Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alan Wake

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Game is pretty fucking good, finished it yesterday. I wasn't expecting much from it, but it really surprised me.

About 12 hours long, but very well paced so it feels like just the right length. Most levels last between 2-3 hours, they're pretty big and long. Linear though, but still fun with lots of secret areas to find. No tons of cutscenes or really long ones either, it's mostly all gameplay; the only long one is in the very beginning when you first enter the town. Nice atmosphere too, especially the parts where you're in the woods unarmed and half to escape from the dark presence.

Combat is solid and challenging. There's no shitty cover system, aiming is done from over-the-shoulder but unlike other games that use it doesn't cover up half the goddamn screen, and health regens so slowly you're pretty much fucked if you let it get low during combat.

All enemies are invincible until you destroy the darkness covering them. You do that by using light, usually with a flashlight; it has a battery count but the battery will recharge slowly unless you fry it in which case you need to change it. You also have flares, as well as flashbangs and flare guns which kill most enemies instantly but those 2 are pretty rare. There are also often environment objects such as searchlights to run to and use.

You can also dodge enemy attacks if you're quick enough but you can't rely solely on it. Alan runs out of breath and begins moving slow as shit if you try to abuse it.

Story is really good, nice lovecraftian vibe going for it, you're being chased by some eldritch abomination the whole game which often flings big fucking cars, trees, and houses at you and generally just tears the shit out of the environment. Makes for nice chase scenes; it has no physical form so you can't fight it. Characters are well written and every one has an important part in the story, none feel tacked on as some shitty extra.

Also, those weird tv shows like what were in Max Payne are in this too, a show called Night Springs which is a homage to The Twilight Zone; tvs that broadcast are found occasionaly throughout the levels; there are also radio shows to listen to. The game also delivers a big "fuck you" to Rockstar for what they're doing to Max Payne.

-edit
It's also very well polished. During my 12 hour playthrough, I didn't encounter a single bug/crash/whatever. Plays very smoothly.

Achilles

Arcane
Fat Dragon said:
The game also delivers a big "fuck you" to Rockstar for what they're doing to Max Payne.

Could you please elaborate on that?

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Alexandros said:
Fat Dragon said:
The game also delivers a big "fuck you" to Rockstar for what they're doing to Max Payne.

Could you please elaborate on that?
At one point in the game you can turn on a tv and catch an interview Alan did for his latest book, which is the last installment of a series he wrote (called Alex Casey) which is made to be an obvious homage to Max Payne, same story about a vigilante cop whose family was murdered and everything. Anyway, when asked why in the last book Alex Casey is killed off, Alan replies that he's done with that series and doesn't want anymore to do with it.

Alan Wake was written by Sam Lake, same guy who wrote Max Payne1-2 , I personally took it that it was his way of saying that Max Payne is dead to him and that Rockstar's game might as well just be a shitty fanfiction.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Gerrard said:
http://www.msxbox-world.com/xbox360/news/article/12302/Alan-Wake-fails-to-ignite-the-charts.html

MUST BE DEM PC PIRATES AGAIN :incline:
1) It's sourced from VGChartz, a notoriously unreliable source of information that relies largely on estimates. Chart Track showed that it topped the UK charts, beating FIFA World Cup 2010, Lost Planet 2, and other high profile releases. I'll wait for info from NPD and other sources before judging its sales.

2) The chart dates range from May 9 to May 15. Alan Wake was released on May 14, and managed to beat every other game for the week.

Gerrard

Arcane
Lost Planet 2, high profile? Seriously?

And it's not going to get any higher thanks to RDR.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Seems like AW is a game with sleeper hit status. It won't sell huge at first day, but overtime it will do well.

And if not, well at least then there's a bigger chance of getting a pc version.

obediah

Erudite
Fat Dragon said:
Seems like AW is a game with sleeper hit status. It won't sell huge at first day, but overtime it will do well.

And if not, well at least then there's a bigger chance of getting a pc version.

Uh, you mean a pc port. The pc version died when they started the redesign.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
I see Remedy still didn't lost it's touch, even when they are whoring out for M$.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I like the Twin Peaks influences, but I'm not buying an XBox for one game. Assholes should've released it on PC like they said they would.

Achilles

Arcane
Fat Dragon said:
Alan Wake was written by Sam Lake, same guy who wrote Max Payne1-2 , I personally took it that it was his way of saying that Max Payne is dead to him and that Rockstar's game might as well just be a shitty fanfiction.

Ah, I see. That's also ironic for them though, seeing as they managed to rape their own game (Alan Wake) before it was even released. Preemptive franchise rape, must be some kind of record.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Alexandros said:
Fat Dragon said:

Ah, I see. That's also ironic for them though, seeing as they managed to rape their own game (Alan Wake) before it was even released.
:?:

-edit

Ah, just remembered that back in 2005 when AW was first announced they were planning on making it a large open-world sandbox game with lots of NPCs to interact with and lots of buildings to enter and wildlife to explore, like a horror version of GTA set out in the country.

It's not really that uncommon for devs to cut some design ideas out during dev in order to focus mainly on the game's strengths if their original idea was too ambitious a goal for their team to reach with good quality. It's definitely not a "rape", especially considering how good AW turned out in the end.

lightbane

Arcane
Alexandros said:
Fat Dragon said:

Ah, I see. That's also ironic for them though, seeing as they managed to rape their own game (Alan Wake) before it was even released. Preemptive franchise rape, must be some kind of record.

Actually, wasn't Bioshock raped as well before it was launched? The original idea was much better than the final product, and I have not tried the sequel but I'm sure it doesn't help.

Vibalist

Arcane
Old thread and all, but this game is pretty fucking good. The gameplay is good, and the story is really, really well put together. Same Lake is a terrific writer. It's a shame he's not on board for Max Payne 3 and that he hasn't done anything else than video games.

If you guys don't own an Xbox then at least watch an LP or something. You'll get a kick out of the story, it's every bit as good as the storyline in Max Payne.

And yes, the story in Max Payne was fucking awesome, and anyone claiming otherwise (which some of you elitist fucktards are bound to do) needs to smoke a cock.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Old thread and all, but this game is pretty fucking bad. The gameplay is bad, and the story is really, really underwhelming. Same Lake is a lackluster writer.

If you guys don't own an Xbox then at least watch an LP or something. You'll get a kick out of the story, it's a joke.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yeah Alan Wake is shit.

The story start out strong and goes into complete BUGABUGA monster shit instead.
OH and they spawn shit behind you all the FUCKING TIME.

Vibalist

Arcane
Phage said:
Old thread and all, but this game is pretty fucking bad. The gameplay is bad, and the story is really, really underwhelming. Same Lake is a lackluster writer.

If you guys don't own an Xbox then at least watch an LP or something. You'll get a kick out of the story, it's a joke.

And like clockwork, the dumbfuck elitists show up. What did I say?

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
I never said anything about Max Payne's story because I never played Max Payne. Maybe you should read your own post?

Enjoy your console action game with bad controls and literally no resolution to the ending because the ending is exclusively available through DLC.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Even if the controls are comparatively better than that of Survival Horror games, they still blow. Shit may be better than shit, but it's still shit.

Not to mention Alan Wake is really more of an action adventure shoot-em-up with a horror themed story. There haven't really been many survival horror games as of late.

MapMan

Arcane
Heh. This game was supposed to be a PC exclusive. Long time has passed, I doubt it'll be released on pc. Would've atleast like to try it.

Vibalist

Arcane
Phage said:
I never said anything about Max Payne's story because I never played Max Payne. Maybe you should read your own post?

You're still a dumbfuck elitist, though, so in the end it doesn't really matter.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Well what's your definition of survival horror? In Alan Wake, you more or less shoot everything in your path to the next checkpoint, solving a few easy puzzles on the way there.

Also, just to clarify I don't really view the later Resident Evils and Deadly Premonition as survival horror. (Though I guess Deadly Premonition is strictly closer due to having to eat/sleep, but it's mostly an action adventure) I also think the majority of the survival horror genre is pretty bad, lol.

Deleted member 7219

I really liked Alan Wake. The story isn't that great but the setting and the gameplay worked really well. It is quite tense in parts, especially when you're in the woods (which, to be honest, is most of the game). Don't get the whining about controls, it basically handles like any other consolised third-person action game, and the torch and gun tend to lock on to the nearest enemy so there's no fucking about trying to aim with the thumbsticks.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
I couldn't get over the awful facial animation in some of the videos I watched. It looked like some idtech 3 shit.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Ed123 said:
Phage said:
Well what's your definition of survival horror?

I believe the onus is on you to answer that question, Mr. Alan-Wake-isn't-a-real-survival-horror. :smug:

More or less a genre slapped onto every "scary" game out there. Isn't really a genre, kind of hard to explain.

I'll be fair though, Alan Wake is better than most shit in that genre, like Fatal Frame.

Vibalist

Arcane
there's an alan wake 2 in the making. im pretty sure of that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom