Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Decadence Reviews

hell bovine

Arcane
You have to think about game rewards. Certain character builds lock off certain rewards. You don't want to just "beat the game". If you can't fight at all, there is a lot you will never see. To the degree you can actually make a character which can both fight and talk, you will sometimes reap twice the rewards and have multiple paths available to you. IMO there should be slightly more challenges specifically meant for those builds - optional fights which are not very tough (for a fighting character, but which might be tough for a talker) but are thresholded by "people skills". Playing as a Praetor mixing skills was IMO the hardest I've done in AoD.

It's a fact that a talky character make the game a "choose you own adventure book", a fighty character makes it a challenging turn-based combat game - and these experiences should be very different! It's also wrong that playing a talky character is trivial. You will have to make several reloads as you try out branches which end with too difficult skillchecks. Obviously going 100% all-in for one approach and never trying anything else is the easiest way, but that also holds true for combat. It's also not true that going for a "talky" path does not require player skill. If we take sneaking in to meet Antidas as an example, you need to find a way which is tailored to your specific array of skills.
You miss my point. This is not about being locked out of combat; I don't care about that. This is about the way the dialog checks in AoD work, which takes away the fun of playing a persuasive character for me. Just because you do not get to experience what a combat character would, doesn't in any way excuse the content you do get to experience as a talkative character: easy and lacking challenge. Should a street fight with thugs be difficult for a beginner? Definitely. But in that same game staging a coup is a walkin in the park. All you need is enough points and you will make those conversation checks (and my merchant finished with 7 in persuasion and streetwise, so they are not even that high), and that's it, quest solved. Regime toppled. And the plot design can be ridiculously hand-holding in that aspect.
See, I actually had one moment of thinking, that's it, my merchant has a snowball's chance in hell. That was at the first level of the temple, meeting that machine thingy. Because you can't sweet-talk your way around a machine. But then the dialogue window pops up and conveniently explains, that you need to find someone to fight it for you. I don't remember the exact quote, but it's about someone fanatical or religious enough. So my merchant travels back to the zealot city, an guess who conveniently stands right next to the city entrance? And of course sticks out like a sore thumb, by virtue of being an NPC you can talk too in an otherwise quite empty city. After exchanging a few words he is all to happy to fight for you. And that's it, you're in.
That is supposed to be good quest design? The game literally tells you the solution to what should be the biggest obstacle to a non-combat character.

Mozg

Arcane
I thought that was pretty easily the most contrived solution and clumsiest hint in the game, yup.

I'd bet money that was tacked on near the end of development because they'd accidentally left out any pure talk-fu path to the Zig.

I'd have much preferred there be some talkmaster way to get some loremaster type to fix the Dead River bridge or something.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
That is supposed to be good quest design? The game literally tells you the solution to what should be the biggest obstacle to a non-combat character.
Originally, neither the zealot not the 'mysterious contraption' nearby were in. The player was expected to use his brains, realize that the construct isn't attacking or moving past the doorway, go buy some bombs and throw them at him. Or use the nullifier. However, it stopped a lot of people dead, big time. So we caved in and added the zealot and grenade and convenient instructions. Guess what? I have to explain it on a daily basis (3 times today so far). No, you aren't stuck, go to Ganezzar, talk to the zealot...

hell bovine

Arcane
Originally, neither the zealot not the 'mysterious contraption' nearby were in. The player was expected to use his brains, realize that the construct isn't attacking or moving past the doorway, go buy some bombs and throw them at him. Or use the nullifier. However, it stopped a lot of people dead, big time. So we caved in and added the zealot and grenade and convenient instructions. Guess what? I have to explain it on a daily basis (3 times today so far). No, you aren't stuck, go to Ganezzar, talk to the zealot...
Then I have to ask: why not simply make the hint system optional? Why have you decided that all players, who choose the non-combat approach need hand-holding? I am sure that plenty of players are complaining about the difficulty of combat, and it wasn't as dumbed down.

After the first city (despite the faults of the dialogue system becoming obvious) I've still thought: now the political intrigue gets rolling. Instead it gets simply easier as the story progresses. To be honest, I don't think reworking the way skill points are checked for in dialogue would even make the non-combat path better. Because the game approaches dialogue as you would combat: you either win or loose. Except that unlike combat, it decides that the player can't handle too much difficulty; reading is tough enough, I suppose.

It shouldn't be as easy to stage a coup as sweet-talking a few people. In fact, in order to make it tough for non-combat character you don't need skills such as persuasion at all. All it requires is expanding on quest design like in that loremaster conflict in the first city: multiple outcomes, but you don't learn straight away what they are going to be. If your quest is to stage a coup, then your character should expect betrayal at every turn, and act accordingly. After all - three may keep a secret, if two of them are dead.

naossano

Cipher
Originally, neither the zealot not the 'mysterious contraption'
That made me imagine the mysterious stranger perk from Fallout into the Age Of Decadence.
10 hours of antic rome and fear of the blade, then the guy with the mysterious magnum is coming to kill enemies from afar...

No, it has no links to the current topic.

Vault Dweller

Developer
http://steamcommunity.com/app/230070/discussions/0/490123938444773165/
^ case in point

[Spoilers] [Help] DEAD END at Hellgate - late merchant with persuation and streetwise
This game is ruined not by its difficulty, it's ruined by it's dead ends.

I was an extremely careful merchant, finished Ganezzar and now have a quest to find temple.
And there is NOTHING I can do to progress - dead end.
sigh

Then I have to ask: why not simply make the hint system optional? Why have you decided that all players, who choose the non-combat approach need hand-holding? I am sure that plenty of players are complaining about the difficulty of combat, and it wasn't as dumbed down.
Because developing an optional hint system takes time.

It shouldn't be as easy to stage a coup as sweet-talking a few people.
That's exactly how Napoleon came to power. He was sweet-talked into it and he wasn't even the first choice. Candidate #1 refused the honor.

The coup is already in progress. You aren't setting it up, you're talking influential people into backing it up after.

Athelas

Arcane
But in the end, is it all worth it? Absolutely, yes it is. You will not find a more player-driven game this year, with the possible exception of Fallout 4, which hasn't come out yet.
I can't think of higher praise any reviewer could give.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Well using little easter eggs to solve critical quest path is not the most intuitive design.
I personally just used grenades and never noticed mercenary (although I might have ignored text with robot because of multiple playthroughs). Hiring someone to kill people for you is a novelty for AoD even if you played game many times, so no wonder people get stuck on first playthrough. If Merchant had some sort of access to hiring guys to fight for him in the beginning or mid game, players would't get so confused.

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
You don't hire the guy, you convince him to prove his faith by killing the "demon". I discovered that on my own in my weak grifter playthrough, but I admit it can be confusing and non-intuitive (no hints about it).

hell bovine

Arcane
http://steamcommunity.com/app/230070/discussions/0/490123938444773165/
^ case in point

sigh

Because developing an optional hint system takes time.

That's exactly how Napoleon came to power. He was sweet-talked into it and he wasn't even the first choice. Candidate #1 refused the honor.

The coup is already in progress. You aren't setting it up, you're talking influential people into backing it up after.
The problem is, there isn't anything else to it. You talk to a few people, pass the check, congrats, you've staged a coup. And sure, you can present political intrigue that way, but it would be boring in a book, and it is boring in a game.

I am pretty sure you get complaints about the difficulty of combat encounters, are you going to make them that easy too? I just don't get the idea of dumbing down entire dialogue-driven quest lines for everyone, because some players will complain about it otherwise.

I am not sure many will get the reference:

but yeah, just tax the stupid people!

Esquilax

Arcane
The more checks you give players with particular skill like that, the more glaring abscence of these checks becomes in situations that may be even more appropriate (in Monastery killing leader is a Stat+Stat check instead of Stat+CS check for example).

Yes, the lack of CS options in certain areas is strange, where it would be completely logical to have them there. If making CS overpowered is a concern, then make the skill check high to ensure that only people who are either really physically gifted or really precise with the dagger can pass the check. A CS check of around 7 or 8 should be logical for the Monastery fight or Hermon's gang in the Slums.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
I wanted to post this earlier but the date says "September 27th".

Here's a recent review though: https://pressplaynews.wordpress.com/2015/10/28/the-age-of-decadence-review-pc/

The Age of Decadence is an RPG in the true sense of the word. Or three words. It’s a genre that we commonly associate with action RPGs these days – with franchises like The Witcher, The Elder Scrolls and Final Fantasy all featuring their own blend of combat. In those games, combat is actually a prerequisite for success, and something you’ll engage in often so you can level up your skills and face tougher enemies later on. Not so in The Age of Decadence – here, story development takes center stage, and not stat building.
While most games will push you to become stronger so you can wield more powerful weapons or cast better spells, here you make choices based on where you feel the story going in the near future. It’s hard to explain without giving any spoilers away, but it fits with the fact that there are many ways to play this game. You can avoid combat almost completely (ignoring areas that require an assault to access), or you can choose a more muscle-heavy approach. The (turn-based) combat doesn’t get any easier though, which is why we dubbed this approach “The Age of Perseverance”

Cadmus

Arcane
Yes, the lack of CS options in certain areas is strange, where it would be completely logical to have them there. If making CS overpowered is a concern, then make the skill check high to ensure that only people who are either really physically gifted or really precise with the dagger can pass the check. A CS check of around 7 or 8 should be logical for the Monastery fight or Hermon's gang in the Slums.
I expected a CS check anytime I had an option to "approach" a bunch of assholes who were obviously going to try to get some money out of me and I think this expectation was justified by the game doing exactly that early on in Teron.

Hell bovine is a fucking retarded cunt by the way, don't listen to her.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
http://crpg.insi.pl/recenzje/age-of-decadence/3735a

7+/10 (i.e. 7.5/10)

Cons according to this reviewer are graphics, camera, frustrating save&load marathon. Also, according to him Teron is the best, later on quality drops and the game becomes too hard. Can't agree with that. While Ganezzar is a bit rough around the edges, Maadoran and its satellite locations is the most interesting part of the game IMO.

Cadmus

Arcane
Guys, I think I'm losing the will to play after the 3rd playthrough.
Should I give up and play Skyrim? I hear you can roleplay better because the game doesn't get in your way.

valcik

Arcane
I expected a CS check anytime I had an option to "approach" a bunch of assholes who were obviously going to try to get some money out of me and I think this expectation was justified by the game doing exactly that early on in Teron.
So you basically want to be superhero who single handedly kills well prepared and aware robbers going on their usual routine of robbing newcomers? That'đ perhaps the most RETARTET thing I've read here.

Cadmus

Arcane
So you basically want to be superhero who single handedly kills well prepared and aware robbers going on their usual routine of robbing newcomers? That'đ perhaps the most RETARTET thing I've read here.
Nah, it's ok, it's just slightly disappointing when the pattern is the same but the outcome is different. Not a big deal and I understand the reasons for it.

Vault Dweller

Developer
http://www.bitcultures.com/reviews/the-age-of-decadence-review/

My whole weekend is gone, and yet . . . I still feel like I haven’t scratched the surface of this game. There are so many routes to be taken and so many decisions to be made!! Steam says I’ve played for 11 hours, and yet I’m not even done finishing the storyline on one character out of a possible eight. This is probably going to be the game I come back to most for months to come. I will also confidently say that if an expansion pack ever comes out, this company is getting my money immediately.
Conclusion: It’s with great pleasure that I say that Age of Decadence is a game I love. I couldn’t have been happier to have been given the opportunity to review it. It’s a fun, engaging game with a seemingly endless amount of depth, leaving me truly surprised that a team of only six people were able to create it. You can tell that they spent a long time trying to make this game as great and hardcore as it is now. I can’t wait to see what they decide to do next.

Mozg

Arcane
I often wonder how well this game could have done this year if it had graphics that matched those of a triple A title. Maybe more people would be willing to try it.

Could be!

Weasel

kvQSvzS.jpg

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
How it is 8 story lines?

There are 4 organisations (IG, Boatmen, Thief, Mechant) and 3 houses.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom