Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alan Wake

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Lockkaliber, May 7, 2010.

1. Fat Dragon Arbiter

Fat Dragon
    Click here and disable ads!
    Game is pretty fucking good, finished it yesterday. I wasn't expecting much from it, but it really surprised me.

About 12 hours long, but very well paced so it feels like just the right length. Most levels last between 2-3 hours, they're pretty big and long. Linear though, but still fun with lots of secret areas to find. No tons of cutscenes or really long ones either, it's mostly all gameplay; the only long one is in the very beginning when you first enter the town. Nice atmosphere too, especially the parts where you're in the woods unarmed and half to escape from the dark presence.

Combat is solid and challenging. There's no shitty cover system, aiming is done from over-the-shoulder but unlike other games that use it doesn't cover up half the goddamn screen, and health regens so slowly you're pretty much fucked if you let it get low during combat.

All enemies are invincible until you destroy the darkness covering them. You do that by using light, usually with a flashlight; it has a battery count but the battery will recharge slowly unless you fry it in which case you need to change it. You also have flares, as well as flashbangs and flare guns which kill most enemies instantly but those 2 are pretty rare. There are also often environment objects such as searchlights to run to and use.

You can also dodge enemy attacks if you're quick enough but you can't rely solely on it. Alan runs out of breath and begins moving slow as shit if you try to abuse it.

Story is really good, nice lovecraftian vibe going for it, you're being chased by some eldritch abomination the whole game which often flings big fucking cars, trees, and houses at you and generally just tears the shit out of the environment. Makes for nice chase scenes; it has no physical form so you can't fight it. Characters are well written and every one has an important part in the story, none feel tacked on as some shitty extra.

Also, those weird tv shows like what were in Max Payne are in this too, a show called Night Springs which is a homage to The Twilight Zone; tvs that broadcast are found occasionaly throughout the levels; there are also radio shows to listen to. The game also delivers a big "fuck you" to Rockstar for what they're doing to Max Payne.

-edit
    It's also very well polished. During my 12 hour playthrough, I didn't encounter a single bug/crash/whatever. Plays very smoothly.
    ^ Top  
  2. Alexandros Liturgist

Alexandros
    Could you please elaborate on that?
    ^ Top  
  3. Fat Dragon Arbiter

Fat Dragon
    At one point in the game you can turn on a tv and catch an interview Alan did for his latest book, which is the last installment of a series he wrote (called Alex Casey) which is made to be an obvious homage to Max Payne, same story about a vigilante cop whose family was murdered and everything. Anyway, when asked why in the last book Alex Casey is killed off, Alan replies that he's done with that series and doesn't want anymore to do with it.

Alan Wake was written by Sam Lake, same guy who wrote Max Payne1-2 , I personally took it that it was his way of saying that Max Payne is dead to him and that Rockstar's game might as well just be a shitty fanfiction.
    ^ Top  
  4. SuicideBunny (ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻

SuicideBunny
    Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
    ^ Top  
  5. Gerrard Augur

Gerrard
    Lost Planet 2, high profile? Seriously?

And it's not going to get any higher thanks to RDR.
    ^ Top  
  6. Fat Dragon Arbiter

Fat Dragon
    Seems like AW is a game with sleeper hit status. It won't sell huge at first day, but overtime it will do well.

And if not, well at least then there's a bigger chance of getting a pc version.
    ^ Top  
  7. obediah Erudite

obediah
    Uh, you mean a pc port. The pc version died when they started the redesign.
    ^ Top  
  8. WhiskeyWolf RPG Codex Polish Car Thief Patron

WhiskeyWolf
    I see Remedy still didn't lost it's touch, even when they are whoring out for M$.
    ^ Top  
  9. Talby Scholar

Talby
    I like the Twin Peaks influences, but I'm not buying an XBox for one game. Assholes should've released it on PC like they said they would.
    ^ Top  
  10. Alexandros Liturgist

Alexandros
    Ah, I see. That's also ironic for them though, seeing as they managed to rape their own game (Alan Wake) before it was even released. Preemptive franchise rape, must be some kind of record.
    ^ Top  
  11. Fat Dragon Arbiter

Fat Dragon
    :?:

-edit

Ah, just remembered that back in 2005 when AW was first announced they were planning on making it a large open-world sandbox game with lots of NPCs to interact with and lots of buildings to enter and wildlife to explore, like a horror version of GTA set out in the country.

It's not really that uncommon for devs to cut some design ideas out during dev in order to focus mainly on the game's strengths if their original idea was too ambitious a goal for their team to reach with good quality. It's definitely not a "rape", especially considering how good AW turned out in the end.
    ^ Top  
  12. lightbane Liturgist

lightbane
    Actually, wasn't Bioshock raped as well before it was launched? The original idea was much better than the final product, and I have not tried the sequel but I'm sure it doesn't help.
    ^ Top  
  13. Vibalist Augur

Vibalist
    Old thread and all, but this game is pretty fucking good. The gameplay is good, and the story is really, really well put together. Same Lake is a terrific writer. It's a shame he's not on board for Max Payne 3 and that he hasn't done anything else than video games.

If you guys don't own an Xbox then at least watch an LP or something. You'll get a kick out of the story, it's every bit as good as the storyline in Max Payne.

And yes, the story in Max Payne was fucking awesome, and anyone claiming otherwise (which some of you elitist fucktards are bound to do) needs to smoke a cock.
    ^ Top  
  14. Phage Arbiter

Phage
    Old thread and all, but this game is pretty fucking bad. The gameplay is bad, and the story is really, really underwhelming. Same Lake is a lackluster writer.

If you guys don't own an Xbox then at least watch an LP or something. You'll get a kick out of the story, it's a joke.
    ^ Top  
  15. CrimsonAngel Savant Patron

CrimsonAngel
    Project: Eternity
    Yeah Alan Wake is shit.

The story start out strong and goes into complete BUGABUGA monster shit instead.
    OH and they spawn shit behind you all the FUCKING TIME.
    ^ Top  
  16. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    Serpent in the Staglands Wasteland 2
    Alan Wake is fantastico. I went out and bought the collectors edition after I'd finished just because I was so impressed with the writing and combat mechanics. My only complaint is that they abandoned the original open-world srv.hor. design, and also went for the route of spawning dozens of standard enemies instead of more interesting foes like the teleporting minibosses.

I still have to play the DLC though.
    ^ Top  
  17. Vibalist Augur

Vibalist
    And like clockwork, the dumbfuck elitists show up. What did I say?
    ^ Top  
  18. Phage Arbiter

Phage
    I never said anything about Max Payne's story because I never played Max Payne. Maybe you should read your own post?

Enjoy your console action game with bad controls and literally no resolution to the ending because the ending is exclusively available through DLC.
    ^ Top  
  19. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    AW controls shit all over other survival horror games. Anyone who complains about them is a baby rapist and smells faintly of antiseptic.
    ^ Top  
  20. Phage Arbiter

Phage
    Even if the controls are comparatively better than that of Survival Horror games, they still blow. Shit may be better than shit, but it's still shit.

Not to mention Alan Wake is really more of an action adventure shoot-em-up with a horror themed story. There haven't really been many survival horror games as of late.
    ^ Top  
  21. MapMan Liturgist

MapMan
    Heh. This game was supposed to be a PC exclusive. Long time has passed, I doubt it'll be released on pc. Would've atleast like to try it.
    ^ Top  
  22. Vibalist Augur

Vibalist
    You're still a dumbfuck elitist, though, so in the end it doesn't really matter.
    ^ Top  
  23. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    I never had the slightest problem with them, and bad controls are one of my pet peeves.

If you go down the whole "it's more of an action adventure" road then there havn't been many survival horror games period. If Alan Wake isn't a survival horror than neither are the early Resident Evil games, the Silent Hill games, the Dino Crisis series, Deadly Premonition, the Fatal Frame games, the original Parasite Eve et al. Survival Horror would barely constitute a distinct genre at all, consisting of perhaps the Clock Tower series, early Alone in the Dark games and a handful of obscure titles someone'll get butthurt about me not mentioning.
    ^ Top  
  24. Phage Arbiter

Phage
    Well what's your definition of survival horror? In Alan Wake, you more or less shoot everything in your path to the next checkpoint, solving a few easy puzzles on the way there.

Also, just to clarify I don't really view the later Resident Evils and Deadly Premonition as survival horror. (Though I guess Deadly Premonition is strictly closer due to having to eat/sleep, but it's mostly an action adventure) I also think the majority of the survival horror genre is pretty bad, lol.
    ^ Top  
  25. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    I believe the onus is on you to answer that question, Mr. Alan-Wake-isn't-a-real-survival-horror. :smug:
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)