Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Age of Decadence Reviews

Discussion in 'Iron Tower Studio' started by Infinitron, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Cadmus Arcane

Cadmus
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    What - so he doesn't like playing a lying murder-hobo. I think that's a completely valid point of view. Same as you wouldn't like playing a pink-haired trans teen. It's not for everybody.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Lurker King Arcane The Real Fanboy

Lurker King
    Parrots:
    It's a hypocrisy because 99% of cRPG games revolve around violence and conquering. The difference is that most of them have cardboard characters and simplistic story lines so that there is no thought about the stuff you do in gameplay. But AoD is well written, the characters are believable and the events are portrayed in a realistic manner. I would have no problems playing with a pink-haired trans teen if xir and the world around xir were believable. LOL

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Cadmus Arcane

Cadmus
    Parrots:
    You're right the world is more believable but that makes you play an asshole. In Skyrim (the best RPG) you don't play the asshole, you play a good guy who kills totally evil orcs and shit. As I said, it's just not for everyone. I think the complaint is valid as the person was not the target audience.

• WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 2
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Lurker King Arcane The Real Fanboy

Lurker King
    Parrots:
    Not good enough. I can explain why I don’t like a movie while recognizing that is a good movie for a certain genre. The same thing applies to cRPGs. Just because you don’t enjoy dealing with assholes doesn’t entitle you to dismiss the writing and down vote the game. It's not an impartial criticism.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017 at 5:49 PM
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Black Angel Scholar

Black Angel
    Parrots:
    Did you missed this?
    Adding to that, you can help Caius Amerius with regaining his house. You can also keep your word with the dirty guy by the well, you can be buddy-buddy with the assholes in the Slums (and get mugged in one of them). There's actually a LOT of opportunities and dialogue options to be the good guy. I don't understand how that guy missed them after tens of hours of gameplay...

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Lurker King Arcane The Real Fanboy

Lurker King
    Parrots:
    People need to differentiate their personal tastes from impartial tasting. You can frown on white wine, but still be able to evaluate whether it is good white wine or not. The same thing holds for cRPGs.

^ Top  
  7. PlanHex Arcane Patron

PlanHex
    Parrots:
    Made me think that Steam could do something like they did with curators, but even if Steam reviews had the same recommended/not recommended/informational review distinctions that the curator system has now, then people doing "meh, not for me" reviews would probably still give it thumbs down rather than mark it "informational"...

^ Top  
  8. Make America Great Again Irenaeus Self-Ejected Patron Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy

Irenaeus
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
    A better comparison is Fallout. In it, you can be good, self-interested (neutral) or evil. In AoD, you can only be self-interested (neutral) or evil.

• Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Vault Dweller Ubersturmfuhrer, Iron Tower Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    Parrots:
    Good can only work in black and white situations. Slavers - bad. Opposing slavers - good. Supermutants killing people - bad, fighting super mutants - good (even if the master's motivations weren't entirely evil). AoD has different factions playing in the same backyard, so you can't do good for your faction without doing what other factions would consider "evil". Furthermore, you can't do good for your faction by performing abstract good deeds as they won't solve their problems and achieve their goals.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Yuge! Yuge! x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Excidium II Arcane

Excidium II
    Parrots:
    IG are the good guys.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Make America Great Again Irenaeus Self-Ejected Patron Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy

Irenaeus
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
    You should play their first mission.

^ Top  
  12. Excidium II Arcane

Excidium II
    Parrots:
    Carrinas does not represent the imperial guard. Although at least he forced the leadership out of complacency.

• Salute Salute x 3
    ^ Top  
  13. Black Angel Scholar

Black Angel
    Parrots:
    Arrange an alliance between Carrinas and Antidas and boom - best possible outcome achieved. And a 'good' one at that.

• Nuke it from orbit Nuke it from orbit x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Make America Great Again Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis, Hater of Eternity

Darth Roxor
    Parrots:
    nope

the goodest ending is to nuke it from orbit arm's reach

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. HeatEXTEND Educated

HeatEXTEND
    Parrots:
    Classifying good/evil as such and putting it in AoD would have taken another 3 years of development :lol:

Show Spoiler
    :bounce::bounce::bounce:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Black Angel Scholar

Black Angel
    Parrots:
    Actually, Miltiades ending is the best ending.

• Smug Smug x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)