Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Age of Empires II HD: New Patch and Expansion announced

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Tags: Age of Empires II; HD

Patch3point91.jpg

Age of Empires II has received a new patch today. Most of the fixes are minor under the hood patches and changes.

Another thing of note is that Windows XP support is hereafter cancelled for their patches.

Oh, and I guess this is important too:

I am extremely excited to reveal that we’ll be working with the Forgotten Empires team to formally bring a new expansion to the Age of Empires franchise later this year.

No details have been revealed yet aside from there being new civilizations and campaigns.

Angthoron

Arcane
RPG land: "New RPG coming out!" "New indie RPG!" "Another shitty RPG!" "RPG with action and alien animu!"
Strategy & tactics: "...Well a new patch is out for a HD remake of a decade-old game?"

covr

Prophet
Patron
Also expansion, for a fucking great decade-old game. Imagine a new patch and add-on for Nox/Arcanum/M&M 7, etc. Codex would covered itself with cum and tears of joy.

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
How about they patch the fucking online multiplayer lag, those assholes. :argh:

zwanzig_zwoelf

Also expansion, for a fucking great decade-old game. Imagine a new patch and add-on for Nox/Arcanum/M&M 7, etc. Codex would covered itself with cum and tears of joy.
With puking and shitting hatred for milking their favorite game, you mean?

The forgotten isn't really played so much, so my aoe2 playing friend tells me. I'm sceptical :<

The biggest problem with aoe2 is the super dated engine. The frames per second or whatever is horrendous, so micro is downright painful.

That and I wish someone would patch it so that sword infantry becomes useful :<

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Eh? I thought that some factions are actually not half bad with champion spam, like fully upgraded Aztecs for example.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
RPG land: "New RPG coming out!" "New indie RPG!" "Another shitty RPG!" "RPG with action and alien animu!"
Strategy & tactics: "...Well a new patch is out for a HD remake of a decade-old game?"

Better than hearing about how Eugen stopped givign us wargame to make Act of Aggression... :negative:

Deleted member 7219

What I like about this is Microsoft have basically held up their hands and said, "Yeah, we can't do better and we know this has fans, so we're giving fans more of what they want."

This is a good precedent. Instead of remakes and shitty sequels, fans can get expansions. I can see how this will work for properties like AoE that don't constantly change owners.

Eh? I thought that some factions are actually not half bad with champion spam, like fully upgraded Aztecs for example.
Goths, yes, but they use huskarls. Aztecs are, as far as I know, a t3 civ. Champion spam may work, never seen it, but it is countered by archers, scorpions, horse archers and I'm sure there's more.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
They have 21 attack afair, so it's quite a punch for the price, but it's true that many games don't reach imperial age.

Angthoron

Arcane
AoE 2 needs an Amazons expansion to showcase strong women throughout history. It could have units like FEMEN Cleric, who would WOLOLO patriarchy units to turn into staunch allies of feminism.

Quatlo

Arcane
AoE 2 needs an Amazons expansion to showcase strong women throughout history. It could have units like FEMEN Cleric, who would WOLOLO patriarchy units to turn into staunch allies of feminism.

Why did you put this image in my head, is there nothing sacred for you? Even AoE2?

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Goths, yes, but they use huskarls. Aztecs are, as far as I know, a t3 civ. Champion spam may work, never seen it, but it is countered by archers, scorpions, horse archers and I'm sure there's more.

Ever Huskarl spam someone?

Loved hearing the guy swear all sort of profanities in portuguese when he realized his archers were raining feathers on my never-ending huskarl horde. Then he tried knights, but that was why I had some spearmen amongst the huskarl, and I could build never-ending huskarl from barracks anyway. Only thing that could've dented me was lots of mangonels, teutonic knight horde (slow as fuck, tough like a tank) or war elephants (the only thing tougher and slower than Teuton knights). Also catapharacts I think.
The Teutonic Knight horde is essentially like a tsunami, headed straight for your Town Center.

Loved hearing the guy swear all sort of profanities in portuguese when he realized his archers were raining feathers on my never-ending huskarl horde. Then he tried knights, but that was why I had some spearmen amongst the huskarl, and I could build never-ending huskarl from barracks anyway. Only thing that could've dented me was lots of mangonels, teutonic knight horde (slow as fuck, tough like a tank) or war elephants (the only thing tougher and slower than Teuton knights). Also catapharacts I think.
The Teutonic Knight horde is essentially like a tsunami, headed straight for your Town Center.
Sadly, this is another strategy that falls apart in multiplayer. Mangonels and onagers counters it too hard, and with micro so does archers.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

Sadly, this is another strategy that falls apart in multiplayer. Mangonels and onagers counters it too hard, and with micro so does archers.
You're ruining the joke.

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
Goths, yes, but they use huskarls. Aztecs are, as far as I know, a t3 civ.

Wut. Aztecs are among the strongest civs in the game, lah. They have the best dark age rush due to extra starting gold, increased villager carry capacity is actually a huge economy bonus, and they get both siege onagers and siege rams which in combination with op Aztec infantry makes them a scary late game force. They also get badass monks which can help against knights. You see them being played in pro games all the time, especially by pocket players in team games.

Champions might seem shit, but they have few uses here and there. They only cost 20 gold, allowing you to amass them easily (for every 4 archers you get 9 champions). They are great at killing trash units and a cheap counter to eagle warriors. Just put them in a ram and let loose on the enemy base. Jap, Aztec and Slav champions with their infantry attack bonuses are downright scary.

Last edited:
Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
All you retards probably haven't played the game past the singleplayer AI or else you would understand that until you reach high competitive level, the goths simply rules and games are ended before the Castle Age.

Unless you are a micro maniac, in which case the early archers counter becomes possible, there is no way to resist the 35% infantry discount they get. Feudal rush.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom