Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Age of Decadence September Update: Release date - October 14th!

Kem0sabe

Arcane
lmao what

So it's good if someone wants to review a game that's based on C&C and replayablity without actually replaying the game several times with different characters and getting the experience the game is trying to convey ? Like the point of a review is to write about the game and report on what kind of experience it conveys, avoiding a core design direction through cheating while doing so goes against the entire point of your endeavor. It's the same as saying that having a godmode cheat on is good if you want to review dark souls or I wanna be the guy or other such game and don't want to die a shit ton of times.

this is possibly one of the most retarded things I have read on this website and I spend most of my time in prosperland and gd

I was being ironic you cuck, because i bet most reviewers cheat the fuck out of games as to be able to finish them on time for release.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
With the predictable spiral towards :retarded: in the comments section raging over the graphics...... :negative:

That is just an excuse to dismiss an unknown studio. The game looks great, or at least it should for someone that can appreciate an isometric game. Just look at the comments:

“I'd be amazed if it's use of text is as deep and nuanced as Pillars”.

They are talking out of their hats. On the other hand, there is no such a thing as bad publicity for an unknown studio.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
That is just an excuse to dismiss an unknown studio. The game looks great, or at least it should for someone that can appreciate an isometric game. Just look at the comments:

“I'd be amazed if it's use of text is as deep and nuanced as Pillars”.

They are talking out of their hats. On the other hand, there is no such a thing as bad publicity for an unknown studio.

Hilarious stuff, AoD is one of the best written games I've ever played (from what I've seen in Early Access atleast). Of course it's very different in style than something like PST/KOTOR2 but it feels logical/realistic, every character from a back-alley thug to a grizzled veteran, cunning noble/ruler and scheming merchant (the SOB in your avatar for example) speak the way you expect them to which is a rarely achieved feat in video games.

And yeah, agree that the game looks good, it's only one of many examples that showcases that art direction trumps graphics/engine 9 times out of 10 and AOD's art direction is great (especially those sweet item icons and portraits).

Black

Arcane
Can we compile a list of things that were said to never, ever come out and yet did before AoD's release?
You know, Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, Duke Nuke'em Forever, Holocaust etc.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
While we're at it we should compile a list of users who wrote that Age of Decadence will never be released.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
The temple

23a5ef3d-4e23-400f-89a1-75ff27209877.jpg

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
It's a very bizarre feeling, going from "I'm gonna try to make an RPG and see what happens. How long can it take? A coupe of years?" to "Fuck, we worked for years and did only 3 locations out of 22, will it ever end? do people even live that long?" to "You know what, I'm going to quit my job and work on this game full time because ... no, I don't really know why" to "Fuck, we're actually working on the final location. How crazy is that?!"

That perseverance is a thing to be admired. On the Codex alone there are so many people with loads of game ideas... but you were the one to get off your ass and make them into a real game.

I remember trying the first combat demo and under all that "190% in a given skill" weirdness and quirks, there was this underlying "Man, it has potential, I want this game!". But if I told you back then that the game has to be completely revamped and molded into what it is now.... you probaly wouldn't listen anyway. And ban me from the ITS forum as a blaspheming troll.

M0RBUS

Augur
Can I just say that the game looks absolutely fantastic? I mean, the engine does a "good enough" job, the the art direction is pretty awesome, and the attention to detail in some areas... Man, it's hard to believe Oscar did it all himself, probably because he didn't do it all himself...

Did he? I mean, the level beautification and whatnot?

Also, I think it was a good balance change for the damage debuff on AP arrows. It didn't seem a good idea to use anything else before, unless you were going against peasants or whatnot.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
That was Kieron Gillen (the interviewer). He is no longer with RPS. I don't think anyone else would have posted it, so overall he gets the credit for it, not me (there were several interviews with other sites that never materialized).

Zeriel

Arcane
That interview is one of a kind. It's like basking in the nuclear warmth of a dying star.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom