Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Turn-Based Tactics Age of Fear: The Undead King

Mustawd

http://store.steampowered.com/app/351480/

Been playing some of this and it's a pretty simple, but fun, turn-based tacticool game. Anyone else play this? Didn't get much love here, but it's on par with Telepath Tactics production values (some of it is done better and some of it is done worse).

Initial impressions after 5 of the 20 hours it's supposed to take to finish both campaigns:

-The top down view is a bit old hat nowadays. I've seen it here and there in some games from a few years ago. Both this and its sequel have it; Driftmoon had it before they changed it; Templar Battleforce has it; Heroes of Steel has it.

-Not sure if it was accidental, but the tactical choices can get pretty interesting. One of the main reasons is there are no AOO, so there is free movement to disengage slower moving enemies to get better positioning. This can lead to pretty dynamic battle as overall positioning is important to avoid leaving too many holes in your layout. Also, there is definitely a sense of front and back lines, as you can't simply walk through people. Your units, as well as others, take up space. And getting close enough to ranged units actually restricts their LOS to what is immediately in front of them

-The HP system is pretty basic. Units can usually take 1-5 hits, depending on type. Which is nice as HP bloat is not really a huge thing (at least not yet).

-AI is pretty basic. I haven't seen any sophisticated tactics from them. Really, the majority of the difficulty comes from being outnumbered most of the time as well as the initial setup of the battle.

-Ambushes seem to be pretty common. I suspect it's because, while the tactics of a battle can be varied, you inevitably end up fighting a lot of the same type of battles. So the dev seems to throw ambushes in here and there to break it up. Kind of shows the weakness of its encounter design.

-Narrative is basic and very typical. That being said it's inoffensive, and there's little tweaks here and there to make you care about your units. For one, hey all get named (similar to X-com), so it's not just Swordsman A or B. Second, some units are weaved into the narrative whenever you get them. So although there's nothing special about them, you tend to want to keep them alive.

-It has a basic upgrade mechanic that gives you the choice for increasing armor, intelligence, attack, or upgrading the unity type to Veteran or Elite or converting it into a different but similar unit (e.g. Swordsman to Dual Weilder for example). There's not a lot of complexity here, and you tend to just pick whatever is available.

-Inventory is only used through the main character. And even that is a basic equip or not equip choice. Pretty superficial. Some of the bonuses are interesting (like a sword that can freeze units).

-Enemies are actually nicely varied. You have the typical 1 hit minion types; the hard hitting but slow ogres; the tough and medium speed orcs; the swarming zombies, etc etc.

-Biggest issue so far is a difficulty in controlling the facing direction. As well as the overall interface. It's pretty weak in both areas. Facing has implications, but hell if there is any way to control it. It takes some fiddling with where exactly you click to move your units. Good thing there is an Undo button for movement.

It's got its flaws, but I'm enjoying it so far. The battles are not overwhelmingly big, which I thought was a bit of a weak spot for Telepath Tactics tbh (especially due to the slow down). Which is good, as the relative quick completion time helps to mask some of the game's flaws (that I see so far).

Will probably post some more in depth thoughts with some screen shots.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mustawd

Part 2.

A few things I forgot to mention

-Morale is an important mechanic, and it will cause the enemy or your own troops to flee.
-The devs are updating the look of the maps to give them a bit more texture. Right now it looks like a bit of a watercolor mess.

Some screenshots:

The recruiting screen where you buy troops, upgrade them, and manage inventory.

20160506214147_1_zpsykow5o5w.jpg

Example of an ambush. This is the screen before the ambush:
20160506214447_1_zps7a0x3jbg.jpg

20160506214453_1_zpswo8k8squ.jpg

After the ambush.
First Attempt: I didn't react well and just charged the enemies outward. Needless to say it didn't go well. We all died as the zombies overwhelemed us.
20160506214900_1_zps2j9op9zo.jpg

20160506214905_1_zpsphqwny3w.jpg

Second attempt:
I decided to use my knight on horseback to attack the necromancer to the north. I was hoping the zombies would disappear once the necromancers were dead. Didn't work hehe.

20160506215413_1_zpsbjqbekwf.jpg

Last attempt: I moved my knight forward to the dark knight. I moved the rest of my column forward as fast as I could in hope I could outrun the zombies before they closed in. One guy got caught up in the zombie horde, but the plan worked for the most part. I was able to regorup to the north after dispatching the knight and necromancers. From there it was mostly clean up. But it was still tricky due to the skeleton warriors/archers. Overall pretty fun :)

20160506220808_1_zpsrftraxyi.jpg

20160506221745_1_zpshyssa0o0.jpg

At the end of the mission there was even a lil bit of C&C.

20160506222716_1_zpsvp2fa4lv.jpg

Mustawd

Game Update:

Dev is currently working on a HD version of the game to match the aesthetics of Age of Fear 2. Pretty cool IMHO. :salute:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/351480/announcements/detail/957390230044867085

Update released (v3.2.0)!
MAY 7 - LES
Hi all,

as usual a couple of weekend fixes and updates:

- bug fix: fixed disappearing tooltips (sometimes disappearing after battle in full-screen)

- 7 new items and artefacts: holy chalice, blood chalice, skull belt, etc.

- fire/cold/lighting/poison resistances - we are slowly moving into rock-paper-scissors design, where attack are more or less effective against certain kind of units

We have only 5 more terrains to re-drawn for AOF1!
Expect HD version soon!

http://steamcommunity.com/games/351480/announcements/detail/964144817026066211

Terrains re-drawning progress
APRIL 28 - LES
Hi all,

Below you can find a few re-worked levels from AOF series.
We have already re-drawn about 60% of all terrains!

Still few more months to go but the result will be definitelly worth it!

04A770F313C036169EE499F8A839323DB17DA4C3

F5423996A99594ECE56B7AC02EE03941A1B9B308

Mustawd

Finished the "good" campaign. The battles running up to the last mission(s) were pretty tough. At least for this campaign, it's extremely important to keep your veteran/elites soldiers alive. Yes, you can purchase more with gold, but they only have the base stats of that class. If you do it right, your army should have power ups and bonuses that really help to either give more of a punch or help with defense.

Towards the end I kind of screwed myself because my army was not balanced and really infantry heavy. I really could have used more mages for AoE firepower. The last mission is actually two missions back to back. The first is not too hard to beat, but difficult to keep everyone alive. The second mission has a ton more enemies, so my beat up army found it hard to effectively do crowd control. One or two more mages would have been a big help here.

I tried a few times to beat this but my unbalanced army was just sucking ass. I had basically fought myself into a corner. So I brought down the difficulty to easy and beat it. :?. It's ok though. I plan on doing a second run through of this campaign, since there are some secrets I want to find, and alternate paths. This time I'll play it straight on a harder difficulty.

I'm actually halfway through the second ("evil") campaign (each one runs about 10 hours if you have never played it before and with a few deaths), and can say I'm enjoying it a lot more than the good campaign. The units are more varied, and some of the stuff you can do with the main character are a lot more fun. Anyhow, I'll probably beat it today, and move on to Voidspire Tactics, as I've been neglecting it due to wanting to finish up this game.

Mustawd

A neat and underrated series.

Yes, it's surprisingly a simple, yet fun game. I wish terrain played more of a role, but for fantasy, the wide open spaces work ok I suppose. What's very cool is the morale mechanic, which reminds me a bit of X-com. Kill two or three enemies close by, and suddenly the morale of the surrounding units goes down and they flee. Don't think it affects the undead though. Which makes sense.

EDIT: Although it reminds me of X-com, the morale mechanic in this game is much more forgiving. Units can actually rally and shake off being rattled. Unlike in X-Com where they'd drop their weapons, run off, and never really were able to contribute again.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Dat live-action trailer tho :lol:

Actually I've got the game on my wishlist for a while. Question about unit abilities: are they more like Telepath Tactics where they have preset ranges, or are they more simulationist like X-COM?

Mustawd

It's more Telepath Tactics. Ranges are preset regardless of level or stats. It's a fun game but just be aware of the following:

-$13 is overpriced for this game. I get it that the dev is an indie and needs to keep prices high, but it's just not worth it at that level. Wait for a 50% discount. It gives a solid 20 hours of gameplay with a skirmish mode for random battles. So 50% discount is about right.

+ My understanding is that stats are not hardcoded into the game, so they can be adjusted if you want to mod it for balance purposes

-In the "good" campaign, ambushes are relied on a bit too heavily. The "evil" campaign has a lto less, and it's better for it.

-You can't easily control the facing direction of your units. You have to play around with it a bit to get them facing in the right direction. Can cause some issues when you have your units too close together as facing direction relies on where you can move. Since you can't change it at the beginning of a move, last turn's facing direction can mean you might not be able to move at all if someone else is in front of you.

+Game is getting an HD facelift in a couple of months. The dev still updates it with patches and tweaks here and there. Even though they've released a sequel. Dev is also on steam if you need to ask him anything.

-Unlike X-com, it's a one move and you're done kind of game. There is an undo button, but it is still annoying that you cannot move your units twice, even though you have not hit your maximum range.

But so far it's a fun game. I'd keep it on my wishlist if I were you, but would wait for a decent sale.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
:necro:

After seven years, Gold edition is coming:

Age of Fear is a turn-based strategy series that marries a tabletop wargame with elements of RPG. Age of Fear: The Undead King GOLD is an extended version of the original Age of Fear: The Undead King. The original game has been released seven years ago and since then the tactical RPG sphere moved toward Open World. This project aims to bring Age of Fear series to Open World!

Our fans know we frequently implement new features and update all our games. Since release we have introduced items, additional heroes, team-composition penalties, more focus on story, non-linearity and World Map, just to name a few. Now we would like to redesign the original Age of Fear: The Undead King into fantasy mercenary simulator (like a top down Battle Brothers with fireballs and a story!) and progressively add more exciting features.

FEATURE LIST
  • World Map known from Age of Fear series with non-linearity and all special locations!
  • Open World where you can endlessly explore the Age of Fear world. Fans of the series know it's not only randomised battles, but you can also capture enemies and build your own unique team from over 200+ distinct creatures!
  • Global Events that are fired while the player party is on the World Map, à la Battle Brothers. This feature is still being developed and could serve to provide more lore and enrich unit's interactions!
  • Player's Base which can be upgraded as you explore the Age of Fear world. Upgrades will enable additional units, skills and open extra locations!
  • Alignment such as Evil and Holy. This feature has been already introduced into Age of Fear series, but requires more work to make it more impactful - currently the game content is skewed too much toward Evil heroes.
  • Extended Story such as Krill's visions, alternative endings, detailed lore, etc.
  • ...everything else we come up with! - purchase only if you want to have access to the latest features in age of fear series and keep in mind that this is an evolving product.

The above list is not finite. We would also like to experiment more with some mechanics which might be not backward compatible with the current Age of Fear series or un-balance it too much. Therefore, expect changes and more amazing new stuff coming!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom