Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

TBS AGEOD's Hannibal: Terror of Rome

Sranchammer

Arcane
Vatnik
This stand-alone expansion of Alea Jacta Est features the following scenarios:

• The First Illyrian War(230-228 BC) sees Rome opposing the aggressive Illyrian pirates and the Greek cities of the South in the Adriatic Sea. To contain the pirates activity, military forces were sent by the Achaean League and even Rome. For the first time the Roman consuls focus on the East.
20140404100909.jpg

• The Cisalpine War(225-222 BC) confronts Rome with a ferocious Celtic tribe. It’s time for revenge as these Gallic warriors sacked Rome in 390 BC.
20140404100950.jpg

• The Second Punic War(219-201 BC) is a major campaign that started even before the clash between Rome and Carthage; when Roman legions fight in the Second Illyrian War, and Carthage finishes its conquest of Hispania…
20140404100951.jpg

• Cannae(216-201 BC) begins with panic in the Roman army after its catastrophic defeat at the Battle of Cannae. The scenario starts with the withdrawal of Syracuse, Capua and Taranto from the war in Italy. The situation is critical!

• Scipio Africanus (211-201 BC) narrates the Spanish campaigns of the best Roman general of the war, and his final fight against Hannibal in Africa.

http://www.ageod.co.uk/products/527/details/Hannibal:.Terror.of.Rome

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This is great news!

Alae Jacta Est is easily the best ancients game out there right now. If you're at all a fan of the Classics, get Alea Jacta Est and all it's expansions. I like Birth of Rome the most.

Misconnected

Savant
I kind of love the mental image of every dev everywhere working on oldschool 240p monochrome monitors. But as a gamer I'm fucking sick of tiny unreadable font.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Of all these scenarios, I'm most interested in the Illyrian War one. I like the greeks more than Romans/Carthaginians. Pyrrhic War scenario in Birth of Rome was great, can't wait until they release a Peloponnesian War title.

Anyway, it's also worth mentioning that Hannibal: Rome and Carthage is a pretty good ancients game based on this same time-period:

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/388/details/Hannibal:.Rome.and.Carthage.in.the.Second.Punic.War

Punic War isn't my favourite, so I only played the demo, but it was pretty good. Similar to Ageod titles (grand strategy), too.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Of all these scenarios, I'm most interested in the Illyrian War one. I like the greeks more than Romans/Carthaginians. Pyrrhic War scenario in Birth of Rome was great, can't wait until they release a Peloponnesian War title.

Anyway, it's also worth mentioning that Hannibal: Rome and Carthage is a pretty good ancients game based on this same time-period:

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/388/details/Hannibal:.Rome.and.Carthage.in.the.Second.Punic.War

Punic War isn't my favourite, so I only played the demo, but it was pretty good. Similar to Ageod titles (grand strategy), too.

Also played the demo, would definitely recommend. Feels and plays very much like a boardgame, which is good. Awesome that you played the boardgame itself Scranhammer, I've yet to pick it up. Others have mentioned some of the spinoffs/expansions/whatever after Alea Jacta Est, so which is recommended? I only played the original, Wars in America, and of course ACW. Which of those, if any, play "bigger" than the base game? Broader scope, more management, more shit to look after, more events etc.

Sranchammer

Arcane
Vatnik
I only have the base AJE game but I'd say it depends on your interest. Parthian Wars has some kinks to work out but in a patch or two should be good. Frankly, I think a lot of people were waiting on the 2nd Punic War scenario.

When it comes to trying to reign in sheer chaos, Revolution Under Siege as the Reds takes the cake. I'm going to write an AAR on it in a few weeks, actually.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
I honestly really dislike them bringing out all these expansion/campaign packs as stand-alone for stand-alone prices. Especially when a litle tinkering shows that every campaign works just as well when you simply copy the file into the relevant folder of the original AJE. Matrix gonna Matrix I guess.

That said, the games really are worth it. The system has its faults and sometimes a missing trigger or a situation the scenario designers didn't anticipate creates some wierd stuff but overall the scenarios are really intense endeavours.

Also recoomened. Although not as rich in mechanics and content as Rome it has the best Ai I've come across in a wargame.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
For people interested in the Hannibal: Rome and Carthage game, there's also a good Let's Play thread about it:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...e-and-carthage-in-the-second-punic-war.84166/

The op never finished it, but it is an entertaining read.

Also played the demo, would definitely recommend. Feels and plays very much like a boardgame, which is good. Awesome that you played the boardgame itself Scranhammer, I've yet to pick it up. Others have mentioned some of the spinoffs/expansions/whatever after Alea Jacta Est, so which is recommended? I only played the original, Wars in America, and of course ACW. Which of those, if any, play "bigger" than the base game? Broader scope, more management, more shit to look after, more events etc.

When deciding which expansions to get, you really have to decide what time period you enjoy the most. I like the Greeks and I like the time period before Rome became a major power; that means Birth of Rome is good for me. It has a major scenario with Pyrrhus attacking Rome on behalf of Greater Greece, then getting involved in Sicily against Carthage (if you decide to do so). There are plenty of struggles between Rome and other Italian powers, too, so you get some good diversity in the units. The original AJE was okay for me, too, because it had a couple of major scenarios with Mithridates VI fighting Rome.

Parthian Wars... the time period and factions don't really interest me that much, but I enjoyed playing it. I had a pretty intense game where I had Crassus sieging the enemy capital while rapidly running out of supplies.

As for the "biggest" AGEOD game out there... Revolution Under Siege has an epic campaign. I haven't tried Espana 1936, so I don't know how long or complex that game is.

Last edited:

KoolNoodles

Arcane

Thanks. I meant "biggest" in terms of the ancient Roman/Greek time period games. Love that era of history to death and haven't found many computer games, if any, that capture the feel that the Ageod games do. Mostly been stuck with boardgames, which require other people to play(screw that!).

Since I'm a fan of the Greeks before the rise of Rome, I'll check out Birth of Rome. Really enjoy the competition between Carthage and Rome as well, so eagerly awaiting H:ToR.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
That is a pretty amazing price from Matrix. Definitely worth it.

oscar

Arcane
Anyway, it's also worth mentioning that Hannibal: Rome and Carthage is a pretty good ancients game based on this same time-period

Terrific game. I wrote a review for it. Charming presentation with a very interesting AI that models the personalities of the various Roman commanders which serves to make generals a lot more interesting than just a set of statistical buffs or maluses to soldiers under their command as they usually are. It's rather pricey for the amount of time you'll get out of it (whoever sets Matrix's pricing system could learn a thing or two from Paradox) but still a very memorable title.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
I'm sort of glad a stale old site like Matrix is still around peddling every sort of strategy game, but the day all those games go on some sorta distribution platform like Steam and then go on sale, I will buy them all and become a hermit.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Replaying some AJE again, and now I remember the one thing I HATED. The awful quality of the music. Clicks and pops every other second on the tracks. Really a shame.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I have only AJE and BOR and find them quite good. But a lot of the content like the 1st punic war was dissappointing and never got fixed. Revolution under Siege and Espana '36 are more up my alley.

A RuS Gold version is in development. There are also rumors that a World War One game, based on the Guns of August Mod and AGE is in development.
Guns of August had only 8 turns, but looked like WW1 for RuS, absolutely fantastic.
Mysteriously it's developer and any updates dissapeared at the time that Pocus/PhilTib said they would set up a forum for him.
It's very, very probable that they took the mod up a level and have developed a WW1 game in secrecy.

Burning Bridges

When it comes to trying to reign in sheer chaos, Revolution Under Siege as the Reds takes the cake.

Yep. To any new player, I would recommend to start with a campaign in Espana '36 first. Once you managed the smaller scale in Espana, move up to RuS and its 2 massive campaigns.

Burning Bridges

where have you see it "announced"? the only half announcements where Phils comments in the Guns of August thread, and another one at Matrix

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom