Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Al Lowe's Leisure Suit Larry Remake -- Out Now

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah, I also think they should skip on remaking all of them. Seems like a waste of time.

Plus, even if they release 1 per year, it's at least 6 fucking years to wait for a new one.
You mean four years.

2,3,5,6,7 + a new one. 6 years.
... I was joking about a "remake" of 4, rather badly, apparently.

Dexter

Arcane
Yeah, I also think they should skip on remaking all of them. Seems like a waste of time.

Plus, even if they release 1 per year, it's at least 6 fucking years to wait for a new one.

But apparently they already started working on Larry 2.
I only played 5-7 (I don't remember if I've even finished 7 though) so a Remake of the first 3 is most welcome. But it's so long ago that I don't even remember very much aside from the main plots and settings.

First impression, damn fucking funny and I've spent a lot of time just listening to the different dialogue on the first Screen and the bar. Beware of the gutter, there are Evil Clowns inside :P
Don't know when I last had so many "laugh out loud" moments in quick succession and it was only the first area.

What pisses me off somewhat at the moment is that there's no Option for 1920x1200, I heard this was apparently available in the Beta?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Remaking the original "trilogy" makes a lot of sense. I hope they take some more liberties with 2 and 3 though, as they have their stupid moments.

Leave 5+ alone.

When they make an original game they should call it 4.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I really hope they don't waste their time remaking 5-7. 5 is crap, and 6/7 are both fine as they are.

LizardKing

Scholar
This was much better than I anticipated, the game's hilarious.
The base game haven't changed much, but graphics, jokes and music are updated and there's also some new puzzles and locations.
When it comes to writing, there's insane amount of detail, descriptions and new jokes.
It's basically Josh Mandell show.
Soundtrack is fantastic and art direction is good (some character animations not that good).
The developers should be thankful they have Josh Mandell in their writing department, he did a very good job here.

I wouldn't mind seeing more LSL remakes like this, as long as they have Josh Mandell in the team.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
2 is pretty bad.
3 is good for what it is.
5 is ok, but famously unpopular.
6 is good.
7 is arguably the best since 1.

Josh Mandel would make any of the games better, as he is actually a good writer.

uaciaut

Augur
I'm actually curious about how well this is selling at the moment given that it's the first "big" nostalgia-kickstarter games that got released (unless i missed something).

otsego

Cipher
I was curious on day 1 as well.
On steam, when I checked, I believe it was at the #20 spot on day one. Now, I have no idea if steam tracks direct PURCHASES, or if they also add redemption codes on top of it (all backers received a steam code as well as their DRM-free version).
Day two, it was at about #45.

Decent bit of fun, anyway. I never played Larry back when it came out (too young to get past the questions), but I did enjoy the 2.5 hours it took to beat this.

trustno1code

Prophet
I'm actually curious about how well this is selling at the moment given that it's the first "big" nostalgia-kickstarter games that got released (unless i missed something).

Not sure where exactly this is from, but same person on AGs says:
According to Paul Trowe, this has sold 250,000 copies on PC in the first week. Even with their split with codemasters and the download services’ take, that should still put them north of a million dollars to make the next game.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I'm not exactly sure what this says about me as a person, but does anyone else find the new Eve similar identical looking, jug size aside, to a certain model? NSFW spoiler.

rwqXKyy.jpg

8E9eBpN.jpg

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
250,000 is good for week one, assuming that doesn't could kickstarter redemption. PC games have a long tail too, they will probably double that the first time they do a Steam sale.

Wizfall

Cipher
I'm playing the game and i'm still at the beginning.
I never played any Larry game before and i always been bad with adventure games.
Reading some have completed it in few hours seems quite incredible to me.
I have to say i don't enjoy a lot the game despite it is the kind of adventure game i should like (more dialogues/descriptions than puzzle, humor and cartoony in a good way).
Makes me a bit sad i don't get it.
By the way have someone any info about the next Broken Sword Game ?
Except i know the release has been delayed for September i can't find any info about it or any screenshots.
Anyone backed it ?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
One wonders how this Larry game even came out since they only raised $650k and adventure games cost at least six million to make!

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Well, to be honest, they also had their design done from the previous game and couldn't exactly go overboard with it.

m_s0

Arcane
2 is pretty bad.
3 is good for what it is.
5 is ok, but famously unpopular.
6 is good.
7 is arguably the best since 1.

Josh Mandel would make any of the games better, as he is actually a good writer.

A good writer who should be working on some more original ideas - hopefully they'll end up doing that at some point. Although I wouldn't mind another Callahan's game as well.

Eyeball

Arcane
h
One wonders how this Larry game even came out since they only raised $650k and adventure games cost at least six million to make!
They appear to have made the game on something very, very much resembling the AGS engine, which is free to download. Also, the animation's kinda cheap.

As for the game itself, I played a few of the LSL games back in the day and have fond memories of them. Playing this, I realise that they haven't really aged that well, and that the jokes that were funny then with NeXT to no Graphics don't really Work as wd lell with the more polished look.

Excellent voice acting all around, especially Larry. It was great hearing his wimpy whine Again, but the overall game experience was better back in the golden age of adventure games.

trustno1code

Prophet
Yeah, I mean they didn't have to cough up any extra dough of their own or anything, even considering this was a remake, like those other numnuts... oh wait:

Al Lowe said:
Games are expensive to create. We went to great lengths to stay on budget and conserve money. The whole process in the end cost roughly 1.25 million. We brought in about 750K from Kickstarter and late donations through PayPal. We had to put a lot of extra money into the game.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
They appear to have made the game on something very, very much resembling the AGS engine, which is free to download.

No, it's made in Unity.

Playing this, I realise that they haven't really aged that well, and that the jokes that were funny then with NeXT to no Graphics don't really Work as wd lell with the more polished look.

I disagree. But hey, opinions I guess.

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
The game undeniably has its flaws, but it's still much better than i expected. Many of the jokes are updated and there's tons of quite witty new descriptions, jokes etc. on top of the old stuff (mostly By Josh Mandel i assume, because this is what he's famous for).
Let's hope the game does well enough to warrant more remakes and eventually a new game. I seriously doubt the quoted 250k sales figure though. Granted, the game doesn't take long to finish, but total player numbers on steam haven't exactly been massive and they've been declining quite rapidly.
Also, the game is out of Steam top selllers list already and it seems, that it isn't exactly selling like hotcakes on GOG too. I don't know if their charts mean anything, or how often they're updated, but the game has been out two weeks, and even that fucking horrible Magma Cum Laude has still sold more according to their charts. I guess most people still go there for a cheap old classic or two (and preferably on sale), but come on! This is ridiculous!

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Steam's top sellers list is almost always going to be comprised of games currently on sale. The fact that this was even up there for a few days is a good sign considering most of the people who really wanted it just gave to the Kickstarter.

Duraframe300

Arcane
IOS and Android Versions for the game are out. Android Version is even free for now (to test out) with an in-app purchase to unlock the full game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom