Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ageod Wargames

Ageod Wargames

• Yea

• Nay

Results are only viewable after voting.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Anyone here a big fan of Ageod? I enjoyed Alea Jacta Est, Revolution Under Siege, Rise of Prussia, and the one about America's revolutionary war.

I'm considering getting Thirty Years War, does anyone here have it? Thoughts? It came out last month and was made by the guy who made Espana '36 (another game I did not play).

http://www.ageod.com/products/575/details/Thirty.Years'.War

For what it's worth, I like small scenarios. The war with Finland in RUS is fun for me, as are some of the smaller AJE scenarios like Spartacus, Cantabrian War, the one down the Adriatic/Ionian seas, etc.

Luka-boy

Arcane
Oh shit! I didn't know Ageod was making a Thirty Years War game!
moneyluom4.jpg

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I haven't got it yet, just started playing Pike & Shot Campaigns because I noticed that today was the last chance to get it 75% off for previous P&S owners.

Let us know what it's like.

Beowulf

Arcane
It's ok so far (TYW). There are a few shorter scenarios, and two larger and longer campaigns.
Supply looks to be more of an issue than in most Ageod titles, the supply wagons unit is the most precious in the game (which is largely historically correct, so to speak).
There is some diplomacy, but it's really barebones - spend 5 EP to appease that Nation and 5 EP for the other Nation, but you get so many EP's that you can do it all at the same time and not bother.
I have yet to come to terms with larger battles results as they all seem to be having roughly the same proportion of casualties (i.e. no really decisive and very bloody battles when two armies of 20.000 + meet).
It suffers the same usual problem as other games in their engine - massive slowdowns when scrolling with high unzoom and filters; it crashed only once or twice on me.

New map looks good graphically and gives good period vibes, but at the same times the provinces have roads/tracts painted over them, which are perhaps only cosmetic, because units ignore them when moving (i.e. you have this "tract" visibly connecting two provinces, but after giving your units a move order to adjacent province they will take a different, more optimal route, ignoring the visible "track" connection).

The scenarios may seem overwhelming at first, because of the scope, but in reality (except for the grand campaign, which I have yet to try) they play in a more "simple" manner because of the supply issues - you have to concentrate on operating 1-2 large stacks and some small cavalry raids.
Can't say much about the AI really, it seems to work decently, but it sometimes overextends and gets too high attrition due to the lack of supplies and is easily beaten as a result.

Sranchammer

Arcane
Vatnik
I plaYed ACW to death, moved on to BoA, then RuS and AJE.

Stopped playing after I relocated and left my desktop. Luckily, Pike and Shot fills the void

Id wait another 3 months for bugs to be ironed out,as usual

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
The problem many of us have is that after 8 years playing games on the same engine, you already know how yet another game play out. In my opinion it's time for Ageod to move to a new engine. But this wont be an issue if you have no other Ageod games, or just a few.

I also think Thirty Years War game should be more like Shogun Total where you feel like you are really governing a nation. Where you really run the budget, building, trade and diplomacy. Here it's all about marching orders and a bit of being the overseeing of recruitment, otherwise you feel like you are only one general that is mostly restricted (for example not being able to enter many territories and control locked armies)

Burning Bridges

It suffers the same usual problem as other games in their engine - massive slowdowns when scrolling with high unzoom and filters; it crashed only once or twice on me.

There are texture options in the main menu, and if you set them very low the map scrolls fast without looking different. I can even run it on an i3 notebook that way.

New map looks good graphically and gives good period vibes, but at the same times the provinces have roads/tracts painted over them, which are perhaps only cosmetic, because units ignore them when moving (i.e. you have this "tract" visibly connecting two provinces, but after giving your units a move order to adjacent province they will take a different, more optimal route, ignoring the visible "track" connection).

Normally this works in the other games. Perhaps there are still bugs in the road graph.

Can't say much about the AI really, it seems to work decently, but it sometimes overextends and gets too high attrition due to the lack of supplies and is easily beaten as a result.

The AI in all Ageod games is quite good at attacking, but bad at defending, and has no concept of holding on to what it already conquered. The good thing is that you can never know where it will attack next, so it will tie down a lot of your forces for defensive tasks.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
What's the purpose of cavalry raiding stacks? I only ever deploy little stacks of cavalry in AJE to scout where the enemy is, never to attack or raid or whatever. Am I failing to employ some crucial strategy? I don't even scout that much when I know where the enemy is or I have a clear goal, I just bring my cavalry back to the doomstacks.

On a side note - anyone fancy a PBEM game of AJE or BOR?

I could play some AJE. Not the grand campaigns, though, unless we have more players. Perhaps if some others join we could do the year of four emperors or something. Failing that, I'd be happy to just do a 2-player Pyrros conquering Rome scenario.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Played a few Ageod games. Well, pretty much all of them. BoA is pretty amazing, with AJE firmly holding the second place. Both are great in terms of timeframe, scenarios, polish and artwork. Recently tried TYW and while I do dig the period, the artstyle bugged me. The artstyle? In a wargame? Yup. It feels tacky to me. Shame they lost the artist that made their earlier games so pleasing to look at. That and the fact that TYW needs a lot of patching kinda killed my interest in it.

Will have to try and give RUS another go. I burned out on it pretty quickly back in the day due to it feeling too narrow and scripted at times. I do believe they patched and polished it up nicely since, though.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
The original BoA was the first Ageod game I played, I agree that it was a great stuff. I have the sequel but haven't spent too much time. RUS was just too much fun and took my attention until AJE came out. The music in RUS is perfect for the setting, and there are some really terrific scenarios. The northern scenario between Soviets and the Finns really taught me how to play AGEOD games.

If you have the original RUS, you can get RUS Gold for $5 off the Ageod store. Then, you can register the serial number and get it activated on Steam for free if you want it on that platform.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Are they making a sequel to pride of nations? I thought they were busy working on a new Napoleon game. After that, I hope they visit the Peloponnesian War. They will definitely need a new and expanded engine to simulate a lot of it, though.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm still waiting for ACW2 to be on sale. 2 years old and still full price? Lolz.

Beowulf

Arcane
What's the purpose of cavalry raiding stacks? I only ever deploy little stacks of cavalry in AJE to scout where the enemy is, never to attack or raid or whatever. Am I failing to employ some crucial strategy? I don't even scout that much when I know where the enemy is or I have a clear goal, I just bring my cavalry back to the doomstacks.

I could play some AJE. Not the grand campaigns, though, unless we have more players. Perhaps if some others join we could do the year of four emperors or something. Failing that, I'd be happy to just do a 2-player Pyrros conquering Rome scenario.

Well, to be precise it would be a single unit "stack". The point is to move to hostile provinces in attack stance in order to raze/pillage it to deny the enemy some supply. But yeah, the cavalry/irregular recon works wonders.

As for AJE, I'm all for The year of four Emperors. Perhaps [SIZE=3][B]BlackAdderBG[/B][/SIZE] would be willing to join?

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
2 suckers all lined up and ready to get crushed. Otho will be victorious! I am good at history

Silva

Arcane
Can someone explain to me what the fun in these games ? I've tried to find it but couldn't. I even bought one of them a couple years ago but found the gameplay so shallow and unidimensional that I wonder if I wad playing the same game people were talking about.

So please, enlighten me. The question is honest - I want to like these games, as I'm big history and strategy fan. What's the jing ?

Are there any AGEOD games with multiple sides? Thirty Years' War seems to be just catholics vs. protestants, To End All Wars is Entente vs. Central powers. Revolution Under Siege has three sides, but two of them are permanently allied against the third.

PBEM game with 8 or more players with diplomacy left in the players' hands could be cool.

Burning Bridges

Can someone explain to me what the fun in these games ? I've tried to find it but couldn't. I even bought one of them a couple years ago but found the gameplay so shallow and unidimensional that I wonder if I wad playing the same game people were talking about.

So please, enlighten me. The question is honest - I want to like these games, as I'm big history and strategy fan. What's the jing ?

It's war and you control the armies.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Is it also a horrible, buggy mess that's more prone to crashing than a Russian snow plow driver in the middle of Vodka season, like their other games?

Kuattro

Augur
http://www.ageod.com/products/593/details/Wars.of.Napoleon

Wars of Napoleon has been released!

Anyone playing this? Apparently the allied nations can be controlled by the AI, which is a draw for me. Can anyone confirm? I don't like the idea of playing that WW1 game and having to control every single allied nation.

It looks a bit like what they wanted Napoleon's Campaigns II to be before Paradox gave it the double tap and turned it into that... thing. Those colonial provinces, etc.

If someone gets it, mind looking at Portugal's OOB? I worked on that and I'm curious if they used any of it.

In fact I'm tempted of getting it myself, but I only play single player and Athena is a bit lacking, to put it mildly. And those prices... damn the wargame's market!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom