Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alien: Isolation

Ebonsword

Arcane
Jonesy DLC:

For $5.99, play as Jonesy the Cat. Run around Nostromos. Disrupt the crew's motion detector for fun. Create jump scares for the crew. Lure Brett to his certain death.

So, kind of like a AAA version of Catlateral Damage?

Alien 3... the egg... consistency

Something we would never find out to happen aboard a ship owned (and also initially sent over) by the very company with an interest in the xeno life form during the cryosleep of the remaining crew on the way back...
I don't see a problem there. It adds value as it breathes some of that mystery and the unknown from Alien back into the series. The problem is the one pivotal scene for that to work absolute wonders was handled poorly:

R: Was there an alien on board?
B: Yes.
R: Is it still on the Sulaco or did it come with us on the EEV?
B: It was with us all the way.
R: Does the company know?
B: The company knows everything that happened on the ship. It all
goes into the computer and gets sent back to the network.

The key lines that could mean so many things. It is the point at which the act of seeking for the one rational explanation to overrule all others becomes the singlemost irrational act in itself as all the factors would have always worked against Ripley & co regardless once that scene took place.

Alas, they chose to bore the rest of that scene in unnecessary sentimentality with an android rather than building and brooding on it.

Ironically, that was also one of the stronger scenes in setting the overall air of despair and isolation for entire the film.

As for Aliens, the best thing that could be said for it, is setting a visual identitiy by building and expanding over Alien, imo. Alien 3 was rather weak there with its overreliance on the rugged industrial environment for the lack of a true visual lead or budget, though it still managed to be haunting.

Last edited:

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Slightly OT:
http://www.dsogaming.com/news/rebel...appen-would-love-to-return-to-this-franchise/

“We had a lot of fun playing with people’s minds on the original game by randomising spawn positions so what was a health pack turned out to be an Alien on your next play through. So personally I’d love to see an AvP game with fully procedurally generated levels, where you literally never know what’s around the next corner.”

You had your chance to do that with AvP2010, and you fucked it up. Why should you get another chance, Rebellion?

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Lee himself is a dubious character. Wasn't he once a CIA agent?

Fuck that creep.

Ignored Morgoth

"He's is 6'5" tall world champion fencer, speaks six languages, does all of his own stunts, has participated in more on-screen sword fights than any actor in history, served for five years defending democracy from global fascism as a British Commando blowing the shit out of Nazi asses in World War II, and became the oldest person to ever record lead vocals on a heavy metal track when, at the age of 88, he wrote, performed on, and released a progressive symphonic power metal EP about the life of Charlemagne (because why the fuck not?)."

:salute:

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
Also Ian Fleming was his step-cousin. What an awesome guy 92 years old atm.

Also the main villain in the Man with the golden gun.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
Slightly OT:
http://www.dsogaming.com/news/rebel...appen-would-love-to-return-to-this-franchise/

“We had a lot of fun playing with people’s minds on the original game by randomising spawn positions so what was a health pack turned out to be an Alien on your next play through. So personally I’d love to see an AvP game with fully procedurally generated levels, where you literally never know what’s around the next corner.”

You had your chance to do that with AvP2010, and you fucked it up. Why should you get another chance, Rebellion?

No they didn't. AVP2010's marine campaign is properly scary as fuck, especially if you play on higher difficulties. Try nightmare difficulty.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
AVP2010's marine campaign was actually the only one I didn't find scary, oddly enough. I never finished either the first or second game's marine campaigns, but AvP2010 was a breeze.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
AVP2010's marine campaign was actually the only one I didn't find scary, oddly enough. I never finished either the first or second game's marine campaigns, but AvP2010 was a breeze.

Probably not "scary" as in psychologically disturbing like Alien the movie. But certainly challenging, if you play on hard or nightmare difficulties. TBH I don't know in this day and age how anyone can make a space-marine-vs-giant-bugs game and make it truly scary, considering that everyone is as familiar with the xeno as a kitty. AVP2010 marine campaign is at least true to the survival horror root. Other than the ability to meleeing an alien, I find nothing else that it has done wrong.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
Slow sluggish console-popamole controls with narrow console-popamole leveldesign and popamole AI and popamole everything, for starters.

Slow sluggish console-popamole controls --- Did you see them marines in Cameron's movie run like they're in Quake?

narrow console-popamole leveldesign --- Did you see big open environments in Cameron's movie?

popamole AI --- Did you see xenos do anything other than zerg rush in Cameron's movie other than cutting the power?

Also, play that game on hard and above difficulties and then tell me whether it's you popping the mole or the moles popping you.

Psquit

Arcane
i spend alot of my childhood playing that game... but i loved avp2 story a bit more.

Lee himself is a dubious character. Wasn't he once a CIA agent?

Fuck that creep.

Ignored Morgoth

"He's is 6'5" tall world champion fencer, speaks six languages, does all of his own stunts, has participated in more on-screen sword fights than any actor in history, served for five years defending democracy from global fascism as a British Commando blowing the shit out of Nazi asses in World War II, and became the oldest person to ever record lead vocals on a heavy metal track when, at the age of 88, he wrote, performed on, and released a progressive symphonic power metal EP about the life of Charlemagne (because why the fuck not?)."

If you count military qualifications as an area of expertise, the guy is a polymath (world-class expertise in at least 3 disciplines - the most of any recorded individual is 5).

Speaking of metal and polymath, the singer from Iron Maiden is one of the few living polymath: singing/music, aviation and fencing. There seems to be something about 70s/80s metal singers and fencing. I guess there's only so many songs you can sing about epic sword battles between angels and demons before you start thinking 'I wonder how I'd go in a swordfight?'

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Cameron's "movie" aside, there is no justification for bullshit popamole gameplay that exists only because consoles have inferior controls for this type of games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom