Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ah.....bored now

Vaknathi

Novice
dear and most benevolent and wise Wolf
I'm very much afraid that I've played Teudogar to death. It is immensely enjoyable but I have utterly exhausted each and every possibility. My question is simply How Far Off Finishing Darghul Are You? (Of course Teudogar II is much looked forward to, but one realises you only have so much time on your hands so we must be as patient as possible).

Thought I'd mention a few things:
1. After ridding oneself of the priestess at Cattanford (her name escapes me) so her estate and slaves are yours, these are taken and destroyed in that final overthrow of the king (whose name also escapes me). This is very annoying.
2. Being able to set up some kind of shop would be great, for potions or the like. Perhaps this could be sort of automatic, run by your slaves, and every now and again your merchandise drops and your store of money or something goes up a little.
3. It would be great to be able to repair the destroyed houses like Gilbert's in Bruglow, I imagine such a thing would be automatic, but you could have to pay for it. Perhaps this could raise one's reputation. I remember someone discussing reputation in a previous thread. I though being able to actively raise one's reputation is a good idea, as is varient reputation in different villages. I would like to be able to buy land and build a new house or perhaps you would have to buy the house or estate, maybe this could be done when a certain reputation level is reached, or perhaps being able to buy a new slave or cow. Maybe it would be good to found one's own settlement, perhaps after killing some high ranked figure and being exiled from your home village, to which one could attract tradesmen and a merchant. Buildings could be automatic/in place or you could choose set plans from a menu. OH HECK! This is getting really complicated. I do realise most of these things would be difficult as hell to implement, think of this as Vak's game wish list rather than anything I expect you could possibly manage to put in one.
4. It would be good to combine the two streams of the game, so you could negotiate with the Romans, get pissed off, turn around and fight against them. Maybe they could destroy a village and you could raid the Roman camp.
5. By the way, It took me forever to find the cave at Bruglow, my final, rather rewarding, discovery.

I've been thinking of making a website/fansite for Teudogar, with your gracious permission. It would have names and places, the different potions and their effects, extra historical research, nothing too fancy as this would be my first attempt at a website, any suggestions would be welcome, as would people's final scores and the like for a "hall of fame".

Please relieve our suffering with a final release date for Darghul, even just confirming the one on the website (31 0ct.?) and thanks all for your forbearance with the above rant. Vaknathi

Wolf Mittag

Wolf Mittag Software Development
Developer
Hello Vaknathi, well, I'm currently working from 9:00 to 23:30, daily, including weekends, exclusively on DARGHUL. If my health permits me to continue at this pace, it will indeed be complete by October 31st. It's certainly not going to be the best RPG ever written, but I think it'll be fun to play, and there are some improvements, compared to Teudogar. However, we're only talking about the German version here; translation to English will probably take one or two additional weeks, so that'd probably more like middle of November.

1. Priestess Alfhilda's estate in Cattanford looted: Of course that's unpleasant when you've made yourself owner of that place. But I think it's realistic and fair. Henchmen have only two or three chances a year to get a decent amount of booty. If they make good use of these, they can buy their own estate and no longer need to fight for their lord. If they don't, it'll be one more year of hardship, danger, and subservience. So I think widespread looting is unavoidable.

2. Yes, I agree; expanding what you can do as trader/craftsman/merchant will be fun, and several people made suggestions that direction. I've already got that on my ToDo-list (but couldn't/can't implement it immediately because it's quite a lot of work).

3. I implemented something a bit similar: When you leave Adalmar's estate after he's become king, and return after a while, you'll notice his hall has been restored to its former glory. Perhaps I ought to have done the same to Gilbert's house. However, there were technical difficulties (in order to save hard disk space, ground tiles are saved in one single file which remains constant over the entire game (the only thing that changes are object tiles like equipment, doors, food etc): That means I can easily modify object tiles, but I'd have to do some major reconstruction in order to modify ground tiles (like walls, floors etc) as well. So I decided to put that off for the time being.

4. Originally, things were that way. I changed that in order to limit the amount of dialog text and code required: Even now, most people have 3 to 5 different main dialog trees, for all possible scenarios, and the main protagonist have even 15 to 20. Enabling you to switch sides (possibly repeatedly) would have multiplied the number of possible constellations, and therefore the number of conditional dialog source code and dialog text passages as well. If that concerned only one or two people, that still would have been ok, but since events in Teudogar are so closely interlinked, it would have had to be done for all major protagonists.

Thank you for your suggestions! Most of what you've listed are things I definitly want to implement. After all, the main fun factor of RPGs compared to books is the freedom of action you have, so everything that increases that is worth doing. But since I can do only a small part of what I'd like to do within the next couple of weeks, I have to move most things to my Long-Term-ToDo-List, and realize them later on, after the release of DARGHUL, bit by bit, starting with things that are easy to implement, and putting off things that require fundamental changes.

A Teudogar Website: Of course I'd be very happy to see such a thing. Contact me via the Feedback Form on the Teudogar website if you'd like any of Teudogar's graphics or any specific information for that.

Vaknathi

Novice
well, my exams don't finish until end of november (tacitus, virgil and seneca - yick), so i should be patient even if i don't want to be. Just don't make yourself sick, and not just because we need your brilliant games. hang in there,
Vak

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom