Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

AI 2.0 appreciation station

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Everyone seems to be complaining about retarded stuff that enemies are doing. I'm not denying that, witnessed more than a few of those.
Thing is, scope of actions you can perform in combat is huge and Im quite amazed how well AI does it.
Beside moments of retardness there were cool actions which surprised me and never expected AI to pull that of. Here is list from my memory. Im interested in seeing yours:

- enemy moving in on teammate rear side to protect it from my rogue
- shackles of pain + movement only to force attacks of opportunity
- after my rogue got wrecked and close to death Ive cast on him living on edge + death wish, along with armors boost to prevent cheap cc. Enemy boss took high ground only to teleport my rogue so far away he auto exited combat
- tactical usage of uncanny dodge spell. Really annoying and cheap counter against physical party.
- glitter dust usage. This one is annoying as enemies can perform it long before you get your hands on the book. It negates extra defenses from high ground and in some cases allows targeting. Ive seen archers on high ground doing it to expose my archer to teammates on the ground.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

yeah considering the ai's love for taking aoos i'm pretty sure that was not actually planned

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
AI often froze and think a lot before doing something stupid. Especially in later stages it "thinks" 30-40 seconds before just puking some reinforcements and move to another place.
Teleports away just to walk back near you.
Randomly attacks barrels (deathfog barrels were dangerous I give'em that)
Like to burn its magical armor in cursed fire.
Casts defensive buffs (like evasive aura) even when an enemy is far from you. That buff lasts only 1 turn...
Don't care about AoO a lot.

Edit: My main gripe is mind control btw. When AI mind controls one of my characters it goes insane. Either drinks all them potions or chain cast basic scrolls.

Last edited:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
done 2 rounds in a row. Movement barely past opportunity circle.

i've seen various enemies consistently move 'barely past the opportunity circle' (or, indeed, get out then move in) all the time numerous turns in a row without shackles of pain

i'm certain that what you witnessed was just an accident at work

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
I'm pretty sure the fact that the AI checks for so many possibilities before acting is the reason why enemies stand still for 10 seconds apiece before moving. It's infuriating.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

Volken

Scholar
AI is great indeed. Get into the room with 3 neutral npcs, kill one or two of them, fake death/escape combat, get up/get back, everyone is okay with the fact that you just killed their friends a moment ago. ;)

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent

yeah considering the ai's love for taking aoos i'm pretty sure that was not actually planned
Actually, the AI:s love of soaking attacks of opportunity is apparently WAD, because they didn't want people to take a talent and feel like it was wasted.

Yes, I shit you not. The AI acts like a complete retard as a form of participation reward.

Volken

Scholar
And endgame is just a series of mandatory auto-win battles instead of a tactical challenge with more tools at your disposal. Kids love their power trips.

Tigranes

Arcane
I thought the Final Battle will be a fantastic test of mettle or at least a massive sprawling epic battle, and it is - until you realise you just gotta kill one dude and it's all over.

Same with Alexander, it looks great until the enemies fight each other. Would be fun to have a mod adjusting those big set pieces a little.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom