Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alan Wake

Wolfus

Arcane
Connection with Twin Peaks is very strong. Finished WRITER scenario yesterday and I was disappointed when I found that tere are no other chapters.

CorpseZeb

Learned
Anyone noticed how both DLC are better, are become more dense and thus more challenging, almost like... true, dark horror? Granted, they are short, but "what if", Alan Wake was all like them? Not a cozy, family title, but brutal, schizophrenic experience about lost of one mind, with fight mechanics not forgiving any mistakes (fights on the nightmare mode are truly hard sometime, mainly because lack of space and lack of weaponry resources). DLC are so much different in the tone, so much differs from the main game. Strange? Or they, simply, throw out all the previous beta tasters team... (if anyone listen "commentary mode", you know, what I mean).

piydek

Cipher
I've finished this game the other day. That's a praise in itself since lately I'm just not able to finish anything, new games just seem to be pure shit. Nevertheless, i don't think this game is good at all. Gameplay is just fucking terrible. Actually, there is almost no gameplay at all. Ultra repetitive simplistic fighting over and over again and running through corridors from A to B, then some cut-scenes. Rinse and repeat. That's the gameplay. Corridors galore, complete linearity, horrible hollywood-wannabe production with all the overproduced cut-scenes, really gay story. This could have been good. I remember a shitload of years ago when it was still supposed to be a PC-only title, how they've said that it's going to be an open-world, go anywhere at any time type of thing, trying to discover what the hell is happening, with strong adventure game flavour. If it was like this, it would have been much better. This is just corridors, hand-holding and cut-scenes which tell an "emotional" and "complex" story. A shit "game" that denies its own logic of a game. A game that tries really hard to impress you and make you overlook that it's not a game at all and that its gameplay is weak as fuck.

Also, this game has a true identity disorder. It's not really an action game. It's not a survival horror either. It's not an adventure game. It's not scary at all...i can even say i think it's not meant to be scary, just "thriller". It's just a cheap story in typical, boring, clicheed Hollywood AAA production that sells itself as a game but is actually a Bioware "epic story" cut-scene wet dream for adolescent fags with no taste.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
It's just a cheap story in typical, boring, clicheed Hollywood AAA production
Yeah, the whole story of the game is just like one of those hyped international best-sellers, written by a retarded Stephen King-wannabe that thinks he knows how to write horror...

w6VwC.png
:troll:

Im this sense, you have to applaud how perfectly they recreated a lame & bland "thriller" and his author. :lol:

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
And in the end, I didn't bother to finish the game.
Even thinking about the repetitive action makes me sick and I played it only in small sessions. I wonder how people who finished it in 1-2-3-4 sittings feel :troll:

Suchy

Arcane
Gave it a try.
Jesus, what a boring piece of turd. All the Twin Peaks feel gets lost less than 20 minutes in, and then it's just a bunch of linear, extremely repetitive "chapters", where the whole gameplay consists of following a quest marker and shooting the same bad guys over and over again.
Terrible writing, terrible voice acting, retarded story, good graphics. Uninstall.

Sòren

Arcane
seriously i can't believe that it took them more than 5 years to make this piece of shit. this is unbelievably ridiculous.​
if i worked for microsoft i would sue the fucking shit out of remedy.​

Deleted member 7219

Absolutely loved it, bought it for the 360 and then again for the PC, they really gave the PC version a lot of care and attention.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Absolutely loved it, bought it for the 360 and then again for the PC, they really gave the PC version a lot of care and attention.

:what:

At this point I'm trying to figure out if you're a really dedicated troll or you just honestly have horrible taste in games.

Deleted member 7219

:what:

At this point I'm trying to figure out if you're a really dedicated troll or you just honestly have horrible taste in games.

I've just looked back through this thread and you haven't really said what you disliked about the game. What's the problem?

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
He described Doom and Quake as popamole precursors to Call of Duty. I don't think it's possible for that not to be trolling.

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
The game looks sort of interesting, it at least might be enough to keep me occupied for a few hours.

Not at the current price, though. Dead Space 2 was much higher rated and yet even it was on a Steam sale for $5 before the year's end so there's no way I'm dropping $30 on a multiple-year-old console port.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
It is on sale for now at GG, for only 30% but it's still something. Pretty good game too, much better than the negative comment let me expect.

CorpseZeb

Learned
Taste is matter of... taste, de gustibus non est disputandum, etc., but Remedy attention to the quality of PC port is a fact. They seem to care.

Deleted member 7219

Also, it is a really well made game. Great atmosphere, interesting plot, fun combat, diverse locations with a lot of attention to detail, reasonable voice acting. Also the soundtrack is outstanding.

piydek

Cipher
Also, it is a really well made game. Great atmosphere, interesting plot, fun combat, diverse locations with a lot of attention to detail, reasonable voice acting. Also the soundtrack is outstanding.

I can see the point of you guys who write stuff like this. In the end, I've actually finished this myself as well. But what makes me evaluate this as piece of shit is that it's an absolutely shit GAME. It follows the trend that tries to push games into a "movie" direction. And when i say "movie", i mean retarded Hollywood AAA blockbuster crap. Just fucking cheap. But the quality of "movies" these games look up to is not relevant. What's relevant is that this direction is absolutely wrong for games. Games need good gameplay. Stuff like Alan Wake absolutely ignores gameplay and just tells what it thinks is a good story, told in what it thinks is a good way. I absolutely hate games that are just a linear corridor of "experience" through which developers push me, thinking they're giving me some kind of "emotion". It's cool if i get that stuff from something that actually HAS gameplay that is reasonably complex, challenging and fun. Games shouldn't be barely interactive movies that are just shit to play. And Alan Wake is exactly that.

Deleted member 7219

I can see the point of you guys who write stuff like this. In the end, I've actually finished this myself as well. But what makes me evaluate this as piece of shit is that it's an absolutely shit GAME. It follows the trend that tries to push games into a "movie" direction. And when i say "movie", i mean retarded Hollywood AAA blockbuster crap. Just fucking cheap. But the quality of "movies" these games look up to is not relevant. What's relevant is that this direction is absolutely wrong for games. Games need good gameplay. Stuff like Alan Wake absolutely ignores gameplay and just tells what it thinks is a good story, told in what it thinks is a good way. I absolutely hate games that are just a linear corridor of "experience" through which developers push me, thinking they're giving me some kind of "emotion". It's cool if i get that stuff from something that actually HAS gameplay that is reasonably complex, challenging and fun. Games shouldn't be barely interactive movies that are just shit to play. And Alan Wake is exactly that.

I really disagree. Play Alan Wake in Hard Mode, and then try Nightmare when it unlocks. It isn't an 'experience', it's a proper game. You have to work really hard to get through every fight, you can't just stand there and do the shine 'n shoot thing.

piydek

Cipher
I really disagree. Play Alan Wake in Hard Mode, and then try Nightmare when it unlocks. It isn't an 'experience', it's a proper game. You have to work really hard to get through every fight, you can't just stand there and do the shine 'n shoot thing.

Matt, I did play it in hard mode. Not in nightmare though. Hard mode doesn't require any tactics, I've always had plenty of ammo and health (played through almost everything with a puny pistol, conserving shotgun, flare gun and flashbangs for nothing). There's no situations that require really serious thought when it comes to approach. Even if there were some, can you really honestly say this does something for gameplay?

Also, notice how we're talking only about (simplistic) combat? No other gameplay besides that. If i agree that it's a proper game, not an experience, then I'd have to say it's boring, repetitive, simple combat over and over and over again and those lame fucking cut-scenes start to seem good when they save you from another batch of taken that you'll take out with your cut'n'paste tactic.

CorpseZeb

Learned
Well, so give a game chance and try nightmare mode, because "hard" isn't so hard and doesn't require strategy (and ammo conserving activity). Also, try any of DLC, they are a) more difficult (more fights in the closed space) b) more twisted, darker, interesting c) very short, though.

Wow...this game surprised me.

Cons:

-Terrible camera angles as typical from a console port.
-Somewhat unresponsive controls.
-Combat is highly repetitive.

Pros:

-Unique combat mechanics.
-Good story. Also quite unique. (A thriller...that's new)
-Great music.
-Excellent graphics.
-EXTREME attention to detail. The game LOOKS like the Pacific Northwest. The stuff in the environment is very unique...there's even product placement which as much as it's there to act as a commercial it does add some realism surprisingly. Locations all have small bits of lore exposed by examining things. The songs were made just for this game in a way that FEELS wonderful. I can't quite express all the "little things" I'm trying to mention, but they're there.

I'd like to point out the "special" way I discovered this game:

I was watching a livestream of a person playing SC2. They had a custom soundtrack playing and I heard this HEAVENLY song that I just knew was written for some sort of media tribute. I found the song online and loved it even more to hear it was from a game. I asked around and found the game received some good reviews so I bought it. I found out the song wasn't just some fancy opening/ending thing meant to sound good. It was played at a pivotal moment in the story by a fictional band that was part of the setting and was searched out by the main character since the song contained clues to his search.

This:

Sincerely,
The Vault Dweller

Hmm, I've been thinking of replaying it …

Funny you should say that Gragt. When I was playing it and Berry got left in the dark at one point he complained "I'll probably get eaten by a Grue" I immediately recognized it not, because I played the game the reference is from, but because I remember it as your signature at one point.

;),
The Vault Dweller

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom