with that.)
Another is to be killed 100 times by the Alien (I'm surprised I wasn't killed that often.)
The final one? Complete the entire campaign without getting killed once. (Yeeaaahhhh...not gonna happen.)

MapMan

Arcane
People complain about low-res textures in this game? I thought they were rather good. So good in fact that...
pfEVtwx.png

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom