Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alien: Isolation

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
https://www.alienisolation.com

http://kotaku.com/source-the-next-aliens-game-stars-ellen-ripleys-daugh-1449318113

The next video game in the world of Aliens will star the daughter of superstar space officer Ellen Ripley, according to a Kotaku source.

The game is called Alien: Isolation, and we hear it will be on both current- and next-gen consoles next year. Isolation is developed by the British studio Creative Assembly (Total War); it's a first-person shooter that uses both stealth and horror elements; and it's inspired by games like Dishonored and Bioshock, according to our source, a person familiar with goings-on at Sega, who spoke under condition of anonymity in the interest of protecting their job.

Perhaps most importantly, our source says that Sega took the critical reception to Aliens: Colonial Marines very seriously, and that the publisher put together a postmortem following the near-unanimously negative reactions to their last Aliens game, which was developed by the studios Gearbox and TimeGate. They want to make sure Isolation is a better game, and according to our source, it's already been delayed at least once—Sega originally planned to announce the game at E3 of 2013.

I first heard about Alien: Isolation this spring, not long after reporting on the disastrous story of Colonial Marines. I couldn't confirm what I'd heard, and I figured that with the game early in development, some of these details would be fluid, so I sat on the info.

But today, news came out that Sega has trademarked the name Alien: Isolation. With the title corroborated, I feel comfortable sharing everything I've heard.

According to our source, the protagonist of Alien: Isolation is Amanda Ripley, daughter of Ellen Ripley, the character that made Sigourney Weaver famous and kicked off the ubiquitous sci-fi franchise over 30 years ago. Amanda, who is mentioned in the special edition of Aliens as having died while Ellen was frozen in space, has not yet been the focus of any books, movies, or games in the Alien extended universe.

You, as Amanda, spend most if not all of the game on a single space station, according to our source. There's only one alien for "most" of the game, our source said; you'll mostly be shooting through "clones and soldiers." Vents, lockers, and melee weapons are a big part of Isolation, our source said, and the game is heavily inspired by the first Alien movie.

Keep in mind much of this information is from six months ago; details may have changed over the course of development, as they sometimes do. However, our source re-confirmed many of these details today.

In 2011, Sega announced that Creative Assembly was working on an Alien game, but details have been sparse. Creative Assembly's most recent game, Total War: Rome II, was quite buggy at launch, but Luke revisited the game last week and gave it a positive review.

Sega declined to comment for this story.

Inspired by Dishonored and Bioshock?

Interested.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Btw I also thought the PS1 Alien Resurrection game had tons of potential, if it wasn't for the botched controls and difficulty.

But I'm so glad that a) It's not another Cameron-esque Aliens Marine wank-fest and b) not developed by Kwan cowboy developer.

This has potential.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Is that daughter the old lady that died of old age that is mentioned at the beginning of the second movie ? Oh wow, if so, I just hope the game tells you about how she really died and you actually control whole game long a lady in her 80s. That would have made A:CM SO MUCH BETTER.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Shit, as if Colonial Marines wasn't bad enough in the continuity rape.

I'm calling it now, her mom will save her in this game. Somehow. Count on it. And how that will be possible will not be explained.

DeepOcean

Arcane
It soundlike an improvement. Let's see if Sega's quest of aping every popamole in the Market and failing terribly at it will have a good ending.

Catweasel

Novice
It won't be hard to be better than Colonial Marines, but that's such a low bar I can't get interested yet.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
According to our source, the protagonist of Alien: Isolation is Amanda Ripley, daughter of Ellen Ripley, the character that made Sigourney Weaver famous and kicked off the ubiquitous sci-fi franchise over 30 years ago. Amanda, who is mentioned in the special edition of Aliens as having died while Ellen was frozen in space, has not yet been the focus of any books, movies, or games in the Alien extended universe.

You, as Amanda, spend most if not all of the game on a single space station, according to our source. There's only one alien for "most" of the game, our source said; you'll mostly be shooting through "clones and soldiers." Vents, lockers, and melee weapons are a big part of Isolation, our source said, and the game is heavily inspired by the first Alien movie.

This is just retarded. Maybe in some other game they'll make Ripley's cat a protagonist. What happened to him, BTW? We still don't know :troll:

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Well, it's not being developed by Gearbox, so that's automatic incline.

I am, however, not very optimistic. It's one thing to claim to be inspired by games like Dishonored and Bioshock, but another thing entirely to make a game where that inspiration actually results in a good game. They might just mean you can sneak around and there are vending machines where you can buy ammo.

praetor

Arcane
Well, it's not being developed by Gearbox, so that's automatic incline.

but it's developed nuCA's console team, so that's automatic decline. so is it back on the old incline/decline level?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I hope they'll keep her as an actual human and not make her some derp clone infused with alien DNA.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
The next video game in the world of Aliens will star the daughter of superstar space officer Ellen Ripley

Is Ripley's DNA now xenomorph magnet?

I wouldn't be surprised if they work those midichlorians in there.

Fucking retarded.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I didn't say it would be massive incline or even good, but it can't be worse than the atrocity Gearbox shat out. That's a pretty low bar, though.

I would actually prefer a survival horror game where you're stuck on a ship with a single xenomorph that hunts you. Oh, and it should be a commercial ship that didn't have any weapons or bodyguards, so that you have no way to fight back.

But alas, such hopes are in vain because :popamole:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom