Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alan Wake

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I was so excited for this game a couple of years back, but when I realized why the producers put the game on hold (apparently not enough combat and action in a psychological thriller game. also not enough boss fights) I've been feeling more and more skeptical towards the game. The reviews I've read all seem to point to clunky action mechanics and boss fights as well.

So anybody tried it yet? Is it any good?

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Oh, is it finally out? I gradually lost interest in it and the final blow was the announcement that it would come out only for Xbox 360.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
Yup, it came out 3 days ago.

I lost my interest for it quite some time ago.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
I used to hang on the 3D Realms forums when they sill where working with Max Payne. Does anyone knows why did they broke from 3D Realms?

denizsi

Arcane
I was hoping for a sandboxy mystery adventure stealth game with the occasional fights but the moment new footage with shit combat came out, it was obvious it was going to be shit.

Truman

Scholar
I'll try it out in a few weeks. Looked to me very much in the style of Heavy Rain, being very cinematic. I almost forgot about it like the others, but the technology video they sent out a few days ago got my attention again.

Lothers

Scholar
It's utter shit in comparison to Silent Hill. It's just primitive linear zombie shooting with flashligt instead of gun.

entertainer

Arbiter
ChristofferC said:
Seems to me that they had to rape the game to get it to work on the 360. :(

No, that was their goal.
Their reason to make this xbawks exclusive was that the game was better played on a couch with a controller.

Sòren

Arcane
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/a/alanwake/

Intense psychological thriller: Alan Wake delivers a deeply psychological and finely crafted plot that raises the bar for storytelling in video games. The riveting story of Alan Wake is propelled by a movie-like atmosphere, compelling situations, memorable characters, and real-time pacing. Remedy has a record of creating and developing games with unique cinematic presentation and exceptionally high production values.
Episodic narrative: The mission-based structure of Alan Wake creates an episodic narrative similar to a deeply structured dramatic television series, such as Twin Peaks and X-Files. As the episodes progress, gameplay evolves to introduce new elements and characters, escalating the level of threat and action in the game.

:lol:
I am impressed.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Oh Remedy, how i miss thee. From Death Rally to Max Payne and its sequel, only to plummet into uselessness with tripe shit. Seems that Finnish game studios are no different after all :(

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
entertainer said:
ChristofferC said:
Seems to me that they had to rape the game to get it to work on the 360. :(

No, that was their goal.
Their reason to make this xbawks exclusive was that the game was better played on a couch with a controller.

Yes, Alan Wake is better suited to the comfort of your sofa and the Xbox360. Alan Wake wants to talk to you, to seduce you, to lie down with you, to make the palms of your hands sweat in anticipation and dreading and the red ring is all you feel as it tightens around your dick and the controller slips from your hands and you find Alan Wake's lips locked on yours and

That's why it's not suitable for the PC.

MetalCraze

Arcane
What's so unusual about a shitty linear console shooter full of crappy engine-rendered cutscenes?
You may as well torrent M2033 where most of the time you spend watching cheap 3D movie instead of playing the game (which sucks even more than cutscenes)

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
MetalCraze said:
What's so unusual about a shitty linear console shooter full of crappy engine-rendered cutscenes?
You may as well torrent M2033 where most of the time you spend watching cheap 3D movie instead of playing the game (which sucks even more than cutscenes)

Damn! Lost my post. To cut it short, the dev described some of the techniques they raided from various horror movies and TV shows and incorporated into the game to develop the creep factor.

After seeing the video of this indie game,

Forgotten Memories prototype environments showcase part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc8sGjxE ... _embedded#

I've become interested in this kind of thing.

EDIT:
I like the Hitchcock movies, where most of the tension comes from what you can't see. So if anyone has made games like that, let me know.

Phelot

Arcane
Why the fuck can I not find a single video that actually shows gameplay?! It's all stupid fucking cutscenes, including some ten minute long video titled "Alan Wake Gameplay"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom