Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Decadence Reviews

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
this french one (from Dragon's lair)
http://www.dagonslair.com/tests-de-jeux/solo/2015-2/ageofdecadence/

must be read, absolutly hilarious
where is that hipster image, VD avatar with glasses etc
basically he's complaining about the difficulty of the game, despite all the warnings before and during the adventure.He's complaining of not be able to save during the fights, or even about the lack of an auto regen system, and the skillscheck system.But if the chara screen is really from his review (I doubt), with 182 points in the pool, he would have less missed them.The fact is his build is shitty.In the early review, he told he wanted to create an intellectual chara (glasses) with knowledge, but the game has forced him to go for an hybrid build with fighter skills

mon universitaire binoclard (comme le jeu insiste lourdement sur le fait qu’il est difficile, j’ai choisi la connaissance à barbiche au coup de crâne rasé) s’est retrouvé au fil des heures à investir tous ses points de compétence dans l’esquive
while the chara screen shows no point in dodge

So he fucked his build and then he's complaining about his incapacity to succesfully pass the checks which led him to fight, die and reload ...

Toutes mes tentatives de discrétion, de négociation, de recherche, de ruse ou de subtilité ont explosé en vol suite à un impératif de compétence (si possible totalement à côté de la plaque) manqué. Qui se solde invariablement par un affrontement.

Last edited:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Our metacritics score dropped to 79, courtesy of PC Power Play review - 6/10

"An ambitious game hobbled by laborious, unsatisfying combat and a "ready-made" approach to quest design that undermines player autonomy. [Dec 2015, p.58]"

Other notable PC Powerplay reviews:

Far Cry 2 - 10/10 - The unique setting, brilliant AI and palpable atmosphere, make Far Cry 2 a quintessential PC gaming experience. [Dec 2008, p.63]

Mass Effect 2 - 10/10 - A stunning example of cross-game persistence, genre-blending and adaptive narrative. [Mar 2010, p.62]

Skyrim - 10/10 - Bethesda's finest hour and one of the greatest RPGs of all time. [Christmas 2011, p.47]

Beyond Earth - 10/10 - Beyond Earth is the finest thing that Firaxis has made and a game that we suspect we'll be playing for a long time to come. [Dec 2014, p.52]

Last edited:

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Well, you do undermine player's autonomy to do everything and everyone, unlike bioware, so...

Cadmus

Arcane

"An ambitious game hobbled by laborious, unsatisfying combat and a "ready-made" approach to quest design that undermines player autonomy. [Dec 2015, p.58]"

Other notable PC Powerplay reviews:

Far Cry 2 - 10/10 - The unique setting, brilliant AI and palpable atmosphere, make Far Cry 2 a quintessential PC gaming experience. [Dec 2008, p.63]

Mass Effect 2 - 10/10 - A stunning example of cross-game persistence, genre-blending and adaptive narrative. [Mar 2010, p.62]

Skyrim - 10/10 - Bethesda's finest hour and one of the greatest RPGs of all time. [Christmas 2011, p.47]

Beyond Earth - 10/10 - Beyond Earth is the finest thing that Firaxis has made and a game that we suspect we'll be playing for a long time to come. [Dec 2014, p.52]
Some fucking retards still believe that having 8 options how to approach a quest that are handcrafted by the designers is more restrictive than a quest compass pointing to the NPC you must kill2win because you can shoot him with a bow, spell, stab with a dagger or sword or say No and do the quest later. I've met those people and it boggles the mind.

I recommended AoD to a friend who we always argue with about "wats n RPG" and he was disappointed he couldn't sneak everywhere as his character idea dictated and quit the game immediately.
He said:" But the game gave me this option in the chargen and then I can't use it to win the game, wtf." and he went back to Skyrim even though he says it's retarded and boring. Go figure.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
found this review interesting :lol:

Pro: - Setting is somewhat interesting. Roman like setting with fantasy and steam punk mixed in. - Items fit nicely into the setting and are somewhat realistic. Gladius swords, roman armor, nets, greek fire etc - The combat system is well thought out - there is a crafting and alchemy system - Choices and consequences at every step - Combat is hard Con: - The game grafic engine is abysmal. Looks worse then the oldest isometric rpgs. - The world feels lifeless and bland. - every location is small without many things to do. even the cities. - no hidden treasures, no real incentive for exploration - Quest density is very low. 5 Quests in the starter city, 4 in the second, even less in the third and next to no in the fourth in a playthrough with merchant. Wasn't better as combat character, but you get different quests. Playtime of a social character was 4 hours by me. - Quests are not very interesting. - No interactivity with the game world. You can not light campfires or use torches in dungeons. - Stat and skill checks at every corner. You can not even have a dialogue without skill checks. So you save your skillpoints for the next quest, check out what skills you need and reload invest your skillpoints to satisfy the skill checks. - Very rigid stat and skill system. The skill points are so rare that you can not invest in many different skills. So for combat characters it is one weapon skill, one defensive skill and perhaps alchemy or crafting to augment your char. Hybrid characters are next to unplayable. What you miss in combat skills will loose you all ability to fight. Only expert players can make them workable. - Difficulty for fights is over the top. Even the first fights are next to impossible when you do not know what are doing. You have to build a optimized character to even win the first fight in the game. It is very frustrating. RNG heavy.AoD feels more like a textadventure then a roleplaying game.I can only recommend this game for extreme masochists.

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
5 Quests in the starter city, 4 in the second, even less in the third and next to no in the fourth in a playthrough with merchant.
Fourth city, huh? That's some hidden developer version they were playing.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
5 Quests in the starter city, 4 in the second, even less in the third and next to no in the fourth in a playthrough with merchant.

That IG camp site is a city (Caer Tor). Well, was a city before it became a camp. And theres nothing to do there for a merchant.

likaq

Arcane
PCPowerPlay on aod in 2008:

You know why Rome was so strong? Identity. They had one. And now this game, Age of Decadence, is trying to steal it. Because this is a fantasy isometric RPG with turn-based combat that takes place in a post-apocalyptic, almost-Roman world. Inspired by the Fall of the Roman Empire, is what the developer says. Gibbons and all that. Quite how scrabbling around in the remains of a technologically and culturally superior empire is "decadent", I'm not sure.

Intriguingly, AOD uses the Torque Engine, the heavil ymodified but still direct descendant of the code that powered the venerable Tribes 2 (released in 2001). Which explains the graphics. There's also about 9000 words of really bad backstory on the website, followed by a challenge in the footer that reads: "Got something to say? Email us at info@irontowerstudio.com". The choice is yours.

As for the game itself, the characters are blocky, the environments garish. Still, $20 worth of RPG action is not something to be sniffed at. We'll reserve judgement... just.

WHY AGE OF DECADENCE FREAKS ME OUT

- Uses a tweaked version of the Tribes 2 engine
- Kador "leafs" an "excellent source of quality poison"
- Turn-based combat with action points (to match graphics)
- Developer too lazy to research real Ancient Rome

author: Anthony Fordham

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...ralias-biggest-pc-gaming-rag-talks-aod.22977/

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy

That IG camp site is a city (Caer Tor). Well, was a city before it became a camp. And theres nothing to do there for a merchant.

Can't you sell some shit? That's what merchants are supposed to do, dummy

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
I've been on the net since the days of text based web browsers so I know this shouldn't surprise me but seriously can some folks town down their criticisms so they sound reasonable?

Hate?
Fordfuck?

C'mon kids. Lets act and speak like we have some form of critical thought and are able to make our opinions felt without resorting to saying we hate the opposition or making really weak puns with swear words.

Most people being criticised will spot stuff like that and completely ignore the rest of what you say regardless of how legitimate your argument may be.

#LMAO

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Please, I won't take you seriously till you get a below-failing grade from a major site. As Biggie said, you're nobody till somebody kills you. Plus, I'm always suspicious of games where the Metascore > User Score.

t

Arcane
Patron
PCPowerPlay on aod in 2008:

You know why Rome was so strong? Identity. They had one. And now this game, Age of Decadence, is trying to steal it. Because this is a fantasy isometric RPG with turn-based combat that takes place in a post-apocalyptic, almost-Roman world. Inspired by the Fall of the Roman Empire, is what the developer says. Gibbons and all that. Quite how scrabbling around in the remains of a technologically and culturally superior empire is "decadent", I'm not sure.

Intriguingly, AOD uses the Torque Engine, the heavil ymodified but still direct descendant of the code that powered the venerable Tribes 2 (released in 2001). Which explains the graphics. There's also about 9000 words of really bad backstory on the website, followed by a challenge in the footer that reads: "Got something to say? Email us at info@irontowerstudio.com". The choice is yours.

As for the game itself, the characters are blocky, the environments garish. Still, $20 worth of RPG action is not something to be sniffed at. We'll reserve judgement... just.

WHY AGE OF DECADENCE FREAKS ME OUT

- Uses a tweaked version of the Tribes 2 engine
- Kador "leafs" an "excellent source of quality poison"
- Turn-based combat with action points (to match graphics)
- Developer too lazy to research real Ancient Rome

author: Anthony Fordham

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...ralias-biggest-pc-gaming-rag-talks-aod.22977/
So he looked at the website of the game. Such in depth analysis. Huh.

Red Rogue

Learned
I'm looking for an RPG to plow through because for the following month I won't have any classes. I was looking at Pillars of Eternity but it doesn't seem to be very well received around these parts. Age of Decadence is a decent bit cheaper and looks pretty interesting.

Is Pillars of Eternity worth a playthrough or should I stick with this? I'd really prefer to only sink my teeth into one at first.

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
PoE was hated here indeed, people who supported it were banned and shit. AoD is hard and unforgiving compared to it, maybe too much for casuals. I'd recommend Fallout 4, Codex favourite game at the moment, but it's also expensive as fuck.

My advice: Look into Codex Top 70 games, you can't go wrong with the tops.

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I'm looking for an RPG to plow through because for the following month I won't have any classes. I was looking at Pillars of Eternity but it doesn't seem to be very well received around these parts. Age of Decadence is a decent bit cheaper and looks pretty interesting.

Is Pillars of Eternity worth a playthrough or should I stick with this? I'd really prefer to only sink my teeth into one at first.

AOD >>>>>>> POE

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Pillars was hated here, because it was funded with the promise of a new Baldur’s Gate 2, but has only the looks. The core systems cater to causals. Try Age of Decadence. Another game is Underrail, which will be released on December 21, and it’s also mighty good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom