Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

TBS Alea Jacta Est expansion (Parthian Wars)

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
http://www.ageod.co.uk/products/513/details/Alea.Jacta.Est-.Parthian.Wars

Exciting news, the 2nd expansion pack for Alea Jacta Est has been released. I am downloading it now and am going to try it out, but there's an AAR on the Ageod forums for those that would like to review it first ( http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?32793-Parthian-Wars-expansion-preview-and-AARs ).

Alea Jacta Est/Birth of Rome/Parthian Wars are clearly the best ancient-era strategy games that are out right now. Feel free to discuss the joys of moving little portraits around a map.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Don't worry, RTW fans stick to twitch-gaming forums. I am finishing up a Pyrrhus multiplayer game, but I would be up for a PBM of Parthian Wars.

L'ennui

Magister
Can the battle engine account for the parthian tactics and their outstanding ranged cavalry?

Only AGEOD I really played was Birth of America, and admittedly that was very good, but the sides were more homogenous than Romans and Parthians, which are world apart.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Cavalry was a topic of discussion, that the engine does not simulate that very well and how this would work with Parthian tactics.
I don't remember what the outcome was, but don't expect that they will have made more than cosmetic changes to the engine.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Judging by the AARs the game does not simulate it in any way and merely gives cavalry and horse archers massive bonus in plains (or massive penalties in other types of terrain).

Cenobyte

Prophet
Cavalry was a topic of discussion, that the engine does not simulate that very well and how this would work with Parthian tactics.
I don't remember what the outcome was, but don't expect that they will have made more than cosmetic changes to the engine.

Yes, apart from the new scenarios and flavour stuff (leader biographies and so on) there are no major changes to the game engine. Yet, I'd still say that it's a good game with solid mechanics, albeit it's of course rather obvious that the game engine was initially designed with another historical period in mind. But I can live with that.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Strategy for battles have one golden rule. When having superior fighting forces try to fight in a region where your 'front' is constricted. Meaning that your legionaires excell at butchering masses of low grade infantry as long as they don't get swamped from all sides by them. In reverse the same holds true. When having lower grade troops make sure you got the numbers and the room to envelop the enemy.

Cavalery is basically more speedy. Though the Parthian generals (usually) get nice bonuses for using them.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I must admit I don't try to understand these frontage rules. There are numerous threads about the topic, where people go to great lengths discussing the undocumented combat calculations, and the lead programmer tries to confirm or deny as best as he can, with his memory failing at times. I refuse to go through this. Perhaps they could release the source code for the combat part, so people can figure it out themselves.

As a player you are better off just forgetting any calculations and playing by intuition.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
I played one game of Birth of Rome online, and just stomped the shit out of Pyrrhus as Rome. We installed the patch though and it kind of screwed up our game. If anyone wants a multiplayer game of AJE/BOR/Parthian Wars let me know.

EDIT: Actually, come to think of it, I didn't really stomp my opponent in that game. I do think I was winning, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom