Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alan Wake

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I'm currently at chapter 3 and I like it. The graphics are great, obviously the lighting are done pretty well.
There is something mediocre about the game and it's a bit unmemorable so far, but at least the action is tense.
Worth giving the game a try, but unfortunately it's not as special as I expected. Great soundtrack and atmosphere, though.
So far the game is good, but the problem is that it could have been much, much better. It's competently done, but lacks something I can't put my finger on. I have high expectation for the sequel.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I was going to ask, is this game worth the $30 on Steam? Max Payne was great, but that was 10+ years ago. How's the length and pacing, and all that? Do you get your money's worth out of it? And if anyone tried it, is the PC version any good?

Repressed Homosexual
http://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.ph...-massive-butthurt.45906/page-134#post-1967732

So I completed Alan Wake PC in one sitting. Boy, I grew so tired of the repetitive fights with the same 2-3 enemies, and especially of how slow Alan is, and how impossible it is to run past enemies. The crows are the worst enemies ever, they barely damage you, they're never a treat. The last part of the game goes on and on forever. The ending makes no sense at all. Very disappointed with the game's Gears of War-like structure. Still a better game than average (worth it for the fantastic environments), but very forgettable in comparison to Max Payne.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Pirated it in between Thief 1 and 2, went through the first introductory 'learn to walk' section and gave up. Another boring as fuck, clunky, repetitive corridor shooter pretending to be scary. Went back to Thief never looking back.

And if anyone tried it, is the PC version any good?
Port is of decent quality from what I've played. Controls are good, sufficient amount of graphics options and it even has adjustable FOV. This is probably the first time I've seen adjustable FOV in third person shooter options section.
Game itself though is merely ok for short sessions. Gets repetitive otherwise. Wait for a discount sale if you really wanna buy it.

So I completed Alan Wake PC in one sitting. Boy, I grew so tired of the repetitive
:lol: Duh..

garren

Arcane
Patron
To me the movement is a mess, I mean the character doesn't even run in the direction you're pointing at. Also the mouse movement has some weird filters installed, though fiddling with the settings makes it a bit better. Thankfully a patch should be coming to fix the camera/movement, judging from dev responses, so I'll postpone my playthrough till then.

Repressed Homosexual
And if anyone tried it, is the PC version any good?
Port is of decent quality from what I've played. Controls are good, sufficient amount of graphics options and it even has adjustable FOV. This is probably the first time I've seen adjustable FOV in third person shooter options section.
Game itself though is merely ok for short sessions. Gets repetitive otherwise. Wait for a discount sale if you really wanna buy it.

So I completed Alan Wake PC in one sitting. Boy, I grew so tired of the repetitive
:lol: Duh..

The reason for that is that the game does manage to be engaging, compelling you to move forward to see the rest of the story, and the environments look really, really good. However the more you play, the more the disappointing nature of the game reveals itself, and the sheer repetitive nature of the fights leaves a sour taste in your mouth.

Deleted member 7219

A very good and atmospheric third-person shooter. Overall I felt it was really well designed, especially the shine-and-shoot mechanic. Plot and dialogue gets a little derpy but is actually a lot better than Resident Evil/Dead Space.

The PC port is well done too, supports all resolutions and you can change the FOV without having to edit anything. There's one glitch which is annoying, vegetation flicker, but Remedy have said they'll fix it in a patch.

CorpseZeb

Learned
Plus, plus you can disable game retarded HUD and pretend to be lost in the woods, at least (sort of). Without HUD Alan Wake it's fairy good and atmospheric game, not the SH2 league, but... well...

Anyway, Dead Space 1 was not that terrible and I like it mainly for cliché SF/gore theme, but, yeah, AW is definitely better. Dead Space 2 - now - that was pile of "talking" garbage.

Wolfus

Arcane
Only problem I have with this game is that it is impossible to sec camera exactly behind Alan. You can choose between left side (default and terrible) or right (less terrible but still not good). I like atmosphere but like Zeb said - it's not the Silent Hill.

Wulfstand

Prophet
The game's pretty fun, and it's beginning was really promising for me, but after a while the voiceacting got really messed-up (a lot of those actors have some really messed up voices, as well as stupid lines to boot) and the gameplay gets pretty tedious at times, but overall the game's pretty alright.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
The gameplay really needed to evolve at some point, but it never does, so you just run around the forest aiming a flashlight at things then shooting them, and it gets boring.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
The gameplay really needed to evolve at some point, but it never does, so you just run around the forest aiming a flashlight at things then shooting them, and it gets boring.

So it's basically: Run around the forest aiming a flashlight at things then shooting them: The Game

Kwota

Augur
A farcry from the original Alan Wake idea, Deadly Premonitions is better at what it suppose to be... and DP is not a good game.

CorpseZeb

Learned
It's basically an edgy console game.

Edgy...? Cozy - that's a better description. Your protagonist is a writer, not a space marine saturated with cultural steroids about true manhood, plus, game story is about creating world with our words (not so metaphorically, it's about story about story about story), plus, AW is not a hard game (even on the nightmare mode) thus offering a simple yet pleasant fighting mechanics - all of these facts - creates a peculiar "cozy" atmosphere - at least, for me.

Ps. Last but not least, I always wanted to play AW, but not owing any console apparatus, I haven't chance, till present days.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
It's basically an edgy console game.

Edgy...? Cozy - that's a better description. Your protagonist is a writer, not a space marine saturated with cultural steroids about true manhood, plus, game story is about creating world with our words (not so metaphorically, it's about story about story about story), plus, AW is not a hard game (even on the nightmare mode) thus offering a simple yet pleasant fighting mechanics - all of these facts - creates a peculiar "cozy" atmosphere - at least, for me.
Ps. Last but not least, I always wanted to play AW, but not owing any console apparatus, I haven't chance, till present days.

Cozy, huh. Almost... almost like it was meant to be played on a couch, right?

CorpseZeb

Learned
Ahh... The Irony.

Ps. But SH's were "couchy" first, too. So, not the couch made the man.

MapMan

Arcane
The game goes like that:
1. Story section (mostly during the day) where you walk around and all you do is listen to NPCs ramble, no interaction what so ever. Completely linear.
2. Action section (during the night) where you run around the forest and shoot 2-3 enemies at a time. Also linear.
3. Cutscene

Rinse and repeat. That's it. The combat gets extremely boring (altough the basic idea is okay). The game should've been more like a survival horror/adventure and less like deadspace in a forest. Seriously, there's no interaction with the (mostly beautiful) environments except a silly QTE to start a power generator. That's literally it. When I play the game I see another wasted potential. It should've been more like alone in the dark, semi-open world where you walk around a mysterious town, solve puzzles, talk to people, ocassionally have to shoot and stuff. Such a shame.

CorpseZeb

Learned
Oh, come on... all five of them...? Besides, Aw doesn't contain any puzzles - QTE or whatsoever.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Alan Wake does have a few puzzles actually, although they're simple - things like hitting switches in the right order to open pathways etc. The power generator quick-time-event is there because being able to instantly switch lights on etc. in the middle of combat is both unrealistic and would eliminate risk/reward (since you have to stop moving and spend several seconds to turn them on). One of the few situations where I think they pulled them off well in the context of the game - there's no "press X to not die" crap.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom