Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Albion, gentlewomen.

LoPan

Learned
I played it a bit less than a year back but never got very far, was supposed to rescue some druid when it all went sour, kept running from everything, and had been doing that for most of the beginning as well. Couldn't help but think I had done something severely wrong, in a bout of unimaginativeness I even grinded for a while. Eventually I drifted from the game, but it made an impression on me which lasts to this day, if only for its tasteful use of alien nudity, and so I'd like to go into it this time and not loose the momentum as clumsily as I did.

Sadly the manual wasn't much help, though it is a nice manual and it does have rather a lovely description of what an RPG is:
"A role-playing game, in the broadest sense, is the simulation of a new and often alien world and experience. As the player, you control one or more characters (called a party) and try to act appropriately,"

Hints and tips is the nature of this thread, but why not go on about Albion as well. I hear tell the codex opinion of it is lukewarm.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I had basically the same problem. I manged to fight my way through the first three dungeons (by the skin of my teeth in the last one) and after that everything raped me hard. I have some suspicion that I neglected to abuse the hell of the status inducing magic spells, especially sleep, but I am not sure. Also I hoarded my precious laser pistol ammo like water in the desert, which probably wasn't a very smart choice either. The game seemed pretty fun but I just couldn't take the continuing brutal abuse of my party anymore. Crazy Germans.

Gord

Arcane
I think you are almost forced to do some grinding in the beginning, esp. to get the skills of your magic users up (the spells improve with use).
It gets much easier once you can reliably cast spells that affect a line or all of the monsters (my favorite one is the freeze spell from the cat chick).
You can also find a pistol in the first dungeon or such, which helps a bit with the more difficult encounters (like that bipedal monster things), but ammo is limited.
Once you get to a point where you can beat the monsters on the first island somewhat easily, you can go ahead and leave for the next island/continent.
Also, I'd advise to keep a save from when arriving on Maini (should you get that far eventually), in order to get a certain outcome of one quest you need to do things in a very specific order, iirc.

Also start to wonder if James Cameron had played Albion before coming up with the idea of Avatar...

Wyrmlord

Arcane
What a boring-ass game, Albion.

To those who have not played, DO NOT PLAY. No point in playing a Western JRPG. If you want one, play Barkley Shut Up And Jam Gaiden.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Never completed the game the Druid Isle is not as fun as Furrfag city anyway but use the laser pistol and hunt those dinosaurs for horns which can be sold for decent gear; later once they are leveled up and furries have their healing magic trained the game becomes easy. :smug:
P.S. Game gave me bad ecoloon vibes later.... which is not as suprising as this is made by Germans Service Pack 2.0. :roll:

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

To those who have not played, DO NOT PLAY. No point in playing a Western JRPG. If you want one, play Barkley Shut Up And Jam Gaiden.
I know I did not get far, but that's just not true.

Hate to shatter your Dreams but only the 1st Island part which was in Demo BTW is fun.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity

fuck you indianbot, go post some inane threads

you have to grind on the first island to get your furry mage frost avalanche (the most OP spell in the game and your only hope of survival), else you're fucked - it's the only bad moment in the game.
i have a LP here, not updated for months :oops:

made

Arcane
No, you really don't have to grind on the first island

Yes, the game really is boring

CorpseZeb

Learned
... but has a such promising SF, proper space ship'sque beginning.

Ps. Never got so far in the game, that's shame because an game makers of Ambermoon and Amberstar (most of thier staff, anyway), deserves a chunk of attention.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
This is kind of an exploit, but who cares.

In Fur-city there's a healer who gives you potions every now and then after speaking to her. Just talk to her, end the conversation again and hope that you receive a potion. Repeat this until you are bored to death and / or have hundreds of healing potions.

Nattvardsvin

Learned
I seem to be the only one that found the music and ambient sounds in this game really memorable. It just fits the whole tropical and savage settings of the land perfectly imo.
And the dialogue was pretty interesting and in-depth in terms of learning about Albion and the Iskai and their culture and how they work in general. Even though NPCs often repeated the same lines on topics.

When it came to the combat and the dungeons, I didn't care much for that. And that's probably were the game fell a little flat for me. It felt JRPGish.
But in terms of the setting, dialogue and some of the characters, it was pretty enjoyable.

LoPan

Learned
Oh dear, does seem most people did just what I did. If anything I really didn't dabble much in spell casting so that is something. I grinded on the first island until I could shred the opposition and then moved onto the next only to get my ass handed to me in a high hat. Grinded on that island as well but to no avail.

... but has a such promising SF, proper space ship'sque beginning.

Ps. Never got so far in the game, that's shame because an game makers of Ambermoon and Amberstar (most of thier staff, anyway), deserves a chunk of attention.

As far as I got the SF remained solid. I am a sucker for the stuff though, and it is indeed boring which is another thing I am rather fond of. A slow, steady pace in a strange new world, I like the fact that it seemed like society kept going even though a bunch of weird aliens crash landed and brought rare and valuable metal. Again a sucker for this, I despise it when an RPG, or any game for that matter, treats you like you're the universe and the catalyst of anything that ever mattered to anyone.

Gord

Arcane
Well, spells are quite powerful once you get them to good enough levels, esp. the spells that affect multiple enemies.

Setting is quite interesting, and some nice deviation from the usual clichés.
Although I found the nature vs technology babble somewhat retarded eventually - however one has to keep in mind that you almost exclusively get to experience the perspective of the tree-huggers.

CorpseZeb

Learned
As far as I got the SF remained solid. I am a sucker for the stuff though, and it is indeed boring which is another thing I am rather fond of. A slow, steady pace in a strange new world, I like the fact that it seemed like society kept going even though a bunch of weird aliens crash landed and brought rare and valuable metal. Again a sucker for this, I despise it when an RPG, or any game for that matter, treats you like you're the universe and the catalyst of anything that ever mattered to anyone.

Well, if you are Hero, there's price for this... Heroism, I'm afraid. Anyway, maybe SF background is solid one, but much more cool would be "pure" SF themed RPG (sort of like Buck Rogers or Hard Nova but with the Albion level of overall polish (in the graphics department, especially), just like beginning of the game).

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I finished the game, with little problem. Thing is, i'm pretty sure the grind is key - there are lots of dungeon puzzles you need to solve, but nevertheless grind.

I did save the bullets for the ending boss too.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Albion had really stylish and pretty graphics that set a very cool mood. The 2d-3d hybrid idea was interesting but the 3d levels are incredibly disorienting, there is something wrong with the turn speed of the camera.. I almost couldn't play it. Pretty game nevertheless

20111107_albion_v1.2.1.4_(pandora_game_port).png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom